Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How to without a doubt perfectly balance a car on trailer

I have a 24' enclosed trailer. I am looking to mount 8 more tie down points in order to mount the tire cradle straps. It has 4 points already. I have used those 4 points to tow the 944 on multiple occasions, safely.

I am looking for the best way to center the car so that the location I put the tie downs will work the best. I would normally have about 1,000# stored towards the front of the v-nose. Last tow I was approximately 900# tongue weight (with weight dist hitch).

I will separate the new tie down loops far enough apart that some adjustment can be made, I am simply trying to find the best way possible to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

One more time:

https://rennlist.com/forums/8667922-post12.html

Scott
Old 06-30-2011, 12:55 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. Break down and buy a tongue weight scale as suggested. You'll be glad you did and it will earn you beers after hours helping others.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^+2
Buy the Sherline, read the Sherline towing guide, load the trailer, record tongue weight, mark the floor where the wheels are, connect the trailer to the tow vehicle and find some truck scales to record total weight.

As far as floor mounted tie downs, many people use D rings (I will skip the debate of straight and/or crossed straps ... that belongs with oil viscosity, H&N restraints and tow vehicles) and some folks even install E track along the length of the floor, which allows for almost infinite variability on car/engine location.
However, some folks complain that floor mounted E track needs to be vacuumed out occasionally, as it does collect dirt/grime in the track.

if you are installing a new floor, it's a good time to consider E track in the floor or not.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by winders
Apologies! Did not see your reply. Have been out of town away from my pc, using iphone app, out of my element if you will.

I'll go now...

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

That Sherline scale is very clever and looks quite accurate.

I have had good luck using a bathroom scale and a lever and a fulcrum. Example: 4 foot piece of 4"x4", with one end on some 2"x4" blocks and the other end on a scale, with the trailer jack 3" away from the scale, will yield a scale reading of 1/4 of the tongue weight at the jack. Figure out how far the jack is from the center of the axles vs. the distance from the hitchand you'll know your exact tongue weight. (They're usually pretty close, so the tongue weight will be a few % less than the measured weight at the jack.)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also use a public scale to figure out you're overall and tongue weight. Pull the trailer onto the scale with your truck tires just off the scales. With the trailer still connceted to the truck record that weight. Then disconnect the trailer making sure the trailer jack is on the scales and that will give you the trailer's overall weight. The difference between the two is your tongue weight. If they'll allow you enough time, you can move the car inside the trailer and record the different weights....
Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Van
That Sherline scale is very clever and looks quite accurate.

I have had good luck using a bathroom scale and a lever and a fulcrum. Example: 4 foot piece of 4"x4", with one end on some 2"x4" blocks and the other end on a scale, with the trailer jack 3" away from the scale, will yield a scale reading of 1/4 of the tongue weight at the jack. Figure out how far the jack is from the center of the axles vs. the distance from the hitchand you'll know your exact tongue weight. (They're usually pretty close, so the tongue weight will be a few % less than the measured weight at the jack.)
I used the bathroom scale method for the recent load. But I like the precision of the Sherline.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I used the bathroom scale method for the recent load. But I like the precision of the Sherline.
The Sherline works great and I got mine for a great price on ebay.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never used a scale, but have used feel on the truck to determine my car postion.

I have a 24 footer and here are some photo showing what I carry and where the car sits. I also carry up to 12 tires in the truck bed and 200lbs ballast weights for the shade tents I bring.

I have about 2 feet behind the car and it is pretty much centered on the axles. Balance seem good there as any farther back and even with the weight distributing hitch the trailer does not feel rock solid. Any father forward and I may be getting to much tongue load since I carry so much crap up front ( 9 crates, tool box and spare gearbox).

Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Sherline and it's great. You don't necessarily have to buy one, I've lost count of the times I've loaned mine out to guys at the track. I have a line drawn on the floor where the nose is supposed to be. That line and the car and inch or so on either side of the line ensures an appropriate tongue weight (you don't need precision ±10% is fine).
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the Sherline - (As a recipient of Tom's generosity <grin>). I was able to use the scale for the optimal placement of the car and then screwed stop blocks to the floor of the trailer. I also have e-track on the floor for adjustable tie down locations.
One of the other 944's in our group uses the tire bucket style tie downs and he uses e-track so as to get the right placement.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you can't find a Sherline to borrow, someone near you probably has a set of corner balancing scales you can borrow. You only need one under the tongue to check tongue weight and you can weigh the trailer and car separately for total weight.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I have had good luck using a bathroom scale and a lever and a fulcrum. Example: 4 foot piece of 4"x4" . . .
Physics does have a place in everyday life!

I dumbfounded a couple of young deliverymen a few weeks back with the use of a fulcrum (alum extension ladder) and a pivot point (2nd story deck flooring edge) by showing them how to easily lift the king size mattress they were delivering on to the deck outside our bedroom. Bypassing the inside house route up the antique winding walnut staircase. They commented that was one of the easiest 2nd story king mattress deliveries they had ever made. I guess wrestling a king up winding staircase is a common hurdle for them.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Physics does have a place in everyday life!

I dumbfounded a couple of young deliverymen a few weeks back with the use of a fulcrum (alum extension ladder) and a pivot point (2nd story deck flooring edge) by showing them how to easily lift the king size mattress they were delivering on to the deck outside our bedroom. Bypassing the inside house route up the antique winding walnut staircase. They commented that was one of the easiest 2nd story king mattress deliveries they had ever made. I guess wrestling a king up winding staircase is a common hurdle for them.
Did they tip you

Quick Reply: How to without a doubt perfectly balance a car on trailer