Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking with "Throw the Anchor" and "Sunday Driver".......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking Tracking with "Throw the Anchor" and "Sunday Driver".......

in a Black run group.............

http://vimeo.com/25696030

On a much better note, a big thanks to Bob T. (especially) and Larry Herman for their help in deciphering my data/video and shaving 2 seconds off my time.

Bob's knowledge of T-bolt's quickest way around, supported by data and in car demonstration was for me the best and least expensive way to gain 2 seconds......

Trackside Data is the name of their operation, highly reccommended.......
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Following a cabriolet normally isn't fun...

Did you shave 2 secs off your the last time you were there or from your best pre-data/vid coaching session this particular time?

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
in a Black run group.............

http://vimeo.com/25696030

On a much better note, a big thanks to Bob T. (especially) and Larry Herman for their help in deciphering my data/video and shaving 2 seconds off my time.

Bob's knowledge of T-bolt's quickest way around, supported by data and in car demonstration was for me the best and least expensive way to gain 2 seconds......

Trackside Data is the name of their operation, highly reccommended.......
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fred, we let him set some fast times on his own before tampering with his line. I then drove his car for a short session with Paolo on board to find some more grip in a couple of corners. We then debriefed and Paolo went out and duplicated both the speed and line. I was impressed how he immediately picked up 7 mph apex speed in T1 and even more in T4!! I think switching seats next time will get you a little more time. BTW I think he driving very well
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Cool. Data and video are key. I agree that Paolo is driving well. Headed to NJMP next week for David Murry track days. T-bolt is a fun track!

Originally Posted by bobt993
Fred, we let him set some fast times on his own before tampering with his line. I then drove his car for a short session with Paolo on board to find some more grip in a couple of corners. We then debriefed and Paolo went out and duplicated both the speed and line. I was impressed how he immediately picked up 7 mph apex speed in T1 and even more in T4!! I think switching seats next time will get you a little more time. BTW I think he driving very well
Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Congrats, Paolo! LMAO...I have used that exact same hand gesture way too many times to mention.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 348 Posts

So you dive under him under braking into a corner without a point byand are surprised he doesn't point you by??? This is a DE right? Not time trials, or a race? Even in time trials I'd be a little pissed with you pushing me off the track like that. Everyone has equal rights to track time/space.

Those are aggressive moves for a DE, you don't own the line there and have to wait for a point by. Besides the fact that it's just polite to back off a little, give him the corner, then get the point by and pass.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ Yah I saw him as being a little aggressive, but I think this is a result of me focusing on those two corners for much higher entry speed. Paolo had picked up so much time in T1 (front straight) T4 (second car issue right sweeper) that he was working on getting faster and faster in those two corners alone. I did warn him that at a DE most drivers will not expect that high an entry speed and to be careful/polite. In a race it is a perfect passing opportunity.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
So you dive under him under braking into a corner without a point byand are surprised he doesn't point you by??? This is a DE right? Not time trials, or a race? Even in time trials I'd be a little pissed with you pushing me off the track like that. Everyone has equal rights to track time/space.

Those are aggressive moves for a DE, you don't own the line there and have to wait for a point by. Besides the fact that it's just polite to back off a little, give him the corner, then get the point by and pass.
Thanks for your input...... I guess ignoring me for being in his mirrors for the previous two laps wasn't polite on his part, so I guess we were both un-polite.......
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paolo, pull moves like that in Rennsport and you'd see black flags. DE is not racing. The guy in front would have seen waved blues and in time a black.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 348 Posts

Was that a montage of several laps that you edited together or real time? Cause you got past the cabbie after 1 corner in that posted video, not two laps.

You need to turn off the racers mentality and attitude when you're running in a DE group. What's normal and reasonable while racing is aggressive, rude and downright dangerous in a DE group. You have to share the track with the other participants in a DE. Yes, that means being held up if you're the fast guy, just like that means having to point everyone by when you're the slow guy.

If you're unwilling to cede the line to the car ahead (who owns the line until a point by is given) or lift when necessary, you need to go out on an open day, or rent the track for yourself.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for your input...... I guess ignoring me for being in his mirrors for the previous two laps wasn't polite on his part, so I guess we were both un-polite.......
Sorry Paulo, but he was impolite, or maybe unaware. You were not safe. I'll take the former over the latter any day.

DE rules set up expectations for everyone. Ignoring those rules puts cars in places that other drivers are not expecting, and causes issues.

Nice driving otherwise though.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Well....... I apologize for my driving.......

From now on I will just stick to racing and not scare any more black run group drivers.......
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Cool. Data and video are key. I agree that Paolo is driving well. Headed to NJMP next week for David Murry track days. T-bolt is a fun track!
In a GTC3 Cup?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Well....... I apologize for my driving.......

From now on I will just stick to racing and not scare any more black run group drivers.......
Yes, that sounded contrite.

Part of driving is being aware of your surroundings.

You were not in a race group but in a DE situation with no passes without a point-by. It seems you were not aware of this as you tried to dive bomb the Cayma and then the cabriolet and were upset when they did not get out of your way.

Their driving was not the problem, it was yours for being too aggressive and expecting them to pull over immediately and point you by since you were faster.
That is not how it works, they should point you by when they are comfortable, not at your convenience. Neither driver seemed to hold you up to any unreasonable degree.
Yes, there are drivers who ignore their mirrors and you may follow for several straights before getting a point-by, but it is still your responsibility to wait for the point-by.
There are other options if the driver is continually not pointing faster drivers by, but I did not see anything in that clip that was an issue with the drivers being passed, only you.

Greg
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sometimes this high and mighty stuff gets pretty old.

In the first turn pass I saw a driver in complete control trying to give the car he just passed some room. On the cab I saw, Paolo driving the line and while the Cab does some sort of stop and turn move. Maybe the camera angle makes it look bad but dangerous no. When someone starts talking about "being rude" I think of a golf course not a race track. Let the holy rollers howl

Quick Reply: Tracking with "Throw the Anchor" and "Sunday Driver".......