Sponsored by:

WTB cayman interseries

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTB cayman interseries

Title says it all. I know this is a long shot. I'm moving to a new car and considering all my options. Love the cayman interseries cars. leads greatly appreciated.

rscotto@nycap.rr.com
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Title says it all. I know this is a long shot. I'm moving to a new car and considering all my options. Love the cayman interseries cars. leads greatly appreciated.

rscotto@nycap.rr.com
This may not be what you want to hear, but I did a lot of research on buying these, and you're best off buying a new car from Napleton Motorsports in Chicago. I checked out the used market for these cars, and the resale is ridiculously high. A new car will run you around $120K with some options, and you'll pay over $100K for a used car. They've made 50 cars or so to date, but there are very few used cars available. I was just at the track with a guy that bought one, and he said the guy who sold it to him offered him $5K to buy it back!

The new cars have a number of upgrades that make it worth your while. They have a bigger 6-pot brake kit, custom front ducts, improved rear cooling, larger diameter roll cage, better tranny cooler incorporating a fan, updated shock valving, larger diameter sway bars, and the updated (non-recalled) fuel pump.

I can tell you this car is just unbelievable on the track. I don't have Cup Car experience, but people who've driven this car who do, say although it doesn't have the horsepower, it's much smoother and handles better. It's also about 1/3 of the running cost of a Cup car.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by umwolverine
I can tell you this car is just unbelievable on the track. I don't have Cup Car experience, but people who've driven this car who do, say although it doesn't have the horsepower, it's much smoother and handles better. It's also about 1/3 of the running cost of a Cup car.
Thanks. Can't see buying a new one and building a race cayman is out of the question. Not building another race car. The Cayman I cars seem like great cars although should be as fast as my 964cup. I'm also looking at 996 cups. The running cost and handeling of a Cayman appeal to me.

Thanks Bob
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Can't see buying a new one and building a race cayman is out of the question. Not building another race car. The Cayman I cars seem like great cars although not as fast as my 964cup. I'm also looking at 996 cups. The running cost and handeling of a Cayman appeal to me.

Thanks Bob
You wouldn't be building it. The cars are built and prepped by Napleton up near Chicago. GREAT deal for what you get. Excellent cars.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AutoAtlanta
You wouldn't be building it. The cars are built and prepped by Napleton up near Chicago. GREAT deal for what you get. Excellent cars.
Thanks that is understood. I didn't want to build a pca spec Cayman
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 381 Likes on 222 Posts

Not to disagree but I know of a very nice one that just went for around 80 (just north of I think)- this was with a lot more setup and equipment than Napleton provides. God knows I wanted to buy it- and completely understand why you would want one. The things are marvelous. I don't know any leads at this time but think if you're patient you will find one at a good price.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman or a Cup Car???? I think its a no brainer. No matter how nice the Cayman is its still not a factory built race car. At least not yet. From what I hear you looked at one of the nicest 996 Cups on the market this weekend. Just buy it and go have fun in a class with tons of other cars not just a select few.
My $.02s
Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

+2 for the interseries, they are a great ride.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, Scott Lyman from up your way had two listed a few months back. I'd guess they've sold, but he know may know of more available.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 369 Posts

rscotto@nycap.rr.com
Bob, I spoke w/ several guys that purchased CIS cars this spring, believe it or not the feeling was that you will end up paying close to the same price whether buying used or new and the newer cars are a much better value.

Have you talked w/ Spenser?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

what everyone *really* wants to say is.. the Napleton cars are junk. Run. Buy a used Cup and have the engine and tranny freshened.

Cage is junk/Unsafe. A pillar tubes are not welded to the chassis A pillars (like a cup car) and it has NO knee bar tying them together??

Who drills 3 inch holes 1/2 inch above the exhaust to pass a remote canister through.. a line that can be removed and a 1/2 inch hole drilled??

Rear shock mounts are for a 996/997.. Not a Boxster/Cayman

Take a good look at the rear anti-roll bar and tell us how you think it functions. Many race car shops agreed with one individual "It's a prybar" there is no way it works properly.

The list goes on and on.. someone above me suggested calling "Spencer". Call him.

Get any number of pro drivers who have driven the cars.. away from general population and ask them "what they really think". Not the canned response the marketing people gave them when asked about the cars.

One quote: "I thought I was going to die, the car was diabolical"

The issue is: they sold most of the cars to people who don't really know better. They just wrote the check and took delivery.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts

Bob - Buy Mike I's 05 Cup car, new motor and tranny, ready to race, take the $40K you saved and use it over the next two years for tires and full support if you want to blow it.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Just found the most interesting thread on Rennlist.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I've been trying to figure out the allure of the cayman interseries cars for some time. For the cost of one you can get a good used real factory race 996 cup and have enough money left over to run a season. Or even take a run at a used 997 cup, if the price is as high as quoted. And after a couple of seasons what do you have? With the cup it is still a factory built race car whereas with the cayman inter car it is a beat up shop built car and we all know what beat up shop built cars are selling for.
Buy the cup or better yet, race your 964 cup if you still have it.
I do not believe Napleton has sold anywhere near 50 cayman inter cars and doubt they are going to be able to build a real class of cars at those prices, unlike factory cups.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking for the results from NJMP last weekend to see the lap times of the Interseries cars vs. our Cayman Grand Am GS car. Fred C qualified it at 1:31.0. I suspect the Interseries cars are 3-4 sec slower. I was at Mid Ohio race and there were a number of interseries cars. The fastest qualifier ran 1:40.7 and an 06 GT 3 Cup ran a 1:32.9. Why buy a slow car!

Quick Reply: WTB cayman interseries