Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennsport PCA Registration; Which Class?....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see we are up to 137 vying for the 50 spots. I note even Kevin Buckler is trying to join the group with a 2003 RS (GTA1) car.

Is it usually first-come basis for entry or do they apply other criteria when over-subscribed?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone heard from PCA regarding their race entry?....
Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Event Info tab now says:
"Confirmations will begin during the week of July 4th.
The waiting lists will be posted on ClubRegistration.net beginning the week of July 11th"
Looks like they've slipped the schedule a week. Perhaps to give more time to figure out how to manage the entries. I noticed the Cayman Interseries registration deadline is 6/30 - coincidence?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there more than 50 Cayman racers that are going to tow across country and back???? I dont think so. So why not get rid of that run group and open it up to more of us? Then put all Cupcars in one run group..... And while we are at it, get Obama out of office.
Wishfull thinking......
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Plavan
Are there more than 50 Cayman racers that are going to tow across country and back???? I dont think so. So why not get rid of that run group and open it up to more of us? Then put all Cupcars in one run group..... And while we are at it, get Obama out of office.
Wishfull thinking......
Ok that rant made me laugh this morning. Thanks Chad....

PCA wants to optimize their entries as much as we want them to. There's 150 spots up for grabs including the Cayman Spec Group 6. My bet is PCA will get somewhere around 130 of them divided up among 3 race groups....
Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

I too believe that the PCA Club Racing folks will do their best to get folks in and set up the groups to ensure fun and safe racing. Let's hope for stellar weather. The atmosphere in the paddock should be great with all of the various Porsches.

For those planning on coming out, I suggest making hotel reservations as soon as you can... a lot of places are already booked in Monterey and the nearby towns.

Be aware that the Porsche Racing Club has an event under NASA sanction at Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) two weeks after RR IV. It will be our tenth annual "Porsches at the Point" season-ender. We race in an all-Porsche group. We can probably find a place for you to store your trailer/car for the two weeks between events.

- Mike
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice to all making this inquiry is to "stay tuned"

Susan Shire is currently out of the office on a short but well deserved vacation. She is the registrar for this event and will be getting back to all who have registered with clarification as to your registration status but not until after the Fourth of July weekend at the earliest.

Bryan Henderson is holding discussions with SCRAMP regarding some sort of third PCA CR group combined with the Cayman Interseries folks but is the discussions are slow.

Agreed that the Cayman Interseries group will be the most boring race group that weekend if they've only got 13 or so cars that show up but the composition of the groups are being determined by SCRAMP with PCNA involvement.

Stay tuned.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryW
I so want to register my rolling chicane of a 944Spec car but think it would be a waste of my and others time to so so. Maybe one day they will have a slot for the older/slower variants that also are part of the the Porsche racing history.
I never even considered trying with my 944-spec. I don't really mind the fast cars on track as I am used that to given some NASA races here, but I figured us 944 guys would get the shaft. Porsche as company is interested in it history, but only the 911 really. They enterain the Cayman due to it being a current production model, but sometimes I think they would like the 944 to be erased from their history.

Too bad as it is great place for low buck guys get into Porsche and I think it helps promote the brand beyond just $$$$$$$$$$ of it, but to the hardcore sports car types. Plus how many other mid 80's cars can be raced and abused like we do. Shows how tough a Porsche can be.

Any way /rant

Best of luck to those who are trying to get in and I hope those that do have a great time.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

I spoke to Susan last week and I thought she was just getting back from vacation.... anyway, she will be doing her thing and I think it will be really cool to meet her at RR IV. She does such a fantastic job for PCA.

I hope that we see a good turn out of 924/944 family cars... in the club racing groups as well as the historic groups. I have "toured" some of the more famous factory 924/944 family race cars and ridden in a Rothman's Turbo Cup 944 and I think they are all cool cars. I am trying to convince my friend to bring his ex-Rothman's 951 but he is hedging.

I also hope that we get a great turn out of spectators. This should be the biggest Porsche event out here since the '98 anniversary, and that was one heck of a good time.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I note we are up to 147 vying for the 50 spots in group 7 and group 8 is at 28 (of 50).
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Received the same response and I registered the moment it came up. Check the roster a few minutes later and there's 121 total registered, but only 16 in the Cup Car class group 8. Wow, that's really interesting. Where are all the Cups?....
I just registered for the Cup run group (30 cars entered as of a few minutes ago). However, I've never raced with PCA before so I'm not even sure they'll let me in. I'm in the process of waiting for the PCA membership to come through, then will fill out the competition license forms and see what they say.

Originally I skipped over the registration because I thought there was going to be a Pirelli Cup race at this event and I was planning to run with them. Looks like that fell through though.

Hope to find some more seat time at Laguna before the Reunion race to drop into the 29's.....

-mike
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fleadh
Hope to find some more seat time at Laguna before the Reunion race to drop into the 29's.....

-mike
Well then you should join us (POC) at our annual Laguna race weekend Aug 26-28. The red group will have many cups along with some very special GT1 and GTA cars. Hey Mooty even joins us.....
Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well then you should join us (POC) at our annual Laguna race weekend Aug 26-28. The red group will have many cups along with some very special GT1 and GTA cars. Hey Mooty even joins us.....
Is that a 92db weekend? I have some ghetto-92db-muffler-contraption for my car but haven't tried them yet.

-mike
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I spoke to Susan last week and I thought she was just getting back from vacation.... anyway, she will be doing her thing and I think it will be really cool to meet her at RR IV. She does such a fantastic job for PCA.

I hope that we see a good turn out of 924/944 family cars... in the club racing groups as well as the historic groups. I have "toured" some of the more famous factory 924/944 family race cars and ridden in a Rothman's Turbo Cup 944 and I think they are all cool cars. I am trying to convince my friend to bring his ex-Rothman's 951 but he is hedging.

I also hope that we get a great turn out of spectators. This should be the biggest Porsche event out here since the '98 anniversary, and that was one heck of a good time.
I sent an entrant application for RR IV to race a Rothmans 944. We'll see if it gets accepted and if it is assigned to Group 2 (under 2.5L).

I find it interesting that the groupings don't specifically show 944s anywhere - it could technically be in Cup as these 944s were the Cup cars prior to the Carrera Cups. At least, the Porsche Museum recognizes and displays the 924/944 race cars appropriately...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fleadh
Is that a 92db weekend? I have some ghetto-92db-muffler-contraption for my car but haven't tried them yet.

-mike
Yes it is 92 db unfortunately. Remember that insulating the intake or air box is equally as important with cups. Hope yo can join us. Here's a link to the information,
http://porscheownersclub.org/events/...E141-Info.html

And a link to registration:
http://porscheownersclub.org/events/...E141-Info2.pdf

Quick Reply: Rennsport PCA Registration; Which Class?....