Sponsored by:

Tbolt NJMP Driving the line...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
PhilElement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
I would suggest slightly later in T2 or more curbing so your steering releases a little more propelling forward towards the end of the gators.
I was a little shocked watching my video realizing I made turn 2 and 3 (chicane) one huge turn

T4 more curbing and stay track left as you head to T5. You want hard throttle just after the apex then hard brakes (straighten the car) before trailing to the inside of T5 (not the outside wide line). If you look at the curbing you will see the paint is worn out completely on the fast inside line. That's a bunch to handle with your current monster and some nice driving to stay on top of it.
Seems like T5 is a throw away for most and they just stay inside but you would think maximizing your entry into T5 would reward you as it's practically a long straight on the exit. This car has more push than my old setup which makes it a little tougher to turn in tight but it does allow me to push in harder. The problem is the turbocharger is so much bigger than I need for 75% of the races I compete in if I don't sweep my entries it's turbo lag central!

I really thought this track would reward HP but it really doesn't. It's extremely technical and you really have to manage power delivery. I ran my fastest lap in NASA TTU trim (510HP) in the one cool morning session we got when I was bedding in brake pads As the weekend progressed adding HP hardly changed my lap times but then again it could have just compensated for the 95+ degree temps.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil send your das file and I will overlay it apex speed in t4 should be at least 90mph (95would be really good) t5 does continue on to a short straight but look at length of t4 and you will see the pay off
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Phil try rolling more into t5 when you sit trackside during the pro races they use very little throttle till past the apex
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks Pete, just signed up (waitlist) for the Rolex support race.
Otherwise I will run with you guys at the T-bolt August PCA race.......
I hope u get in. This will be a fun event!!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I hope u get in. This will be a fun event!!!!
Rogues gallery of club racers.I can't wait to see it. Epic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 PM
PhilElement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil send your das file and I will overlay it apex speed in t4 should be at least 90mph (95would be really good) t5 does continue on to a short straight but look at length of t4 and you will see the pay off
I could definitely "feel" I was giving up time in T4 so that I could get over to the right for T5. I felt like opening up the entry there would allow me greater speed by T6. It would be interesting if I had telemetry to see how it effects the overall time from T4 to maybe T6. It might all wash out in the end with either line.

I"m not sure I have a das file. What is that exactly? I simply use GoPro (records in MP4 I believe) and no telemetry.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Phil drop me a direct line at bob@tracksidedata.com. I will get you a video and info on the trade off. You should pick up .5secs in that turn even tossing T5. Always fun to watch you drive that car at the NASA events.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 AM
FredC
Drifting

+1. Based on my limited experience (but supported with data) T4 has to be maximized, even if it means taking 5 from only 1 to 2 car widths from the left at entry.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

+1. Based on my limited experience (but supported with data) T4 has to be maximized, even if it means taking 5 from only 1 to 2 car widths from the left at entry.
You told me that the first time you were there. Try to treat it (4) almost like a straight at the expense of 5.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

+2 abso frikking lutely. Done right, 5 is no slower taking this tight approach, providing your entry attitude is not pointed away from the corner. And the advantages of maximizing 4 are manifest...
Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

T5 is slower by about 5mph apex speed (inside line) it is however shorter in distance and the time relation is almost the same then. The x-factor is your top speed before T6 is not affected much if any different. The trajectory taking the inside line gives your better release at exit so you catch up on speed. The grip of the surface has been conditioned for the inside line with lots of rubber. Lat G traces show this. I have a good "before and after" with a fast H car I worked with. He def picked up time there.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

We're saying the same thing. My data shows the segment of turn in to track out for 5 is statistically identical either way (even with slightly lower apex speed), and as you point out, there are distinct disadvantages of coming in wide, driving all that disttance, and missing the inside grip.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I am a big fan of data, and have been using it for about 5 years now. I believe a quick track walk, for those without data, will help explain what Bob and Dave are saying. Turn 4 looks very different from low and trackside, than it does from the stands. The large camber changes in turn 5 cannot be seen as well from the stands either. Spending 15 minutes on the track in that area on foot will help makes this easier to grasp.

If you stand at turn in for 4 you can actually see a small straight through the very large radius corner. Standing at the apex of 5 you can see the elevation changes to midtrack, and then it kinda stops and flattens.

This has been a wonderful thread, I hope to we can all contribute and expand it
Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
FredC
Drifting

Let's expand it then. Why are most people not driving a rimshot line to get to the entrance of the octopus? Doesn't it make it harder to turn in the car if you come into it at too flat an angle?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's expand it then. Why are most people not driving a rimshot line to get to the entrance of the octopus? Doesn't it make it harder to turn in the car if you come into it at too flat an angle?

Do you mean the hard right or the long carousel left 180?

Quick Reply: Tbolt NJMP Driving the line...........