Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testicles… How to grow them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visual bad habits hold me back as much as anything. Common to fixate attempting to be methodical and repetitive lap after lap. Looking up thru the corner is a simple thing so long as it becomes one of conscious routine.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Jeff, come up to Chin over the 4th of July holiday. I'll be there working w/ VR in my 993 and would be cool to see some data between two similar cars. I'm close to G-class with the exception of full weight and an open diff. I think I have the Moton Motorsports figured out, but we'll see what VR says. Also, I know there's a 2:09 in my car on the full course. Best I could muster last week was a 2:11.6... Looking forward to getting VR in the passenger seat.

Here's a video with the JIC setup and full rubber: http://vimeo.com/9902811

-Paddy
I am looking forward to it as well, P.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
More from the peanut gallery. Some great comments already. First some questions....

What kind of car is it? Is it a heavier car on big sticky DOTS? Or a light car on big sticky slicks? Or what, exactly?

How much experience do you have? How much in DE situations where you had an instructor and/or were highly focused on the craft? Is this what you focus on most of the time in the paddock?

How do you know you are that far off the pace? I believe that as it stands, a specific car has a specific performance potential. This varies even by the nanosecond, but let us say on a specific day at a specific track it has x potential for y laptime. How do you know you are consistently going slower than y? Do you go faster and faster each session, each day on a given weekend or are you truly stuck at z laptime, with z being slower than what you assess as y (fastest possible for your car)?

Do you feel less than expert with all types of braking situations or just some types? If so, what types?

Do you use video in the car? If so do you have something in the camera FOV that allows you to watch and know when the brakes are coming on? In my experience this can be very helpful, and moves you far, far along the benefit curve in terms of data acq. use to identify driver performance improvement opportunities.

Have you taken many rides in your own car or a very similar car as Scott has suggested? Do you feel confident in that situation that the car will slow down or do you have the same types of feelings of... uncertainty as when you drive your own car?

I like the comments on weight transfer, but in some braking situations for some types of corners this may be a lot less valuable

I like the comments on keeping the eyes up, that is kind of a given.

I like Scott's comments about riding with others in your car or very similar cars that are lapping closer to y consistently. And perhaps focusing on the feeling you get as they get "up on the tires." I worked hard with my wife on that in turn 2 at Thunderhill which is an excellent 3rd gear sweeper type of turn for this type of thing. Do you have turns where you can particularly focus on this type of passenger seat-of-the pants deal?

I like the comments on is it the car or the driver, that is whether your car is reasonably well set up or if it has an unusual problem on turn in, corner entry, et cetera. I can think of a number of situations with a heavy car or a light car might have a prep/set-up issue that might cause trepidation. And especially a turbocharged car.

I am not sure what they teach in other places. In this thread and others I have heard mention of DE instruction teaching late apexes and braking only in a straight line. I have been at this since 1987 and instructing for a long time as well, and I have never heard of anyone teaching those things to newbies. If it does happen, I am not sure I would agree with the approach... in any case I cannot assume braking only in a straight line is holding you back. Do you think it is?

Great that you will be getting some coaching. I am not a believer that the best coaches are those that race, or used to race. To me racing has nothing to do with teaching people to go faster. One of the best instructors I know does not race. He is an excellent driver and instructor, multi-time CDI, and an excellent teacher.

I started at LRP back in '87 and later came out here to NorCal and started doing DE's where there was a strong time trial culture. Here in the PCA Golden Gate Region. Here I noticed a super high percentage of the attendees had a super high percentage of focus on the craft of going faster. Not a lot of complaining about passing and traffic, or talk about Motons, which brands of sticky tires, is it the car or is it the driver, what type of camera are you running, what type of data acq. do you have, oxygenated fuel adding significant bhp, and all of the more modern stuff. Lots of conversation in the paddock about how to go faster. Just a lot of the folks (men and women) excited to learn to go faster and prep for the Sunday afternoon time trial where everyone would be watching, What I have seen in these more modern times with other groups are folks that get off the learning path really early early in their experience... and they get stuck. Caught up in all of the muck. Off the learning path. I have especially seen this with attendees of events put on by businesses that have a very limited number of qualified instructors available. So great that you will work with someone on going faster... and of course consider doing it for more than just one event.

To me, in the end, no one can tell you how much or when to brake. There are lots of ways to identify opportunities for input changes that can help one use, and more consistently use the car's performance potential x, to achieve, and/or more consistently achieve lap time y or darn near close to it.

I always start with the same approach for myself and my students... instead of braking focus, I like to focus on exit speed. The concept of losing just enough speed, and no more, to achieve optimal exit speed. And by that the earliest possible achievement of WOT, or in cases between corners (puzzle pieces) whatever percentage of throttle opening is the most I can get at the soonest time. I got this from the Skip Barber video back in 1987 before my first ever driving event in my 944 at LRP. He says something like... you can reduce laptimes by hundredths by braking later, you can achieve reductions of tenths by getting to the gas sooner. As a result, I never suggest to a student to brake later or less hard. Instead I suggest considering losing less speed to achieve what we both agree (and comfortably agree) is an improvement on the achievement of WOT. Subtle difference that seems to work with many of my students. In my car I have a green light that is connected to a microswitch on the throttle body so I can see when WOT happens in the video. If I want I can break this down to a video frame. And of course I have the old school light in the FOV that comes on with the brakes.

