Sponsored by:

Twins Turbo Motorsports Supra Vid.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KluberNeocon
As for 'matching revs' on the downshifts - waste of time........................The speed in which you can get from Braking Zone (begin applying brakes) to Turn In (back on gas) is far quicker doing it the way this Supra driver does it - vs. the match-rev method. Not even close..............................It takes plenty of practice to do it right (just like heel-toe takes to learn) but the benefits are huge in terms of lap times.
Do YOU do it 67King ?

My point is that it's damn near impossible to do well in a 944 because of pedal design coupled with a lousy throttle/butterfly ratio. Even w/ an aftermarket throttle cam - damn near impossible.

I'm CERTAIN there are a couple guys who can do it properly - meaning it adds to their performance. That probably covers them in their entirety. A couple.

I'm not at all certain that those couple guys are amongst the 44/51 drivers here that so freely dismiss another tried and true method of getting the job done.
When in fact they don't employ EITHER technique with any regularity - or results.
Yes, I do it, but please get your story straight. You sit there and routinely contradict yourself.

Heel-toeing will enable the LSD to help you under braking. Whatever you call your method that you claimed to have perfected won't. Heel-toeing has your engine speed matching your wheel speed well before throttle application. Your method doesn't. Heel-toeing doesn't subject your car to unplanned weight transfer if you are off a little, your method does (see 3:13 with the Supra - oops!). The notion that your car would not be in gear with the clutch engaged (i.e. pedal out) at any point after turn in is just mind boggling. You are completely taking away one of the tools you have to control your car.

I can see that your method is easier for a person who isn't used to driving a manual, but otherwise, I don't get it. Like I said, having all of that power is often detremental to driver development. This sounds to me just like one of those situations.

Oh, and FWIW, I fidn the pedals in the 944's to be quite good for heel-toeing. Much better than any other car I've owned. Brake pedal is adjustable, gas pedal is floor mounted and angled towards the brake pedal. Sure I wouldn't mind it if the brake pedal were a tad bigger, but that is easy enough to fix.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

333pg333 - [Just to understand what you're saying. Do you mean that instead of rowing down through the gears while heel / toeing you merely push the clutch in with the left foot, move the shifter into 2nd while braking with the right foot until you feel it's the right time to lift the left foot and let the engine rev out to it's natural rpm and continue to accelerate? ]

This driver is not me - I don't know him but could help him perfect what he's doing. He's doing GREAT in my opinion. How much seat time does he have in this car?

Here's the painful reality: The majority of guys you ALL run against out there are NOT heel-toeing during the heat of battle.

Yet nearly 100% will criticize a guy like this Supra driver for not doing it.

Anyway... back to the youtube vid of the 944 heel-toe technique. Standing by.
I'm sorry but if this guy is not you but you hold him up in high esteem I'm just not seeing it. I think he appears to be a bit slow coming into some corners. Sure I have no idea what the traction level and balance is like in that car, but there are times when I think he's rolling a bit too much. From what you're saying, he's staying in a high gear, braking hard, and then doing his downshifting when at a suitable speed. I'd like to see some back to back data to corroborate your theory. I'm not trying to pick holes in your viewpoint for the sake of it, just not seeing the advantage to the naked eye.

Oh, and I posted a video and I could be mistaken for actually doing what you say at the end of the short main straight, but in fact it was because I was on the 3rd lap on some brand new slicks that I'd never used before and was just over braking, but in general terms I've never had issues with heel/toeing on the 951. A larger throttle pedal can help some.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had a problem heel and toeing in my 968 with the stock pedal setup, or in any of the 944's that I've driven and raced. I heel toe on 100% of my downshifts, but usually skip directly to the required gear without rowing through the gears in between. The OP can view my videos posted in the "Mid Ohio help" thread if he needs proof.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
KluberNeocon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67King [ The notion that your car would not be in gear with the clutch engaged (i.e. pedal out) at any point after turn in is just mind boggling. You are completely taking away one of the tools you have to control your car.]

