Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

2011 European Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

During the 2nd practice session, there seemed to be lots of talk about Jensen going to Ferrari I like that idea, but not sure if he and FA would get along. I think a better fit for FA is Webber, who is very close friends with FA. The second practice session this morning was interesting, considering Ferrari had the best time Having the race on Fox is unfortunate
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Webber to Ferrari????

Mark Webber is adamant he will not be called upon by Red Bull Racing to help team-mate Sebastian Vettel claim a second World title.

Vettel has been by far not only the best Red Bull driver but also the top driver from the entire field so far this season.

The reigning World Champ has claimed six pole positions, five race wins and two runner-up results on his way to a commanding 60 point lead in the Drivers' Championship.

Webber, meanwhile, has clinched just one pole position and three podium finishes and already trails Vettel by 67 points.

This has sparked some suggestions that Red Bull could implement team orders later in the season should any of Vettel's rivals pose a threat.

Webber, though, insists they won't.

"Rubbish, that will not happen," AAP reports the Aussie as having said.

As for his future, Webber has yet to decide whether to remain at Red Bull next season, chance his luck with another team or retire from F1 altogether.

"I will decide in the coming months," he said.

"Ferrari radiates something special, but the most sense would be to stay at Red Bull."
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Team orders are not illegal anymore so it's nice to see it opening talked about. That said, I don't think Vettel needs Webber's help to win the title. It's his to lose barring multiple DNFs.

I can't see Webber retiring. His chance for a WDC is gone, but if he still enjoys himself, he should go on, but he will never be the #1 at a top team. Can't imagine collecting a few million a year is a bad way to make a living.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Team orders are not illegal anymore so it's nice to see it opening talked about. That said, I don't think Vettel needs Webber's help to win the title. It's his to lose barring multiple DNFs.

I can't see Webber retiring. His chance for a WDC is gone, but if he still enjoys himself, he should go on, but he will never be the #1 at a top team. Can't imagine collecting a few million a year is a bad way to make a living.
I think that if Webber wanted to go to one of the lesser teams (ie Lotus / Virgin / Sauber / HRT) etc. etc., he could be top dog, and still collect a nice paycheck. I still think that he would be good for Ferrari and , after all, he is 3rd in the WDC points behind Vettle and Button
Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Red Bull aren't as strong with the new rules. They are still faster in the 3rd sector but if McLaren can dial in the rear grip (which they hadn't today) they'll be on top. I think Hamilton will take the win here.

Also interesting is that the long DRS zone is in an area that has a corner, similar to No Name Straight at Lime Rock. You just about touch the curb on both sides of the track. I'm not sure how that will work with overtaking if the car being passed takes the racing line. There will be no room for the passing car to squeeze by...

Montreal's qualification session was by far the most anti-climatic of the season, let's hope this one is better!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is the rules change was implemented to create the exact effect ilko is referring to. Problem I have is that it stinks like the yellow flags in Grand Am and Continental Challenge. They don`t want the WDC decided before round 16 at the earliest. Fake passing ala DRS, now fake speed control. The engineers who built the RB cars must be swearing like sailors. Please pass a rule the cuts the NASCAR crap from all racing.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Having two DRS passing zones but only one detection zone in Valencia is retarded. There are three turns and approximately 10 seconds between the end of the 1st DRS passing zone and the beginning of the 2nd DRS passing zone and there is close to 30 seconds difference between the detection zone and the beginning of the 2nd DRS passing zone. If there are to be two DRS passing zones, why have only one detection zone? Almost every driver thinks there should be two detection zones. But the FIA isn't listening.

Also, at the next race (Silverstone), the blown diffusers said to be legal at the beginning of the season will all of sudden become illegal because one team happens to be better with the technology. In past years when one team or another had the dominate car, did the FIA change the rules mid season? No they waited for the season to end before ushering new regulations. The FIA is showing us they are getting desperate and are now beginning to tweak the rules in order to engineer Ferrari and McLaren wins.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
...in past years when one team or another had the dominate car, did the FIA change the rules mid season? No they waited for the season to end before ushering new regulations. The FIA is showing us they are getting desperate and are now beginning to tweak the rules in order to engineer Ferrari and McLaren wins.
Actually they've changed rules mid season.
OTOH McLaren's extra brake pedal and Renault's mass damper come to mind.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

It look like the front row is all RBR, with Hamilton and Alonso behind them. The usual suspects ended in the front rows . Should be an exciting race
Old 06-25-2011, 11:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Why is the poll closed?

Webber has an open invitation to join Renault as #1 driver. Not sure who qualifies as top teams or where the cuttoff is. Be interesting when things go back to V6 turbos. Renault certainly has some experience over other rivals in this genre.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alonso fails to capture pole in front of home crowd ... Sato capture pole at IRL Iowa race

http://blog.indycar.com/2011/06/25/w...iowa-speedway/

Excuse me, DV, Brenda Vaccaro called ... She wants to know if you would like some free samples.

BTW, could someone please tell Massa to not qualify so close to DV. The F150 Itatia is supposed to be such a donkey cart that only the best driver in F1 should be capable of posting a competitive lap...certainly not an inferior teammate such as Massa.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
BTW, could someone please tell Massa to not qualify so close to DV. The F150 Itatia is supposed to be such a donkey cart that only the best driver in F1 should be capable of posting a competitive lap...certainly not an inferior teammate such as Massa.
Disclaimer: I am not an Alonso fan ... but he did drive a good race today.

I am not sure how well Massa would have done had Ferrari not messed with Massa's first pit stop keeping the Brazilian out there with worn tires. I doubt Massa would have passed Alonso, but Ferrari appears to have sacrificed Massa and Hamilton was there to take advantage of Ferrari's generosity. No Alonso drove well, almost as well as Vettel. It seemed like every driver had one or more issue today. Every driver except Vettel who has increased his championship lead ... again.

It was Hamilton who was whining "I can't go any slower" or "I can't go any faster". Lewis is a fast driver, but he sure did not do a good job managing his tires today. Of course he did take home 4th place, so there are plenty of other drivers who would like to trade places with him.

Up next Silverstone where the FIA is changing the rules. Will it have the effect they so dearly desire?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Vettel!!! Pole - Win - Fastest Lap. Webber just could not keep up with DV before the trans problem. DV drove a very good race and the car showed pace relative to RB - talk about the vig having been paid, that was on full display today.

I do not like the major changes to the car coming mid-season. Just because RB designed a superior car does not mean the rules should be changed to benefit the lesser capable teams. They can do their work in the off-season and build a better machine. They did not rule the Brawn design illegal nor change the rules that year. Just seems FIA wants Ferrari and McLaren to be competitive this year regardless of their shortcoming with their designs.

****! Everything is rigged - from the world economy to Formula 1. At least NASCAR and wrestling don`t hide it (anymore).
Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

you gotta love a race where the most exciting thing the announcers have to talk about is how fast the pit stops are
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was a terrific race, and Fernando drove a very good race. Too bad about Webber's troubles, as he could have challenged Fernando for the second place on the podium. Fox coverage sucks I always enjoy the top three finishers at the end which was ignored by Fox except for Vettel's comments

Quick Reply: 2011 European Grand Prix