Sponsored by:

WTB cayman interseries

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bob - Buy Mike I's 05 Cup car, new motor and tranny, ready to race, take the $40K you saved and use it over the next two years for tires and full support if you want to blow it.
Gary you have a PM
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I've been trying to figure out the allure of the cayman interseries cars for some time. For the cost of one you can get a good used real factory race 996 cup and have enough money left over to run a season. Or even take a run at a used 997 cup, if the price is as high as quoted. And after a couple of seasons what do you have? With the cup it is still a factory built race car whereas with the cayman inter car it is a beat up shop built car and we all know what beat up shop built cars are selling for.
Buy the cup or better yet, race your 964 cup if you still have it.
I do not believe Napleton has sold anywhere near 50 cayman inter cars and doubt they are going to be able to build a real class of cars at those prices, unlike factory cups.
964 cup sold. The allure of the IC is an 8k replacement engine and a 4k Tranny.
VS a 30k engine tranny refresh after 90-100hrs .
Diabolical ridiculous the one i was in was stupid easy to drive compared to a 964cup. the 996 cup I have driven was also relatively easy to drive. Maybe I don't no any better since I learn early 911's

Rgrds Bob
Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

If you want a really well sorted Cayman racecar, BGB Motorsports had their black #38 Grand Am GS car on display and for sale at NJMP last weekend. Call John Tecce and discuss it with him. It will be faster and more sorted than an Interseries car. If you want the whole enchilada in an Cayman, it's the one single car on the market right now that has it all.

And I am pretty sure that if you want to write a check for a try before you buy, you could run it at Mid-Ohio in a few weeks. I know that until it sells they are trying to fill the seat in it for every GA event run. It's for rent to my knowledge.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
If you want a really well sorted Cayman racecar, BGB Motorsports had their black #38 Grand Am GS car on display and for sale at NJMP last weekend. Call John Tecce and discuss it with him. It will be faster and more sorted than an Interseries car. If you want the whole enchilada in an Cayman, it's the one single car on the market right now that has it all.

And I am pretty sure that if you want to write a check for a try before you buy, you could run it at Mid-Ohio in a few weeks. I know that until it sells they are trying to fill the seat in it for every GA event run. It's for rent to my knowledge.
Thanks. Exchanged quite a few emails with John Today. That is definitely the best car out there that I know of. John was extremely helpful. I think the Caymans are a great platform and Faster is not always more fun.

Rgrds Bob
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Call Will @ Precision Motorsports Racing in NJ @908-832-6572, he supports a few of them. Good Luck
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
964 cup sold.

The end of an era.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard that the setup on these CI cars is way off, and the formula is hardly a spec because only Napleton will build them and won't let anyone duplicate it.
Nevertheless, I'm astounded to hear that they've rolled out nearly 50 of them, I can't imagine.
Because I love the retro graphic idea, I'd love to see as many different renditions as possible. Can we post photos somewhere?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't comment on the build quality, but the cars are well under 2.10 at the Glen.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

One other comment I'll make is that I can confirm that they have built close to 50 of them. I know this because I've got an LSD in every single car they've built.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
I can't comment on the build quality, but the cars are well under 2.10 at the Glen.
That's not saying much. I think Bob ran 205s (definitely 206s) in his 964 cup.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by bauerjab
That's not saying much. I think Bob ran 205s (definitely 206s) in his 964 cup.
205.22(Record) Boyer and Savenor also got into the 205's in a 964cup
she will be missed
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Spencer at Speedsport in Danbury CT services something like 15 of the ICs. You may want to give him a ring...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
Thats not verrry fast.. I drove an F class 2003 Boxster to 2:09 in a PCA race

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
I was looking for the results from NJMP last weekend to see the lap times of the Interseries cars vs. our Cayman Grand Am GS car. Fred C qualified it at 1:31.0. I suspect the Interseries cars are 3-4 sec slower. I was at Mid Ohio race and there were a number of interseries cars. The fastest qualifier ran 1:40.7 and an 06 GT 3 Cup ran a 1:32.9. Why buy a slow car!
I ran my Interseries for the first time at Mid Ohio in the NNJPCA DE and with decent Hoosiers ran a 1:38.6 on the Club course. I only had two clean laps. My guess is you were looking at a limited number of slower drivers. With slicks and some more track time I think a 1:36 is reasonable.

I think that anyone who is really serious about cars will never take the position of "these cars suck, and my cars are always better". Every car has it's positives and negatives, and I'll try to bring that perspective here.

If the "pro" driver said the car was 'diabolical' and they were scared, then they either don't know how to drive, or have no clue how to set up a car. I personally know three pro (they get paid to drive) drivers that have driven the Interseries, and they all say the same thing. The car is a blast to drive, very smooth and very forgiving. Possibly the "pro" that was scared was driving a car that wasn't set up properly. If it was, then The guy doesn't know how to drive.

No doubt a Cup Car will be faster. And the answer to "why buy a slow car" is obvious: racing costs money, how fast do you want to go?

I seriously researched Buying a Cup Car. There were two things that swung it for me. First, fundamentally I think the Cayman chassis is better. Second was the main consideration. If you really look at the running costs, the Interseries is less than half the Cup Car.

I do agree that Napleton can be a pain in the ***, but if you want to race NASA or ITC you can deal with whoever you want. The advantage of getting a Napleton car is you're buying thousands of hours of track experience, vs a 'one off shop' that has experience with one car. You can look at what problems they've had and overall they have pretty much sorted things out. Check out their reliability over the last two years - it's damn good. They certainly don't have anything close to the experience of Porsche with their Cup Cars, but they are pretty damn good. Talk to Doug Livingston who is now running the ITC if you want to know the latest information.

It's not a Cup Car, but for someone who want to race one of best chassis Porsche has ever made, at a reasonable cost, this is the car.

Last edited by umwolverine; 07-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends of what you want to do. I love driving/racing both Cars (have H or I PCA Cayman and a 997.2 Cup).
The Cayman is the better chassis, but its not a factory racecar. However, its a bit cheaper on consumables since it uses regular R Comps (Interseries can use slicks) and replacing engine and gearbox is $9k and $4.5K respectively (probably cheaper to let them blow thant to do preventive service every year?).

IMO, if you want to run a fast "Spec" class in CLub Racing, there's nothing better than a Cup Car, as all cars are (should be? ) the same, and safer / better build than almost anything else.

Caymans are a lot of fun to drive and the handling is sublime, but IMO its only enjoyable if you can compete in a well attended class (H or I Stock are a lot more attended than GTB-1) and the handling is just as good/better if build/setup by a knowledgeable shop like Spencer ***'s (He helped dialing out the Cayman IS spec to where it is today).
However, if you still want to run GTB1 in PCA why bother with a proprietary design/spec InterSeries or IC car? Just build your own starting with H or I car, pull all the weight out and more, install the wing - similar to what Ernie J. did with his now WC Cayman - and you have a car that is a LOT faster than an IC or Interseries Car.

Setting up my H/I Cayman for GTB1 is what Im considering as the next step if I decide to keep the car after this season.

Quick Reply: WTB cayman interseries