Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SmartyCam. Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011 | 10:50 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

don`t worry, smartycam is a great system, you`ll like it. what I was talking about was the way to make custom track maps for your locations, like auto-x course you run or any track which is not in the supplied database. there are many ways to skin a cat, what i posted above is just one of them.
Old 07-12-2011 | 11:12 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tim
How do all those Tom-Toms or Garmins work?
Well, I don't really know what I am talking about here (how's that for a convincing start), but I did read in Chris Brown's book (about racing data systems) that you need a much higher sampling rate for the GPS data on the track, which I am inferring to mean that perhaps navigation system sampling may not be as critical.
But like I said, I don't really know the answer.
Old 07-12-2011 | 11:41 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim
Just toss the gps antenna on the dash, or rear shelf... secure with some velcro or double sided tape...No need for the antenna to be on the roof

How do all those Tom-Toms or Garmins work?
The Tom Toms and Garmins work at a slow speed compared to what we are doing on a racetrack. They have the maps preloaded and the software will somewhat predict your location based on speed and current heading information from the GPS satellites. The antennas in these units don't need a constant GPS signal for this reason.

On the AIM and most GPS based data systems the antennas work better on the roof of the car. The reason being is they get a better GPS feed from the satellites as there is very little to interfere with the feed. If you place it on your dash the antenna may get the read from the satellites straight overhead, directly in front, etc but it is having trouble getting a read from the satellites behind the car as the roof is getting in the way. And this changes as we move around the track in a moving car. This is why on track we get spots where the GPS will drop off or a change in speed suddenly occurs when we look at the data. The antenna on top of the car helps eliminate some of these issues compared to the antenna on the dash.
Old 07-12-2011 | 09:12 PM
Tim
Racer

The Tom Toms and Garmins work at a slow speed compared to what we are doing on a racetrack. They have the maps preloaded and the software will somewhat predict your location based on speed and current heading information from the GPS satellites. The antennas in these units don't need a constant GPS signal for this reason.

I know....

On the AIM and most GPS based data systems the antennas work better on the roof of the car. The reason being is they get a better GPS feed from the satellites as there is very little to interfere with the feed.
I know..

Have been using Data logging devices on my racecars for almost 15 year.... and GPS based units aince the stone ages in data logging.. DL-90, G-cube etc..

The op has a 944 i believe.. you can have the antenna under that "skylight" rear hatch and get locks on to all satellites that are available..

In any event the logarithms that draw the track maps are using some sort of correlation functions that sort the data... basically averaging for best fit curves etc..

I love the vbox...2cm accuracy..

no way no how...

On my 911 I really just tossed the antenna on the dash... the only time I had signal loss is at the Glen....In the laces.... the trees caused the signal loss..
Old 07-18-2011 | 09:58 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

OK, so I raced last weekend and used the SmartyCam. I was at Monticello Motor Club, which is not a listed track. I went to the S/F line and captured the coordinates, and everything seemed to work just great, until I realized that it didn't map out the track on the overlay. What up?

Old 07-18-2011 | 10:55 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Frank:
You can change was is displayed on the overlay. You do that in Smarty Manager. Since you are not pulling RPM data, you can remove the tach, change the size and location of the speedometer, insert other things like logos, a photo of your car etc. Open Smarty Manager, go to Smarty cam configuration. On the right are a series of tabs. One is labeled map. Click on it, then you will see "track map." Drag and drop what you would like to have displayed over on the left, save the configuration. Take this time to remove the tach. Make sure your camera is connected to your laptop and transmit the configuration to your camera.
Old 07-18-2011 | 10:58 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Also note that we have not implemented the ability to draw the map in stand alone mode. If you are connected to a logger you will have to export the gps map and then import it into Smarty Manager.
Old 07-18-2011 | 11:42 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
Also note that we have not implemented the ability to draw the map in stand alone mode. If you are connected to a logger you will have to export the gps map and then import it into Smarty Manager.
How do you get it from Race Studio to the Smarty Cam?
Old 07-18-2011 | 11:49 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

In Analysis, export the test to your desktop. Then open Smarty Manger and either create a new track or add to an existing track that only has SF coordinates. you want to load track shape. Navigate to the .gpk file on your desktop and you will now have all the laps from that test. After you load the track shape make sure you uncheck the box that says show all laps. This will allow you to select the lap that you want to be displayed on the video. You don't want your out lap or your in lap. Once you have selected the lap, hit save. Now transmit this track to tue SmartyCam.
Old 07-19-2011 | 09:11 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

I don't get it. And how do I load coordinates from tracks that don't even show up on Google Earth?
It seems that NJMP and Monticello are too new. Or is it just me? Do you guys see these circuits on Google?
Old 07-19-2011 | 09:35 AM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

You can load them manualy with the camera or if you have a logger with a display you can "set lap beacon" via the display.

On the SmartyCam you go to lap managenemt, stand at SF and press "fix" this will set the SF beacon.

Or you can call me and I can walk you though it as well.

727-647-2674

Jordan
Old 07-19-2011 | 10:32 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Is there an easy way to generate labels? I have it setup to display coolant and oil temps, but I dont see anything in the menu to label them as such. My brake seems to be swapped w/ throttle, though the throttle isnt reading anything. I'll have to play with that. What do people normally set for the Brake/throttle in the SmartyCam manager?

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Is there an easy way to generate labels?
http://vimeo.com/26564998
Raise the camera, Eric!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Well, I don't really know what I am talking about here (how's that for a convincing start), but I did read in Chris Brown's book (about racing data systems) that you need a much higher sampling rate for the GPS data on the track, which I am inferring to mean that perhaps navigation system sampling may not be as critical.
But like I said, I don't really know the answer.
All respect to Chris, but you CAN compare apples to apples. TM to TM, R-K to R-K, DL-1 to DL-1 and VBOX to VBOX, just fine.

I can see his point in evaluating system to system, but for tools to help drivers gauge improvement, they're all more than adequate.
Old 07-19-2011 | 11:55 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Raise the camera, Eric!
I know, I know. Still experimenting as the unit is new to me. It's as high as it goes on the horizontal rollcage bar, so Ill probably need to move it to a different bar.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam. Anybody?