Sponsored by:

Testicles… How to grow them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts
Default *********… How to grow them?

Barring FDA approval of growacet… How do you master “more gas less brake”? I’m 3-4 seconds off of class pace, and know the problem. I brake too much…
I’m cursing myself all the way from turn-in to apex (could be carrying much more speed) then to add insult to injury my relatively underpowered car can’t make it back up on exit….

So let’s hear it, how do I grow some? I’m getting some professional coaching next week… But would like to hear from the peanut gallery…

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't know, but if you figure it out, make sure they don't outgrow your brain. If you figure out how to grow the brain, let me know please?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't know if this applies, but often, overbraking is the result of not looking into the corner while braking. One fixates on the braking point but by not "seeing" the corner, we can't figure out the correct entry speed. This makes people stay on the brakes more than necessary. This may not be the reason in your particular case, it's just a fairly typical problem.

Best,
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I don't know if this applies, but often, overbraking is the result of not looking into the corner while braking. One fixates on the braking point but by not "seeing" the corner, we can't figure out the correct entry speed. This makes people stay on the brakes more than necessary. This may not be the reason in your particular case, it's just a fairly typical problem.

Best,

Excellent point. Another thing is to focus on where the car's weight is moving in all the transitions (especially braking) and working to soften & reduce the drama of these weight transitions.

IMO it's not about *********. it's about really being aware of what the car is doing, and being more gentle in the guidance you give it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look thru the corner, you should be past the corner mentally much before you are thru it physically.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

seat time, improve little by little as your confidence increases.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

One thing that has worked for me is to lift and slow your entry into the braking zone, and work on lighter braking and faster corner entry speed. After you have become more used to the higher corner entry speed, go back to full straight-line speed. Try then to brake with less force so that you can get back to the same corner entry speed you were using when you you came in with less straightaway speed.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
One thing that has worked for me is to lift and slow your entry into the braking zone, and work on lighter braking and faster corner entry speed. After you have become more used to the higher corner entry speed, go back to full straight-line speed. Try then to brake with less force so that you can get back to the same corner entry speed you were using when you you came in with less straightaway speed.
i like this idea...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yup!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

I don’t "think" I have a problem controlling the car.. I am comfortable and "think" I do a good job balancing the car on the edge (when I get there)... I just chicken out and underestimate what the car is capable of.. As soon as I turn in, its glued to the ground, very little slip, and I’m kicking myself.

Great advice so far, thank you.. please keep it coming.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

I should also mention, I am gearing up for my first race since almost totaling the car during my rookie race in 08..... I don’t “think” this is in my head but I’m sure its back there somewhere….
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

your not cheating enough. is it only cheating if you get caught.
Sean
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Tim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be the ball

Be the ball....

embedding was disabled.... so

Be the ball

When I used to Ski competitively my coaches always harped on eyes forward, see where you want to go and your body will follow...

Same thing driving...look ahead.... see the path the car should take, unconsciously your car will go... seat time.. etc..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
I should also mention, I am gearing up for my first race since almost totaling the car during my rookie race in 08..... I don’t “think” this is in my head but I’m sure its back there somewhere….
DING DING DING! This is key information, and it is in your head.

Have your coach work on that specific issue!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd not worry too much about the many things you are going to hear about the subject on this forum just a week before you'll have a pro coach working with you. While you will hear lots of good info you very well could go into an info overload on the subject. Just go out there with an open mind and focus on what the coach recommends.

Quick Reply: Testicles… How to grow them?