Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Trailer floor material?

Does anyone have an enclosed auto transport that they have done a customer floor to? I have the entire ramp and extension flap covered in diamond plate, but that would have been entirely too heavy for the entire inside. Looking for any input from people who have done some sort of flooring, or seen it done. Not looking for a coating, but more of something I can screw into place and is durable. Was considering carpeting, with diamond plating just for where the wheels will go.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Matt,

I just went through this exercise. The flooring options are either too heavy, too expensive, or not durable. That's why I painted my wood floor with a Rustoleum Epoxy garage floor paint. It was cheap, added almost no weight, and is quite durable. Plus, it looks fantastic.

Check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-covering.html

Scott
Old 06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Awesome, thanks! How did you tackle the minor issue of having the plywood flooring not exactly perfectly level at the joints. A few joints are a cm or so difference in height.

Thanks Scott.

Matt
Old 06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Matt,

You're welcome!

A cm? That's almost .4". That's terrible. My floor was quite level...the worst seam might have been between a 1/16" and a 1/32".

Regardless, the epoxy does not really have any problems with unevenness. You apply it with a roller and it sets up fast.

Scott
Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My enclosed trailer is fully finished...aluminum diamond plate floor and ramp. IMHO the marine plywood underneath is heavier than the diamond plate.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
IMHO the marine plywood underneath is heavier than the diamond plate.
Sure it is. But, so what? The diamond plate adds a lot of weight since you are not replacing the plywood.

Scott
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an ATC with Alum diamond plate and the trailer is pretty light and the diamond plate is for life. How much exactly would it add to the overall weight?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Sure it is. But, so what? The diamond plate adds a lot of weight since you are not replacing the plywood.

Scott
How much weight does it add to a trailer in relation to the car, tires, spares, parts, etc?

My enclosed 20' Cargopro V nose is fully dressed (diamond plate floor and ramp, carpet and aluminum walls, aluminum ceiling) and weighs not even 2500#.
Out of that 2500#, how much is the diamond plate contributing as a percentage of available tow capacity?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My 24' trailer empty as is weights 3,600#. Adding diamond plating to all 24' will add quite a bit. Exactly how much I do not know.

I was thinking of adding two tracks of diamond plating, one foot wide, for the tires, and carpeting the rest of it with garage style carpet. I think it would look great.

Matt
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I was thinking of adding two tracks of diamond plating, one foot wide, for the tires, and carpeting the rest of it with garage style carpet. I think it would look great.
Matt,

Until you spilled something on the carpet. That's why I went with garage floor epoxy paint. I am going to put down 4 ATP 16" x 16" squares to locate the car. I don't need them but I like the idea of any easy way to know where the car goes.

I like the idea of carpeting the walls up about 40".

Scott
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Carpet on the wall I have seen, and definitely plan on that. What is the best way to find the center of mass for the car? Having an easy way to locate the car would be awesome.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Carpet on the wall I have seen, and definitely plan on that. What is the best way to find the center of mass for the car? Having an easy way to locate the car would be awesome.
You locate the car by loading up your trailer the way you will have it loaded normally and weigh it. Then you use a tongue weight scale to get 10 to 15 percent of the loaded trailer weight on the hitch. Move the car around as needed.

This is a great guide:

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

Scott

Quick Reply: Trailer floor material?