Sponsored by:

Porsche Recalls Center Wheel Hubs and Locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:04 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Porsche Recalls Center Wheel Hubs and Locks

Porsche is recalling about 1,700 of its most powerful 911s from 2010-11 because wheel hubs may wear prematurely, resulting in a compromised wheel-retention system that could lead to a crash, the automaker told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In a filing posted on the agency’s Web site Thursday, Porsche said the 911 Turbo and Turbo S, the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS, and the GT2 RS equipped with the center locking wheel and hub assembly were affected.

Though it did not identify a clear cause of the problem, Porsche’s statement suggested that wheel hubs might wear prematurely if the affected models are driven on racetracks.

“Porsche is aware that some customers of the affected vehicles occasionally operate them on a racetrack or under similar conditions,” the statement said. “From Porsche’s own racing experience with vehicles using the same central wheel lock components, Porsche has developed new components as well as additional instructions for the use of such components when the affected vehicles are operated under racing conditions.”

Dan Engelman, a spokesman for Porsche Cars North America, said he was unaware of any accidents relating to the condition. “No wheels came off at the track or otherwise,” he wrote by e-mail. “Wear was found at the mounting hub when changing the wheels/tires from track to street.”

Porsche said dealers would replace the central locking hubs and wheels on the affected 911s.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I love 997 GT3's and GT3 RS's. They are IMO the most communicative, rewarding to drive street-legal cars out there. But for the life of me, I still cannot understand why Porsche equipped them with center lock hubs. It seems nothing more than an affectation to make the car seem like a "real race car".
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I love 997 GT3's and GT3 RS's. They are IMO the most communicative, rewarding to drive street-legal cars out there. But for the life of me, I still cannot understand why Porsche equipped them with center lock hubs. It seems nothing more than an affectation to make the car seem like a "real race car".
The reason seems very simple. it is another way to for PAG to separate their customers from their $$. Also, it means that any time you get a flat chances are the car will go back to the dealer to remove the wheels add more $$ to Porsches pockets.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still cannot understand why Porsche equipped them with center lock hubs. It seems nothing more than an affectation to make the car seem like a "real race car".
It's lighter for one, and then yes, it does make it more like the "race car Porsche" which for some that is a big deal. It also helped separate the earlier models from the later models.

Many talked about how cool it would be when they were first introduced, I always figured there would be installation errors from the DIY'ers not familiar with the set up and how to service a CL.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,250 Likes on 1,918 Posts

Stupid idea from Porsche. I never understood the practicality of a CL for a street car. IIRC people with the 997 were buying $1800 torque wrenches that were 4' long when they first came out.

Get a flat? I don't think AAA or Discount tires are the guys to work on these. Spare set of wheels for the track. $$$$ ding ding ding.

I'll stick with the 5 lug pattern, thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
It's lighter for one, and then yes, it does make it more like the "race car Porsche" which for some that is a big deal. It also helped separate the earlier models from the later models.

Many talked about how cool it would be when they were first introduced, I always figured there would be installation errors from the DIY'ers not familiar with the set up and how to service a CL.
Regarding your point about it being lighter: you're right. But IMO on a 3,000+ pound street car, 20 pounds here or there is inconsequential IMO.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

It will be interesting to see what they change in the wheels and CL's. From how I read the initial press release it sounds like they will be replacing the wheels and the CL nuts.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Regarding your point about it being lighter: you're right. But IMO on a 3,000+ pound street car, 20 pounds here or there is inconsequential IMO.
Rotational weight is worth more than it's weight. But you know that.
I agree it's not huge on the car, but remember that it's not one thing that makes the car faster, it's the 10 little things.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see what they change in the wheels and CL's. From how I read the initial press release it sounds like they will be replacing the wheels and the CL nuts.
Replacing only if they're cracked/worn, otherwise sounds like they're just greasing and tightening to a higher spec
Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Rotational weight is worth more than it's weight. But you know that.
I agree it's not huge on the car, but remember that it's not one thing that makes the car faster, it's the 10 little things.
Meh. CL wheels ain't making the 7GT3 faster. More motor, better aero, and better suspension are.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

CL's are not lighter than 5l, and probably worth the "stupidest thing to hit a road car" award since a company fitted a fake second exhaust.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

I understood they were slightly heavier. Not that I can afford a new GT2 or 3 but I'd like one without 'em please. The torque wrench you'd have to have has got to be a lot heavier and probably costs $1,000 to boot.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$25 torque wrench, $250-$300 torque multiplier.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Meh. CL wheels ain't making the 7GT3 faster. More motor, better aero, and better suspension are.
Yeah, you're probably right, what do I know about cars and what it takes to make them fast.

BTW, wait till you drive MG's new car, it is coming along VERY nicely !
And I won't be changing motor, aero, or suspension, but I bet it's faster.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
CL's are not lighter than 5l, and probably worth the "stupidest thing to hit a road car" award since a company fitted a fake second exhaust.

CL wheel, that is probably correct, wheel assembly,hardware,fastners = CL lighter.

Agree 100% that it's stupid for a street car, but they did sell every car they built with them on so what does that say .......

Quick Reply: Porsche Recalls Center Wheel Hubs and Locks