Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

2011 German Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Webber continues to stink in one of the best cars on the grid.
His starts stink that is for sure. He blew another one today. Ferrari on the other hand have done something to their car on the starts as not only does Alonso get off to good starts from the grid, but Massa is right there along side him. Webber's poor start messed up Vettel and the young German found himself in the middle of a Ferrari sandwich on the first corner. Alonso had the inside line, so he took the position and Massa was left with the short end of the stick being on the outside. But good patience from all the drivers as a lot of carbon fiber could have been left on the track on that first turn. You can't win the race on the first turn, but you sure can lose it.

Hammy drove the wheels off his car to get the win.
He deserved the win today. Not only did he hold off Webber coming out of the pits on his 2nd stop, but then he caught Alonso napping on the same corner next lap after Alonso's stop. From that point on Lewis was unstoppable.

Vettel being so far off the pace is strange in a season where he has dominated. Is RedBull doing some engine countdown to the end of the season now or something? Or was Vettel's car set up for rain?
He is so far ahead in the standings he could afford to take the gamble on a wet setup. Hamilton was the only one who made a significant dent in his WDC points deficit to Vettel gaining 13 points today. Alonso only picked up 6 points and Webber 3. Of course you can thank Ferrari for handing Vettel 2 freebee points on the last lap.

Fun race to watch. I'm glad it is the last race on Fox this season.
I watch the races live (meaning I am sleep deprived) on TSN (our version of ESPN) and they show us the race via the BBC feed. But I may need to investigate this BBC proxy I hear of. I am getting sick of the TV commercial breaks on TSN. They always seem to break away when something critical on the track is happening.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

F1 has been better this year than most years.

Originally I did not think too much of the tire rule. But it has worked nicely.

Hamilton drove a good race today. His team put in an excellent show too. It is exactly what they needed. Him (LH) to just go race and get off the talking points.

Now go do it again.

And congrats to Wayne.

But .........

Red Bull and Vettel are still a long way up the board.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Webber continues to stink in one of the best cars on the grid. Hammy drove the wheels off his car to get the win. Vettel being so far off the pace is strange in a season where he has dominated. Is RedBull doing some engine countdown to the end of the season now or something? Or was Vettel's car set up for rain?

Fun race to watch. I'm glad it is the last race on Fox this season.
Me to They (FOX) didn't even bother to show the post race interviews
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't usually complain about the feed but today was miserable. There were so many unimportant midfield shots that we were watching rather than where Webber was coming out of the pits in relation to the front runners or how Alonso was getting close to Lewis. That was some of the worst I've seen (noticed).

Congrads to Lewis, that was a great drive. He does have a massive amount of talent and when his team isn't making mistakes and he's patient, he's brilliant. Honestly, that's what I believe made him so good in 2007. There were no expectations so he was able to apply his normal aggressiveness but without any added pressure that causes him to become too aggressive and make mistakes. On top of that, he had a great car under him, and it was only until winning the title became a realistic expectation that he began to choke. Nonetheless, well deserved victory..
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Great race. Kudos to Hamilton for a strong drive - he stuck the Turn 2 pass that Webber couldn't.

Hearing that Red Bull gambled with a rain set-up for Vettel. Could explain lack of pace if true.

Interesting that Vettel and Schumacher made the same mistake in the same spot with the same outcome.

Last edited by Nizer; 07-25-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Re-broadcast on SPEED on Tues @ noon hopefully with interviews.
I picked Hamilton but I'd like to hear what FA and Webber had to say about the race.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

FA said thx and Webber said no worries mate for a Mansell/Senna gesture
Attached Images  

Last edited by the flyin' scotsman; 07-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
FA said thx and Webber said no worries mate for a Mansell/Senna gesture
Wow!!! Look at Webber's tires, talk about degradation
Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are actually chunks they pick up to add weight to the car. They are called "marbles".
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the race from start to finish on Fox and the commentators suck. In at least two instances, while there were lead changes going on, they weren't paying attention and talking about something meaningless. Talk about not having a race eye. Either that or camera would be on back marker while something significant was taking place up front and of course commentators caught it after it already happened. It was like amateur hour out there. Typical Fox.

----------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Plyman438
Either that or camera would be on back marker while something significant was taking place up front and of course commentators caught it after it already happened. It was like amateur hour out there. Typical Fox.
I am definitely NOT defending FOX (I prefer watching the races through the BBC), but this is not FOX's fault. FOX is responsible for the audio feed you get with their races, but there is one world feed that everyone sees when it comes to the video. The same thing happened in the BBC feed (having the cameras focused on the mid field while something else was going on up front). If you want to blame anyone for what you saw on screen, you need to blame the world feed. No excuses for them of course, what the #### were they thinking.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I forget- were Webber's starts that bad with TC because without it he is consistently sub-par. And that's being polite.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
I am definitely NOT defending FOX (I prefer watching the races through the BBC), but this is not FOX's fault. FOX is responsible for the audio feed you get with their races, but there is one world feed that everyone sees when it comes to the video. The same thing happened in the BBC feed (having the cameras focused on the mid field while something else was going on up front). If you want to blame anyone for what you saw on screen, you need to blame the world feed. No excuses for them of course, what the #### were they thinking.
How do you watch F1 through the BBC I've seen it referred to in different threads, but I would like to know how. Mattchet, Hobbs and the other guy are pretty good, and Buxton in the Paddocks does a good job. They are the same team on SPEED
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by morganabowen
How do you watch F1 through the BBC
Not counting the proxy (which I have yet to try), I get the race in one of two ways from the BBC.

1) Up here in Canada, TSN shows the races live and they use the BBC feed. But you need to put up with TSN's TV commercials and don't expect a pre-race show as they only cut to the races seconds before the drivers head out on the opening parade lap and the moment the race ends they cut away again since everyone would much rather watch hours and hours of baseball highlights (NOT) than watch a post race show.

2) Or if you don't mind waiting 12 or so hours, you can download the races from here.

I might try this proxy I keep hearing of as TSN's TV commercial breaks are driving me nuts.

Last edited by My993C2; 07-26-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

what drives me nuts is that they split the screen during the TSN commercials and my middle age eyes have a hard time seeing the race on a small part of the screen.....that why I got the 50" plasma

Still the BBC/TSN feed is much better than Fox.

A few years ago the when we could get F1 on Speed the commercials were different for the US and CDN markets so you could switch back and forth and skip most of the ads.

The last 2 races have been great, I was in Scotland watching the Brit GP and the pre and post tv shows are just fantastic.

I hope theres a 3 way fight for WDC but SV would have to repeat Germany many times over.

Never known Webber to be a great starter but he can usually drive the wheels off it

Quick Reply: 2011 German Grand Prix