Sponsored by:

Race Keeper

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Race Keeper

Anyone using this? How doe it compare to Traqmate, Smarty Cam etc?

Thanks

Rick
Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the traqmate, but when I was at the track last year they installed a demo system in my car. it had 3 cameras hooked up and you could run data display to your I phone and have that displayed in the car or wireless to the pits. I thought for racing that was a fantastic option. I did not study that data but I am told its pretty much like what you are used to with the Traqmate. If I had not already made the commitment to Traqmate I would consider going this way. they have a plug that goes into the obd plug to capture your motor data.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

IMO it has become a pretty good system for easy to use data logging & analysis with synced video.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a nice system. A few superficial things about it that I personally don't like but lots of users I know like it a lot. As for a system I'd look at before it is the Video VBox.

Peter Krause (lolaman here on rennlist) uses them and has installed a LOT in the past few months. Really slick setup.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I have a Racelogic Performance Box now. I had wanted to move up to something like a Traqmate. Is the Racelogic product line, including the Video VBox well known in the US now? It certainly was in the UK.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

I think the Race-Keeper is a terrific system. So is the Racelogic Video VBOX. For integrated data/video, they both beat the Traqmate/ChaseCam or Traqmate/Sony combo.

They all do certain things very well, but not the same things.

The Comparo software of the Race-Keeper is more configurable than the others. Especially colored maps and doing side by side comparisons in both video and colored (by parameter values) track maps between laps. The iDash is cool, but I need to play with it more.

The Video VBOX is the easiest and most reliable auto-starting and recording solution and embeds the data on the video automatically, through an infinitely configurable editor. From just video to custom gauges and sponsor logos in the background, the VBOX is the most aesthetically pleasing AND best quality SD video (all I think anyone needs). For someone not interested in digging deep into x-y graphs and scatter plots, this is the daddy for simplicity. The data file will give you all of that but you don't need to open it. Same with Race-Keeper.

The Traqmate is still the simplest data solution and the only combo with video that will stitch together a video "best theoretical lap."

YMMV. I sell 'em all.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys...
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
SNIP....
The Traqmate is still the simplest data solution and the only combo with video that will stitch together a video "best theoretical lap."

YMMV. I sell 'em all.

I took some coaching lesson from Chris Hall and he used Race Keeper in my car. The Race Keeper Chris used did do "best theorectical lap".

I really really want to get a system for my DE's but I use a MacBook Pro laptop and am still confused if any of these system work with a Mac.

I want something idiot proof and just plain works....plug and play and easy download to my laptop and simple to use to show me my laps and squiggly lines.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I want something idiot proof and just plain works....plug and play and easy download to my laptop and simple to use to show me my laps and squiggly lines.
RK is that, QR was nice enough to give me some coaching at WGI and may have had his interest piqued by my RK setup.

You can view the data and video immediately w/ no post processing, if I can use it anyone can.

I think some of the others probably give more detailed data but for a hacker RK works well.

I basically want the GPS data, rpm and brake pressure data, w/ video first 3 are done still need to do the last.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
RK is that, QR was nice enough to give me some coaching at WGI and may have had his interest piqued by my RK setup.

You can view the data and video immediately w/ no post processing, if I can use it anyone can.

I think some of the others probably give more detailed data but for a hacker RK works well.

I basically want the GPS data, rpm and brake pressure data, w/ video first 3 are done still need to do the last.
Yeah, your a hacker alright.. you hacked together that beautiful 993 pretty good Bill!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yeah, your a hacker alright.. you hacked together that beautiful 993 pretty good Bill!
If I could only learn how to drive it
Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

I took some coaching lesson from Chris Hall and he used Race Keeper in my car. The Race Keeper Chris used did do "best theorectical lap".
Yes, the Race-Keeper, the Race Technology DL-1, the IQ3 and the Video VBOX all will slice and dice the track and show you squiggly lines denoting your "best theoretical lap." The VBOX will show you side by side best actual versus theoretical best lap video segments, but unless the latest version of Comparo has this feature, none of them will show you a WHOLE LAP VIDEO theoretical best. That's very valuable in my opinion.

really really want to get a system for my DE's but I use a MacBook Pro laptop and am still confused if any of these system work with a Mac.
I have used Mac hardware for all my DAQ work (10,000+ individual files, 4 TB of SD video) since 2006. I use Boot Camp (included on Mac OS X Snow Leopard) to install a windows 7 partition on my Mac HDD and boot into the windows partition anytime I have to use the interpretation software for any of these systems.

want something idiot proof and just plain works....plug and play and easy download to my laptop and simple to use to show me my laps and squiggly lines.
Yep. Well, Race-Keeper, Video VBOX are your best bets. You still have to turn the Race-Keeper on. I hook the VBOX up to switched power and never miss a session. The Traqmate has that auto-on, auto logging capability, too, but I've never used it.

Believe it or not, THAT is the single biggest problem I see. People forget to turn their systems on...
Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

If I could only learn how to drive it
lol
Old 06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Yes, the Race-Keeper, the Race Technology DL-1, the IQ3 and the Video VBOX all will slice and dice the track and show you squiggly lines denoting your "best theoretical lap." The VBOX will show you side by side best actual versus theoretical best lap video segments, but unless the latest version of Comparo has this feature, none of them will show you a WHOLE LAP VIDEO theoretical best. That's very valuable in my opinion.

I have used Mac hardware for all my DAQ work (10,000+ individual files, 4 TB of SD video) since 2006. I use Boot Camp (included on Mac OS X Snow Leopard) to install a windows 7 partition on my Mac HDD and boot into the windows partition anytime I have to use the interpretation software for any of these systems.

Yep. Well, Race-Keeper, Video VBOX are your best bets. You still have to turn the Race-Keeper on. I hook the VBOX up to switched power and never miss a session. The Traqmate has that auto-on, auto logging capability, too, but I've never used it.

Believe it or not, THAT is the single biggest problem I see. People forget to turn their systems on...
w/ RK if it's hooked up to switched power you loose any programming, I found this out the hard way, I have mine programmed to start recording after x secs @ y mph, then stop when speed goes to 0, I had to replace the battery and on the next use it reverted to recording when the button was manually pushed and stopped recording w/ another manual button push.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

w/ RK if it's hooked up to switched power you loose any programming, I found this out the hard way, I have mine programmed to start recording after x secs @ y mph, then stop when speed goes to 0, I had to replace the battery and on the next use it reverted to recording when the button was manually pushed and stopped recording w/ another manual button push.
That hasn't been my experience, however I have the latest flash downloaded. Mine is wired with switched power and is set to remain off unless I press the power button (prevents unwanted recording when driving around town). When I turn the RK on, it will record when the speed is above 5mph and shuts off when I go below 3mph for 20 seconds. Perfect for my needs.

Quick Reply: Race Keeper