Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revalve my Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Is this not just math? At least enough to make it an 80/20 issue?

You do the math, and you get 80% of the output from 20% of the effort/money/time, etc.

So you have spring rates, wheel rates (the ratio of movement on the suspension in motion in relation to the spring rates), wheel WEIGHTS, car weight and usage.

I have a set of bilsteins that "will have to do" for my project. Until I know what springs I will run, and what my wheel weights will be, I can't drive the 10 miles to where they do this at Bilstein in Poway, CA - but when I do, I'll want to know that its going to be done to my specs and not some large window of possible usage - Like "Fast, Medium, Slow"

I want to be able to give the stats and info and get inside a much smaller window of valving.

If that isn't going to happen, I may as well plan on making some changes to the pickup points so I can use some other, much more adjustable shock.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack, based upon all of the tinkering that you have done to your car, I am surprized that you don't go to 2 way adjustable shocks. I had sport shocks revalved by Bilstein on my 84 Carrera, and while they were a definite improvement, it was so 90's technology. The 3-way Motons on my RSA were a revealation. What I quickly learned was that there was no "one perfect adjustment" and that my base setup for smooth tracks had to be tweaked for tracks with abrupt elevation changes, and changed a lot for bumpy tracks. What worked at the Glen, did not work at Mid-Ohio, and what worked there would not work at Summit Point. I would never willing have a racecar that did not have adjustable shocks.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry,

The challenge, at least for me, is that unless you know what you are doing changing the adjustments on shocks is more likely to do harm than good. Yes, it's a compromise to not change them based on track conditions, but then if you don't have the knowledge behind it, where's the value right?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cstreit
Larry,

The challenge, at least for me, is that unless you know what you are doing changing the adjustments on shocks is more likely to do harm than good. Yes, it's a compromise to not change them based on track conditions, but then if you don't have the knowledge behind it, where's the value right?
I understand what you are saying, but in light of how good a car can be when it is right, if possible I would prefer to have the 2 ways, get a pro to set it up for my favorite track and then live with it everywhere else. At least I know that it would be exactly right at one track.

Quick Reply: Revalve my Bilsteins