Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's the extended version?

I guess thats how they ROLL in Cali!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for being clueless when it comes to open wheel cars, but what is the purpose of a "Tilt" table?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

what in gods name were they trying to do??????
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Grip test. Very scientific.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FSAE cars are designed and built entirely by college students. VERY cool stuff. They go to competitions around the country and compete against other schools. Tilt table is one of the 'stations' along with autocross, acceleration, etc.

Big one is in Detroit every year. Seriously smart kids doing some top level motorsports design and building. If you have a chance to see one in your local area I highly recommend it. They often look for local 'judges' to help out.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes Circuit Motorsports is correct it is very cool. There are some seriously high budget programs and really cool engineering facilities these kids get to be involved with. Fortunate for me though my **** *** school only does Formula Baja. effing lame.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Sorry for being clueless when it comes to open wheel cars, but what is the purpose of a "Tilt" table?
Originally Posted by dan212
It is not specifically an open wheel thing. A tilt table is used to determine the height of the center of gravity.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgot to add but IIRC the tilt test is about not leaking fluids too right?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
It is not specifically an open wheel thing. A tilt table is used to determine the height of the center of gravity.
I guess that they found it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tilt test at FSAE is supposed to go to 60 degrees, this time it kept going for some reason.

In FSAE, the tilt table is 98% to check for fluid leaks as part of tech inspection prior to starting the dynamic events (skidpad, acceleration, autocross, endurance). 98% of cars have a CG low enough that 60 degrees is not an issue for roll over.

IIRC (it's been a few years)... you start with a static tech inspection (make sure you followed the rules and built a safe car), then tilt (make sure your car won't dump fluids while driving), to noise (110db measured ~3 feet from the exhaust at a specific piston velocity, which works out to about ~10k rpm for your typical 600cc sport bike motor), to brake test (accelerate briefly and then jump on the brakes and show that you can lock up all 4 tires without the wheels falling off). Then you are ready for the fun stuff...the dynamic events.

While tech and the dynamic events are going on, the team also attends separate events where they are being judged on cost, presentation skills and the design event where you get to explain to the the judges why you built the car the way that you did.

The best experience of my life that didn't involve any women... hah.

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/ for more info on FSAE in general.

http://www.rfr.rutgers.edu for more info on the team I was a part of '04 - '06
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

Wow...that sucks! Glad those folks were standing nearby!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I saw the fsae event at AAA speeday a couple of saturdays ago. FSAE is very cool. kids don't know much about racing or auto-x in general but they are learning and motivated. They are afterall in their early 20's. Some weld up their knucles while others make awesome billet ones. Some chassis welding looks pro some looks like you don't want to drive it. All in all huge effort by the kids. Most seem to be engineering students but some are marketing guys, social science guys etc... These kids get only a couple grand from their schools most of which goes to the FSAE competition costs. They raise their own money and get free parts if they can from sponsors. If you get the chance help them out with a few sponsorship dollars. They are working really hard at a club they enjoy. Their enthusiasm is refreshing.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks like someone wasn't paying attention... amusing to see everyone trying to catch it! Yeah, good luck with that...

I'm sure the team was VERY pissed...

Ah, FSAE... memories of wasted hours and lost sleep that just won't go away. The really worst of us are doomed to keep building these things forever! LOL
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I saw the fsae event at AAA speeday a couple of saturdays ago. FSAE is very cool. kids don't know much about racing or auto-x in general but they are learning and motivated. They are afterall in their early 20's. Some weld up their knucles while others make awesome billet ones. Some chassis welding looks pro some looks like you don't want to drive it. All in all huge effort by the kids. Most seem to be engineering students but some are marketing guys, social science guys etc... These kids get only a couple grand from their schools most of which goes to the FSAE competition costs. They raise their own money and get free parts if they can from sponsors. If you get the chance help them out with a few sponsorship dollars. They are working really hard at a club they enjoy. Their enthusiasm is refreshing.
Was this fsae west competition? Your comments don't sound accurate, or the west comp has gone down hill drastically There is SERIOUS money in FSAE, some teams I know have "spent" $250k, as they have had major partnerships from car manufacturers, private engineering firms, alumni, etc. The cars are getting very quick, and most are actually very familiar with Autox and racing. The good teams even have driving programs setup - but the smart teams just bring in ringers I remember one year a team from Australia (i think it was aus) brought in a kid from their school who just happened to be a national kart champ

There are a ton of competitions world wide, and they get a lot of exposure, and money put into them by major manufacturers (Gm, vw/audi, etc).

Its really the number one place for an engineering student to be if their school has a program. Tons of exposure, and a lot of "real world" experience that you just can't get in any classroom or lab.

Quick Reply: FSAE car takes a tumble off the tilt table