Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lewis Hamilton to drive MP4-23 at Watkins Glen 6/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a huge disappointment. So much hype, and little delivery. Yes, Hamilton's personality was a much needed boost to the show...but to have them run on WETS,-------------- instead of waiting a little bit until they were able to drive the track with parade laps........and THEN go on slicks.......seemed pointless.

No timing or telemtry..............no GPS,...........really was quite boring.

The only drama was when Hamilton did "donuts" prior to entering the pits.............

And the REAL drama was when "SMOKE" who weighs 180-190, got out of the F1 car, and proceeded to STAND on the chassis right infront of the steering wheel. He was quickly "instructed" to get off from that location. I thought the F1 engineer was going to throw a "clot"

Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGT3
What a huge disappointment. So much hype, and little delivery. Yes, Hamilton's personality was a much needed boost to the show...but to have them run on WETS,-------------- instead of waiting a little bit until they were able to drive the track with parade laps........and THEN go on slicks.......seemed pointless.

The only drama was when Hamilton did "donuts" prior to entering the pits.............

And the REAL drama was when "SMOKE" who weighs 180-190, got out of the F1 car, and proceeded to STAND on the chassis right infront of the steering wheel. He was quickly "instructed" to get off from that location. I thought the F1 engineer was going to throw a "clot"
Ummmmm....yeeeaaahhhhh.....I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Peter.

Could it have been better, yeah, but it was still cool to see two great drivers trade cars on a track that we know and have driven. It was also cool to see their respect for each other and how much fun they had driving the other cars.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

[QUOTE=SpeedGT3;8639539]What a huge disappointment. So much hype, and little delivery. Yes, Hamilton's personality was a much needed boost to the show...but to have them run on WETS,-------------- instead of waiting a little bit until they were able to drive the track with parade laps........and THEN go on slicks.......seemed pointless.

They were under a time crunch for both the drivers ( both flew out of there right after the finish) and for the TV production that made the idea of waiting until it dried to run slicks impossible, as it was they added almost a hour to the day in the hopes of it drying out a bit. Both drivers expressed the opinion that they would stay and run more laps on slicks if it was possible but it just was not in the cards that day.

Both cars ran timing and telemetry but because WG is a track that NASCAR still has yet to run on this year, and NASCAR has a testing ban in effect for current tracks, they had to walk a very, very fine line in the amount of time the NASCAR car could be on the track for. Tony did say afterwards that there is no good reason that they should not be running the full course and addressed his comments to Mike Helton.

As far as Tony standing on the car at the end, it was done because of the direction by Lewis who told him, "Tony when you get out, stand up here" pointing to the location on the front, the crew was completely fine with it and no one "instructed" him to get off.

Last edited by syncspeedinc; 06-15-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer check
Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Whats the story with the racing suit? Other than it being the same size I would have worn when I was 11?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
. It was also cool to see their respect for each other and how much fun they had driving the other cars.
Been there done that....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3LfTrZa-p4
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

It was all-in-all a good day, in spite of the cold (50 degrees) and chill (gusty north winds) and wet (drizzle). Stewart and Hamilton appeared to genuinely enjoy the day and the swap, especially Stewart (for obvious reasons).

Since this is my "home" track (I'm just over an hour away), it was even more gratifying for me to listen to their comments (positive) on the track.

Stewart knows the course well, and his in-car video shows he is on line, Hamilton was early and late in turn 1 (aren't we all?), but their driving in each car shows they indeed are professional drivers (Stewart looked like he was still racing in the IRL and Hamilton's burnout was better than Jeff Gordon's).

Slicks in the dry would have been cool, but the weather didn't go along with it-so obsessing about lap times is non-productive.

Some low-quality pics from me:
Attached Images      
Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
syncspeedinc,

Tell everyone what you told me about Hamilton's driving suit. That was fascinating!

The quick story is that I had a chance to see his drivers suit in his dressing room before the day started and it is so thin and lightweight, it is made out of something that I have not seen drivers suit made out of before, it looked almost paper thin. All of the graphics on the suit are not embroidered on and no patches are attached, they are all silkscreened onto the suit to increase the drivers comfort in the suit and to save weight over standard suits, according to one of his crew members.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
Tony did say afterwards that there is no good reason that they should not be running the full course and addressed his comments to Mike Helton.
When the NASCAR striaight was built, wasn't the justification that fans would not be able to see their favorite driver lap as frequently?

I'd love to see NASCAR run the boot. The toe is my favorite turn there. The brakes don't wear as much as expected, because you can use the uphill banking and throttle steer the cars around it.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
The quick story is that I had a chance to see his drivers suit in his dressing room before the day started and it is so thin and lightweight, it is made out of something that I have not seen drivers suit made out of before, it looked almost paper thin. All of the graphics on the suit are not embroidered on and no patches are attached, they are all silkscreened onto the suit to increase the drivers comfort in the suit and to save weight over standard suits, according to one of his crew members.
Your names not Weiner is it?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Your names not Weiner is it?
I am not sure of your point but it would not seem to be a compliment.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Ummmmm....yeeeaaahhhhh.....I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Peter.

Could it have been better, yeah, but it was still cool to see two great drivers trade cars on a track that we know and have driven. It was also cool to see their respect for each other and how much fun they had driving the other cars.
I thought it was great, especially because I've run on the track a few times, and it's is one of my favorites. Both drivers looked to be having a lot of fun, and Lewis seemed to really like the track, I love that they told him to come into the pits and he said he couldn't hear them, taking another lap Tony on the other hand came right in when they said pit....

After seeing the F1 car out there with Montreal fresh in my mind, the Glen seemed wide open by comparison. I bet Lewis wants to drive there in his F1 full scream on slicks!

Bring F1 back to Watkins Glen!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

One thing I found amusing was prior to them going out, all the Nascar mechanics are sitting back staring at the cars, taking pic's drinking coffee and the F1 mechanics are all over their car, laptops plugged in, adjusting things, checking tire temps.................funny to see how all is handled to each group.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I just watched those videos, but enjoyed each one driving the others' car and their reactions. Two great drivers doing something they were both very excited about! Sure there was a lot of presentation "fluff", but that's to be expected when you need to turn 4 laps into an hour long feature.

The best was
Over the radio while Hamilton was at turn 10: "Come into the pits now"
Hamilton: "What? I can't hear you!"
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
The best was
Over the radio while Hamilton was at turn 10: "Come into the pits now"
Hamilton: "What? I can't hear you!"
I agree. That was great when he did that. Classic.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

This was good stuff. I enjoyed it very much.

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton to drive MP4-23 at Watkins Glen 6/14