Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Karen,

I would avoid adding cool gel packs to the helmet. The helmet should fit as snugh as possible without causing pain. I would be concerned that you would have to use a slightly larger sized helmet to incorporate the gel packs. I've seen headbands with cooling gel packs in them that people use for sports activities or working in hot environments; however, again I would be concerned this you would have to compromise the fit of the helmet.

As some other folks mentioned, Cool Shirt makes a hooded cool shirt. I've had some customers use them and love them. I think this would be the best solution if you don't want cool air blowing on your face and if you have room for a cooler or bag system in your vehicle.

Here's a link to the cool shirt accessories to show what's available:

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=308

And here's the hooded cool shirt link:

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1198.htm
The hoodie is a great option but sometimes it's a little too chilly. Also the short with the pipes can often be painful to wear if you have a snug helmet. I cut the elastic waistband on the hoodie and push it down a little more so that it's sits on the back of my neck, it's seems to be more effective.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I drive with my visor down and the air flow doesn't bother me at all. I don't notice it after I leave the paddock.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 307 Posts

[QUOTE=Jerseybean;8653986] Also the short with the pipes can often be painful to wear if you have a snug helmet. [QUOTE]
Wondered about that.
Originally Posted by earlyapex
I don't notice it after I leave the paddock.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM
racing916
Racer

I sweated my *** off last club race at the glen with my balaclava on and helmet, but as soon as I went on the track with visor down, and no cooling system I never noticed the heat until the race was done.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by racing916
I sweated my *** off last club race at the glen with my balaclava on and helmet, but as soon as I went on the track with visor down, and no cooling system I never noticed the heat until the race was done.
This is an issue which should be monitored closely. Often when we're busy, be it in a race car, on a bike, running and yes, even in the pool, we don't notice the heat - intil it's too late.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice a huge difference wearing a cool suit. Without it when it's hot I find it way harder to stay focused and the races seem very long and I'm exhausted when I get out of the car. With the cool suit I'm more competitive in the second half of the race and feel way better at the end, especially if you end up on pre-grid in the sun for a long time before the start. I was amazed at the difference the cooling made mentally and physically.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I notice a huge difference wearing a cool suit. Without it when it's hot I find it way harder to stay focused and the races seem very long and I'm exhausted when I get out of the car. With the cool suit I'm more competitive in the second half of the race and feel way better at the end, especially if you end up on pre-grid in the sun for a long time before the start. I was amazed at the difference the cooling made mentally and physically.
Yup. IMO driver cooling and coaching are the 2 best highest-return investments a racer can make.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Driver Coaching

Agree on the Cooling System & Coaching.

"Put me in Coach" is a great article from one of our customers regarding driver coaching.

Here's the link:

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/pg_epaul.asp

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I found the coach to be heavy and sat where the cool suit cooler goes so I couldn't use it Although watching Dave trying to write on a pad while in 1.5 G corners was entertaining and I did knock 2.5 seconds off my best time from last year! One of the two is working for me...maybe both
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Personally I found the coach to be heavy and sat where the cool suit cooler goes so I couldn't use it Although watching Dave trying to write on a pad while in 1.5 G corners was entertaining and I did knock 2.5 seconds off my best time from last year! One of the two is working for me...maybe both
LOL! Coaches are ballast!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by racing916
+1 I felt like I had just stepped out of a steaming hot shower by the time I was done - and still needed to dry off!!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

LMAO! I just got back from attending the circle-jerk F1 hearing in front of our City Council here...I needed that laugh!

The 2.5 seconds....definitely the coach.

Ricky...hahahahaaa!!

Quick Reply: Helmets