SmartyCam. Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
It takes this tiny little card, I've never seen anything like it!
And you won't see it for long; they are easy to drop and good luck finding it again if your car is like mine (black interior, cage, race seats, etc.).
Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Are you sure, your wife said something different the other day.
Back on form, I see!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
And you won't see it for long; they are easy to drop and good luck finding it again if your car is like mine (black interior, cage, race seats, etc.).
Smarty has a USB which you can plug in, it's a little slower but will stop you from loosing the card. I think the next generation should have a bluetooth or similar. It would be great to allow the camera & aim to talk to the computer instead of doing the plug in. The file size might be a little large though.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

SCORE! Gonna have a few questions, Mark.
-Do I need to use that external GPS atop my roof?
-How to enter Lat and Long of an unlisted track and do I get that off GoogleEarth?
-Will it map the track itself from S/F?
if i`m not mistaken new kits they sell come with external gps sensor by default so you do not have to buy it separetely.

dpeneding of what ECU you got you can also get OBD2 bridge or RPM bridge to get engine date included. there are no perfect systems on the market but smartycam is quite nice.

to enter new track data you use GPS manager software. it is quite easy. you make a 'trace' file in google earth ina import it into gps manager.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

I put a piece of yellow tape on the end of the micro sd cards to form a tab that makes it easier to put in and out of the camera and sd adapter - plus makes it a lot easier to find if you drop it - just use tape of a contrasting color to your interior.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou L
I put a piece of yellow tape on the end of the micro sd cards to form a tab that makes it easier to put in and out of the camera and sd adapter - plus makes it a lot easier to find if you drop it - just use tape of a contrasting color to your interior.
Great idea. I'm always looking for mine on my dark blue floor. They somehow like to find their way under the seat mount areas....
Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a mini-SD card somewhere under my seat/fuel cell area. I hope to find it one day.....
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Anyone have an external mic plugged in yet - the sound on the smarty isn't the best.

Frank - get a nice size media card, I just purchased a 16GB from New egg for $26.
Make sure you get a class 10 card. There's lots of cheap ones on the market, but the 16GB at 10x speed is around $65. IIRC....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 06-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

-How to enter Lat and Long of an unlisted track and do I get that off GoogleEarth?
I have the GPS antenna mounted on my cowl in front of the windshield Frank. I ran the wire under my dash and into the front trunk, works perfectly there for me. Mine is plugged right into my AIM Pista's Data Hub and gets it's S/F from that I believe, so not familiar with the standalone setups..
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Shoulda known you'd have the thing wired, Gary! You love this techie stuff.....
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Frank:
To skip having to set start finish, download the latest edition of Smarty Manager off of www.aim-sportline.com

There is a tab on the left when you open Smarty Manager labled "tracks." You can select and load the tracks you run and plan to run, and send them to the SmartyCam. That way when you turn on the unit at the track, it will see where it is and you won't have to mess with setting the start finish. If you are going to VIR this weekend for the club race, I'll do it for you. Or let me know when your next event at NJMP is since odds are I will be at that one as well.

Also, the camera will work with or without the external GPS antenna since it has an internal one as well, but I would use the external.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

- I drilled a hole through my roof and used a rubber gromet to seal the wire, The bottom of the GPS unit is a pretty good magnet. The GPS comes with the kit.

- I use Google Earth and set the coordinate system to feet and degree/decimal system. I zero on the start/finish line. Use SmartyManager to load the track onder its Track function.

- The Track will map itself. Under Modify in Race Studio Analysis set the Speed Reference to GPS and voila you have a track.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
to enter new track data you use GPS manager software. it is quite easy. you make a 'trace' file in google earth ina import it into gps manager.
What is a trace file?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Frank:
To skip having to set start finish, download the latest edition of Smarty Manager off of www.aim-sportline.com

There is a tab on the left when you open Smarty Manager labled "tracks." You can select and load the tracks you run and plan to run, and send them to the SmartyCam. That way when you turn on the unit at the track, it will see where it is and you won't have to mess with setting the start finish. If you are going to VIR this weekend for the club race, I'll do it for you. Or let me know when your next event at NJMP is since odds are I will be at that one as well.

Also, the camera will work with or without the external GPS antenna since it has an internal one as well, but I would use the external.
All helpful stuff, keep it coming.
The problem I'm having wth Smarty Manager tracks is that they don't list all the ones we run on (NJMP Lightning, Pocono...)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

All helpful stuff, keep it coming.
The problem I'm having wth Smarty Manager tracks is that they don't list all the ones we run on (NJMP Lightning, Pocono...)
I run at TWS and had the same problem. See my reply above you. It is easy to set the start finish. Send me your phone number by Private Messages and I will walk you through it.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Frank:
You can manually set the start finish on those two as Bob said. I haven't tried doing it the way he described but will play around with it.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam. Anybody?