Good luck and please let us know how things go with your coaching session(s).
The car is the one in my avatar 3171lb 993 PCA G stock...

The driver: Got hooked on the DE thing in 03, been a PCA national instructor since the program first started (05, 06??).. First professional coach was/is a top GA pro (riding with him was eye opening).. Decided to jump to Racing in 08, sold my DE car and built this one from ground up.... On the final race of my rookie weekend, I got caught up in a messy restart and managed to find some armco and an innocent 944 (im just sick about the 944)... I’ve done a few events (5-6) since the race but am having trouble finding my mojo….

As to pace, I am comparing my times to qualifying and race times of the leaders then adding 1 or 2 seconds..…. I don’t expect to win, just be able to keep pace with them while I work on dealing with traffic, race craft, etc (the latter I have no experience with).
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
I don't know what the set-up is on your car, but you might consider lowering your spring rates a bit. On coil spring cars I think a lot of guys go too stiff to start out, because that's what the "fast" set-up is. Lowering the spring rates can help the car to not be so twitchy--- more comfortable to find the limit.

Going fast is all about confidence--in your car, your abilities, the track surface, and those around you. Doubting any of those things will slow you down.
You are probably right... I think I choose a little too high 800/1000lb....
Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Data.... get a data acquisition system. It's been growing ***** for years...
My checkbook hates you...

Point well taken.. I’m an engineer by heart, so especially for me, data does force you to think logically about the problem rather than emotionally....
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Jeff, Lots of good advice here, and some that can be taken with a grain of salt.

Any form of sport is a head game, For you I think confidence is the challenge, spending some time with other drivers / coaches in your car is going to be the best medicine.

Big ***** tend to make you over confident and can put you and your car in situations that can and will backfire and cause a reduction in your confidence. You need to rebuild confidence in your ability, slowly, gradually.

Get back to trusting yourself, one corner at a time. Don't dwell on the corner or braking zone you just left, this will flow into the next corner and you won't be ready for it. As soon as you have left that apex, forget about it, worry about it the next lap. Vision is your friend here, keep it up and ahead.

Good luck, and if you decide to start knitting, I will be visiting you with a baseball bat to beat some sense into you.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I should also mention, I am gearing up for my first race since almost totaling the car during my rookie race in 08..... I don’t “think” this is in my head but I’m sure its back there somewhere….
Maybe you need to do some autocrossing. Get the car sideways and do a few spins. Just to feel what it is like. My take is you are a little spooked that you might go flying off the track.

To be fast you have to be dead comfortable with tossing the car in to the corner, feeling the back end start to step out and coutersteer a little, give it a little gas and come out of the corner like nothing happended. Sounds like you are afraid to slide the car around that is cause lower corner speeds.

So practice sliding the car around in place you won't wreck it if you get it wrong. That is where the ***** are made.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Jeff, come up to Chin over the 4th of July holiday. I'll be there working w/ VR in my 993 and would be cool to see some data between two similar cars. I'm close to G-class with the exception of full weight and an open diff. I think I have the Moton Motorsports figured out, but we'll see what VR says. Also, I know there's a 2:09 in my car on the full course. Best I could muster last week was a 2:11.6... Looking forward to getting VR in the passenger seat.

Here's a video with the JIC setup and full rubber: http://vimeo.com/9902811

-Paddy
Holy crap... Chin wants 575 for two days...... Does that come with a happy ending? Maybe that would help me relax and go faster...

I have a big project go-live July 1 -15, so probably best not to be away those weeks anyway... Would love to compare data, and meet you and VR....
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It's quite expensive, but you can easily get four hours on track each day. We'll have to catch up later this year.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 664 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy

..... if you decide to start knitting, I will be visiting you with a baseball bat to beat some sense into you.
You'll never make it here before all of us in Charlotte get to him first!!

Don't you just feel the love Jeff???

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

It's quite expensive, but you can easily get four hours on track each day. We'll have to catch up later this year.
4hrs.. really.. then that is a bargin...

When is your next event after Aug 1?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
Don't you just feel the love
whips and chains = love?.... then yes
Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
In my case, I think you are on to something.... I tend to do one of three things...
Threshold brake starting at right point, but chicken out when it’s time to turn… continue braking and turn too late.
Try to force myself to make the turn-in but again testies shrivel up and I try to brake too hard, get into ABS, and miss turn-in again
Brake earlier, and end up with time to rub-one-out before its time to turn in….

Any ideas???? Or should I just sell the car and take up knitting…
Here is a mental trick for this. The sooner you turn the faster you can go. It has to do with Arc you take. The later you turn the sharper the turn and what happens is you MUST go slower.

Now the issue however comes down to lack of confience that it will work. I learn alot of this at tracks where spinning off was a non-issue. So I could "just try it" and if failed it was no big deal. That was a really fast way to learn how much grip my car could generate. That does not work everywhere, but if you can find a track or corner with lots of run off experiement there. Go off a few times if you must, but you will start to find the real limit.

Bottomline is you are worried about crashing it is very hard to push the limits.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

M758,

You don't have to spin off the track to know you have exceeded the limit. Plus, I don't think that "Go off a few times if you must" is the right attitude.

Scott
Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
M758,

You don't have to spin off the track to know you have exceeded the limit. Plus, I don't think that "Go off a few times if you must" is the right attitude.

Scott
+1

Quick Reply: Testicles… How to grow them?