WHAT!? Mind boggling indeed....

Possibly go back and read what I've written. I dont "coast" anywhere on a racetrack ! Good grief !
I don't turn in with the clutch pedal depressed !

I'm not going to re-write it. It's all right there for you. Give it another two minutes for a re-read.

I will say this: some of the more thoughtful analysis I've read from a very few here have been pretty much spot on. My method can upset the platform setting up for the turn-in - more so than heel-toe.

My method doesn't work as well in the wet (water coming down) but it probably better under slick conditions.

My method , in theory , is harder on clutches - but only in theory.

My method is DEFINITELY harder on brakes , since I'm able to use them much harder and with better threshold control than the heel-toe crowd.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is at least one RL member who knows how to wheel a hi-hp supra. I also think he knows something about heee/toe and hitting all the gears on the way down. I think the video speaks volumes. Skip to 1:12 for the in-car driving bits.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

95m3racer - there are many different configs for this track. Lot's.

As for 'matching revs' on the downshifts - waste of time. You can get deep into your breaking zone , pull ONE downshift and reingauge the clutch again - all FAR quicker than you can brake/heel toe , downshift , heel toe , downshift again and THEN reingauge the clutch.

The speed in which you can get from Braking Zone (begin applying brakes) to Turn In (back on gas) is far quicker doing it the way this Supra driver does it - vs. the match-rev method. Not even close.

Modern gearbox's don't care one way or the other. Gearboxes from the 'old days'... yeah they cared.

It takes plenty of practice to do it right (just like heel-toe takes to learn) but the benefits are huge in terms of lap times.
When I see an innocuous topic go to three pages I usually check in to see why. Inevitably, someone has stepped deeply into it.

PS: I agree with the OP that downshifting through every gear can be tedious and not necessarily beneficial. If you're good enough to do it, I do not see downside.

That's an entirely different issue than heel-toe, which clearly has benefits and is not difficult. You can go from 5-to-3 deferring your downshift until your speed, with a solid blip of the throttle, allows you to release the clutch in 3rd gear. Then your drivetrain is engaged for the entirety of the turn, allowing you to use the throttle to get you through the whole corner.

PPS: I did heel-toe on my 944 almost from the first lap I had it on track (stock pedals). I found the setup to be perfect. And if you cannot control threshold braking while heel-toeing, then you just need to do it more (or you really do not have a workable pedal setup).
Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Originally Posted by DM993tt
There is at least one RL member who knows how to wheel a hi-hp supra. I also think he knows something about heee/toe and hitting all the gears on the way down. I think the video speaks volumes. Skip to 1:12 for the in-car driving bits.
I have had that same RL member drive my Supra on track with me as a passenger and there was a lot of super fast and super smooth heel and toe down shifting.

Here is one of my favorite videos with that same technique

Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM
67King
Race Car

67King [ The notion that your car would not be in gear with the clutch engaged (i.e. pedal out) at any point after turn in is just mind boggling. You are completely taking away one of the tools you have to control your car.]

WHAT!? Mind boggling indeed....

Possibly go back and read what I've written. I dont "coast" anywhere on a racetrack ! Good grief !
I don't turn in with the clutch pedal depressed !

I'm not going to re-write it. It's all right there for you. Give it another two minutes for a re-read.

I will say this: some of the more thoughtful analysis I've read from a very few here have been pretty much spot on. My method can upset the platform setting up for the turn-in - more so than heel-toe.

My method doesn't work as well in the wet (water coming down) but it probably better under slick conditions.

My method , in theory , is harder on clutches - but only in theory.

My method is DEFINITELY harder on brakes , since I'm able to use them much harder and with better threshold control than the heel-toe crowd.
So are you saying, then, that you enter a second gear corner in fifth gear wit the engine lugging?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
KluberNeocon
AutoX

[So are you saying, then, that you enter a second gear corner in fifth gear wit the engine lugging?]

