Sponsored by:

Tbolt NJMP Driving the line...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
PhilElement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Fred you really have to defend the inside of T8 and by running a tighter line you end up with a better transition to grab inside curbing early. You can easily be too late in T8. I have followed cars running the outside line and while they get a little bit of distance going wide they have to really brake hard and turn sharp to get into the apex of T8. It is a tough corner and I will try anything to perfect it. The cost of losing in T8 is huge, if you get past there on the last lap your toast to the checker.
Totally agree even if you're not racing as there usually is racing on the same day there is a DE. The reason is that the racing line is to protect the inside so the outside is so full of marbles it's useless.

Originally Posted by Lolaman
The reason why people shouldn't drive the rimshot through T8 is because

a) you need to fully commit to throttle for as long as you can and

b) you have a static visual to aim to in order to get to the proper turn in point (depth wise) and

c) you're still turning when it comes time to brake for T9 if you take the rim shot.

No, it does not make it harder to turn in for T9 if the speed is properly controlled. Everyone needs to slow for T9 so go ahead and do that most efficiently, then trail in to begin the rotation. The entry angle is of little or no importance.

Shedding the requisite speed from T8 exit to T9 entrance (and in the shortest distance possible so you don't overshoot T9) is the primary desire.
Perfectly said! Sometimes as a driver you're not necessarily analyzing what you're doing on the track and why. This is why coaching and data analysis is so important for that extra edge. It feels like if you rim shot then you have to nurse the acceleration (on a high hp car) since you're turning the whole time and then as Bob explained you then have to brake while turning and tighten up your line to get the car turned for T9. If you tighten up after T7 then you can take a straighter shot to the inside of T9 so you're accelerating harder and the car is straighter as you brake hard. That has always felt better and smarter to me but I was never able to really tell if it was faster.

Thanks for all the help...everyone. I'm off to VIR for the Viper Cup, USGT, and Whelen TT to see if I can take the win at my favorite track.

Last edited by PhilElement; 07-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil good luck at VIR!!! keep that wing on the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Good luck, Phil! We're pulling for you!

Cooling my jets here at Mont Tremblant.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Phil, I am already here at VIR. I will look for you in the morning. You may do quite well, as it's raining....

Quick Reply: Tbolt NJMP Driving the line...........