Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking with "Throw the Anchor" and "Sunday Driver".......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Greg, on the Cayman I tried to slow down as much as I could but I didn't have the luxury of abs and didn't want to lock them up......

The cabriolet driver I think was just in the wrong run group, he had no clue about the line and was running at green run group speed....... that in my opinion is what is dangerous.....

I take my responsibilities, but do you think some of these "experienced" drivers can get a clue?.....
Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,986 Posts

What was the Cab doing or attempting to do in the video? Did he freeze up?

My first impression is that the cab driver is in the wrong group. I don't stay right behind a car that is braking early either and I'll be one car width over... just in case.....
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 348 Posts

Were you expecting them to take a wide line through the corner and point you by in the braking zone? I've never seen that allowed in DE, TT sure, but not DE.

At least in the video you posted, you got fast point by's from both cars on corner exit.

Most DE guys don't have TT or race experience and when facing a situation like that will be intimidated. It's their responsibility to see you coming and give you a quick point by when they feel safe. It's your responsibility to give them a little slack, back off a bit and wait for the point by. If you're behind someone who just isn't giving you a point by, come in to the hot pits and get some space.

Even in the highest run groups there can be a disparate skill level between the slowest and fastest drivers. You're obviously on the fast end and have race experience on top of that. I wager that most of the other drivers in your group don't have the same experience as you.

Everyone needs to be aware that everyone is there to have fun, there is no DE trophy and a little consideration goes a long way.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Were you expecting them to take a wide line through the corner and point you by in the braking zone? I've never seen that allowed in DE, TT sure, but not DE.

At least in the video you posted, you got fast point by's from both cars on corner exit.

Most DE guys don't have TT or race experience and when facing a situation like that will be intimidated. It's their responsibility to see you coming and give you a quick point by when they feel safe. It's your responsibility to give them a little slack, back off a bit and wait for the point by. If you're behind someone who just isn't giving you a point by, come in to the hot pits and get some space.

Even in the highest run groups there can be a disparate skill level between the slowest and fastest drivers. You're obviously on the fast end and have race experience on top of that. I wager that most of the other drivers in your group don't have the same experience as you.

Everyone needs to be aware that everyone is there to have fun, there is no DE trophy and a little consideration goes a long way.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Paolo, didn't this same thing happen to you at NHMS 2 months ago resulting in a 10 page thread?
There are plenty of 'racers' that participate in DEs that I attend and they blend (excuse the pun) just fine. If you can't follow the DE safety rules then you should stick to open events where there's usually no required point by.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Paolo, didn't this same thing happen to you at NHMS 2 months ago resulting in a 10 page thread?
There are plenty of 'racers' that participate in DEs that I attend and they blend (excuse the pun) just fine. If you can't follow the DE safety rules then you should stick to open events where there's usually no required point by.
Yep, he's a real PITA....
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Dave the only unsafe car out there was the cab.......

I don't think ignoring the mirrors, being clueless about the line and basically stopping at turn in is safe...... probably should have been riding with an instructor in the passenger seat.....

Anyway...... read post #12.......
Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yep, he's a real PITA....
It's actually all your fault for bailing out on the event last minute............
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Paolo, when you consider that the cab is in "black", time to pray to get kicked out and go to Kashmir. Seriously, Coochas has it right... If you're not racing, go to open track days.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paolo,
I dig your passion for this thing but let me suggest you should get some lessons. Seriously. In my estimation you had no right to that corner, not in a DE for sure and maybe only if it were a Grand Am race.

If it were a PCA race, someone might have a desir eto give you an earful afterwards. You pulled even with them at basically the 1 marker if not later and he was already commited to the apex and you were simply in his blind spot. Granted yeah, the guy is inexperienced but ran a pretty good line, he just didnt have the vision that a few more years of comfort behidn the wheel will bring. Its a DE event, you should know guys will make that mistake.

Plus your line was severely compromised. had we been racing and had you bombed inside me like that, i would have checked up far earlier, got behind you and beaten you through turn 1 or atleast on the straight down to 2. you so compromised your own turn, you were a dead duck coming out of turn 1. you could have sat a car behind him and just ate him up out of 1.

I would imagine the guy would have most assuredly given you the corner had you seen him, yet i simply think he didnt see you , at all.

I happened to scour your vids and again, it seems like you make the same rookie mistakes in your own racing.

My point is...its a DE , DRIVER EDUCATION!!! why dive bomb someone at the 1 marker who has a street license plate on their car! why do it ever! in pca or otherwise.
check out your own vid from NJMP last year.

i feel bad for the guy in the grey/white boxster in front of you. you almost waste him twice.

Focus on your own stuff.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the original point of this train wreck of a thread was his coaching...

Having worked with Bob and Larry, I am quite sure they would not condone or encourage 'dive bombing' and the like at a DE, both being accomplished racers who understand the difference..

OP: A DE is a DE, deal with it or stop going. Pretty simple IMO.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Paolo, pull moves like that in Rennsport and you'd see black flags. DE is not racing. The guy in front would have seen waved blues and in time a black.
Spot on Bob.

As an observation, even the mid-level run groups together with flaggers can up their game in Rennsport. Not a complaint, just room for improvement.

I spent this afternoon cleaning rubber off the front of the car, much of it thanks to following slower traffic that was slow to give a pass. I am fascinated by this, since it's totally against the spirit of DE, as well as common sense - if there's a car suddenly behind you, it's because they're faster. Period.

I love giving a pass by signal. If I can catch back up and deserve one in return, so much the better. But some people never get it.

I think we need chip in for more self-waving blue flags for LCMT?

Best,

Matt
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If the cab is in the wrong run group, the better/faster driver has the responsibility to recognize that and adjust his behavior to stay safe. Don't put a lesser driver in a situation he can't handle just because you want to get by him.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Dave the only unsafe car out there was the cab.......

I don't think ignoring the mirrors, being clueless about the line and basically stopping at turn in is safe...... probably should have been riding with an instructor in the passenger seat.....

Anyway...... read post #12.......
your might be right...but its not up to you to decide...go to the track chairperson let them know.

You will be doing everyone a favor and you will also not come across as trying to be the big fish in a small pond..a label no one gives a sh$t about in DE.

Quick Reply: Tracking with "Throw the Anchor" and "Sunday Driver".......