Uhhh...yyyeaaah that's what i'm saying. I mean that's what you read in my posts right? I run corners a "gear high" , I coast through corners with the clutch pedal depressed , lug the thing coming out...

What did you actually DO with those two minutes you used re-reading my posts I gratiously gave you?

Question 67King : are you telling me that you actually slide your car sideways coming into a braking zone to get slowed? That's my take-away from reading your posts. That and you apparently believe that tan interiors are faster than all other colors... again from reading your posts.
I mean... YOU wrote that stuff - can you back it up?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different situations require different techniques. But after a couple of 24 hour races on snow and ice I am pretty sure that all techniques are needed.

Sometimes sideways is fast, sometimes understeer is important to involve.

Looking at the video you posted not knowing that it is a high hp car the pedal treatment seems more like a wannabe drifter than someone trying to go fast around a track.

IMHO of course.

Btw, sorry for feeding the troll.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 AM
67King
Race Car

333pg333 - [Just to understand what you're saying. Do you mean that instead of rowing down through the gears while heel / toeing you merely push the clutch in with the left foot, move the shifter into 2nd while braking with the right foot until you feel it's the right time to lift the left foot and let the engine rev out to it's natural rpm and continue to accelerate? ]

Yes - almost. While some are rowing downwards thru the gears - everything you described - I don't have anything going on during that period except diving very deep and very fast towards my turn-in point. No clutch yet... just very heavy braking (that I began much later than those busy rowing).

As I slow and approach the trun-in I QUICKLY rip the downshift and almost simultaneously reingauge the clutch (left pedal out). There is NO period of coasting with the clutch depressed.
[So are you saying, then, that you enter a second gear corner in fifth gear wit the engine lugging?]

Uhhh...yyyeaaah that's what i'm saying. I mean that's what you read in my posts right? I run corners a "gear high" , I coast through corners with the clutch pedal depressed , lug the thing coming out...
Ah, I see what the problem is. You don't know what you are talking about. You leave it in high gear under braking, but do not depress the clutch. That is lugging the engine, though instead of the engine working at a low RPM to carry the weight of the vehicle, it is trying to overcome the force of the brakes. Only when you are ready to accelerate do you bother fiding the right engine.

Which is exactly what I said. ENTER (not exit, not at tip, not at apex) a corner in high gear with the engine lugging (against the force of the brakes).

You'd be better off dropping it into neutral or depressing the clutch. You'd find you could brake even deeper.

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to go back to the ricer boards where the ability to shoud loudest, call people names, and apparently go searching for other posts by other people with whom you have an issue (really, I mean what gives with that - have you tried to find where I live so you can bug my house, too? creepy) are more valuable than actually knowing what you are talking about. Maybe they like the video game racer types better, too, or something, as I suspect beyond golf carts, that comprises the bluk of your experience.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaB
I have had that same RL member drive my Supra on track with me as a passenger and there was a lot of super fast and super smooth heel and toe down shifting.

Here is one of my favorite videos with that same technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP3NtMovaAI
^^^ @51 sec

To the OP - that is how it's done right, if you are good enough to pull it off.

I sometimes skip gears on the way down, but then, I'm just a 944 driver
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 67King
Maybe they like the video game racer types better, too, or something, as I suspect beyond golf carts, that comprises the bluk of your experience.
Don't blame video games. Even in Forza Heel-and-toe shifting (with clutch) is faster.

And another example of a slow, waste of time, heel-and-toe technique.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

30 years of wheel to wheel , two national P car championships , a handfull of regional championships , a GT3 lap record that stood for nearly a decade until 2007.

Being schooled by 44 Spec driver ? Nope.
Tell us your name.

We're all amongst friends here.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Astroman
Tell us your name.

We're all amongst friends here.
It's the Stig.

Quick Reply: Twins Turbo Motorsports Supra Vid.