Sponsored by:

SmartyCam. Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if i`m not mistaken new kits they sell come with external gps sensor by default so you do not have to buy it separetely.

dpeneding of what ECU you got you can also get OBD2 bridge or RPM bridge to get engine date included. there are no perfect systems on the market but smartycam is quite nice.

to enter new track data you use GPS manager software. it is quite easy. you make a 'trace' file in google earth ina import it into gps manager.
GPS Manager is never used with SmartyCam. Smarty Manager has GPS Manager built in. It's labeled "tracks" on the home page.

I am unaware of using Google Earth for anything other than finding coordinates. I am not aware of it being able to create a track map that can be imported into Smarty Manager.

Also, always use the supplied GPS Module mounted on the roof if possible. This will give the best results.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The gps module is quite good compared to old external one. I had the older version gps connected to pista dash, mounted on outside of car and it was unable to pick up satellites in my garage. I mounted new smartycam one, inside my car, under rear lexan window and it acquired several satellites inside my garage.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Frank

Not sure if you were at NJMP this past weekend but my friend has one on his Caterham R400.

I will find out what he did for T-bolt.

Joe
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
GPS Manager is never used with SmartyCam. Smarty Manager has GPS Manager built in. It's labeled "tracks" on the home page.

I am unaware of using Google Earth for anything other than finding coordinates. I am not aware of it being able to create a track map that can be imported into Smarty Manager.

Also, always use the supplied GPS Module mounted on the roof if possible. This will give the best results.
Hi Jordan
Is it generally safe to snake the GPS module between the door weather seal and the opening? I am wondering about crimping the cable.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

There is a very nice piece of free software called Tyre which lets build itineraries for downloading to nav systems.

It works with Google Maps and Google Earth. Now if you zoom right in, you can set waypoints to accurately map the track. Don't worry about too many waypoints as you can chain itineraries.

Once you have created your itinerary, you can extract a list of the GPS coordinates. Somebody vaguely nerdy will be able to tell you what you need to do to directly load your map data onto your track system, most likely you have to name the file or have a header in a specific format.

Tyre is a great piece of software, i have just used it to do the routing for a charity dash from UK to Nuerburgring, Rhine Gorge, Neckar valley, St. Moritz, Italian lakes and Monte Carlo. Its only downside is the rather rudimentary printed driving instructions and odd timing. But there are ways around that.

R+C
Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
Frank

Not sure if you were at NJMP this past weekend but my friend has one on his Caterham R400.

I will find out what he did for T-bolt.

Joe
Thanks Joe, but the program already has T-bolt in it. Lightning, however; is not.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

For that matter, how do you get the coordinates of a track that doesn't appear on Google Earth (Lightning, Monticello....)?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
matt325
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Jordan
Is it generally safe to snake the GPS module between the door weather seal and the opening? I am wondering about crimping the cable.
I did this through the sunroof seal for my Traqmate GPS antenna and I think it crimped it bad enough to fail it. Worked for one event, then the next one it couldn't find the GPS signal, or, if it did, would lose it during the session. Very frustrating. There is no visual damage to the wire.

Fortunately, replacements are like $8 on eBay. Just got the new one, so I am hoping this solves the problem.

The door weather seal might be less force than the sunroof seal, but be careful.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna just go through the open passenger window anyway on this.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

[quote=RickBetterley;8679407]Is it generally safe to snake the GPS module between the door weather seal and the opening? I am wondering about crimping the cable.[/QUOTE
Originally Posted by gums
I'm gonna just go through the open passenger window anyway on this.
I used this mounting without incident until I did the full install; I would roll up the window all the way, then try to relieve just a teeny bit of pressure; no worries.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Tim
Racer

Just toss the gps antenna on the dash, or rear shelf... secure with some velcro or double sided tape...No need for the antenna to be on the roof

How do all those Tom-Toms or Garmins work?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
For that matter, how do you get the coordinates of a track that doesn't appear on Google Earth (Lightning, Monticello....)?
What we did at Tremblant is to walk out to the start/finish line and set the coordinates in the menu.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lolaman
What we did at Tremblant is to walk out to the start/finish line and set the coordinates in the menu.
Yeah, that's what they're telling me to do. Just carry it out to start finish, or pull the car over there, and set the spot. However, if you use the GPS module I'm told to make sure it's attached at the time as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
trick is simple enough. you take any existing .kml file from '/tracks' directory in the gps manager and preserve its XML header.

in google earth you find your location and create a 'trace' there, when you save it from file/save as usual, it creates a file with sequence of coordinates.
you copy this set of coordinates into your own .KML file, into <coordinates> section and edit values of <longitude> and <latitude> section. then in gps manager you create new track and put there this newly created KML file, compile it into .kmb file.

it is easy enough procedure and it definitely works.

PS. i attached sample file, rename it from .txt into .kml and have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Moore AAF.txt (3.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

^^^No clue what you're talking about^^^
Just looking for an easy way to get on with the driving....

Quick Reply: SmartyCam. Anybody?