Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wear driving glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Today we have polarized photochromic lenses that self adjust with changing light conditions as well as blocking out dangerous glare and haze."

From what I've read, most photochromatic lenses depend on UV to adjust the darkness level. But, our windshields filter most of the UV, so the photochromatic aspect of the lens does not work all that well. I love photochromatic lenses for cycling. The Drivewear transition lenses that Tim had mentioned will adjust independent of UV exposure. I haven't seen them, but I'm definitely going to look into them.

I wear Oakley Flak Jacket with the G30 lens...it's an outstanding lens for driving (and cycling).
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Tim
Racer

I have an Aim dash in one of my cars and the polarized Drivewear lenses don't affect my ability to see the dash...

Though I don't look to closely at the dash.. since I have the shift lights and warning thresholds set that If I notice a light that is not a shift light... I better take a close look at the dash...
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The polarized lenses drive me nuts in the bimmer. For some reason everyother instrument was polarized a different direction... You looked like you were dodging bullets with your head bobbing around just to see what's going on...
Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Polarized photochromic

Here is a slow motion shot of the road showing glare through the windshield. Dusk and dawn are really dangerous times especially when passing on two lane blacktop roads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oErqXmQSAE
Originally Posted by wlittleman
Today we have polarized photochromic lenses that self adjust with changing light conditions as well as blocking out dangerous glare and haze.
Wlittleman said something about polarized photochromic lenses. Here is a shot from the drivers seat.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt2cLqTELf0
I wonder why I have never heard of these things. I wear progressive prescription changeable glasses on the road, if I had known, I would have used my insurance to upgrade to smart lenses years ago. Here is a pdf on Drivewear.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't even have the top part of the shot in focus. Advertising and the truth, NOT.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I have a Racepak IQ3 and wonder if anyone has specific experience using polarized lenses with it?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Photochromic face shields

On the racetrack, the Penske team is currently testing non-prescription photochromic face shields, which automatically shifts in changing light conditions to provide drivers comfort and enhanced visual performance.

A Team Penske driver says. "The automatically-adjusting shield literally does the work for my eyes – making it easier for me to concentrate on other aspects of my race."

Penske Racing
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 AM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polarized Arnette's fit in my helmet great, 12 years of Mountain bike racing and I feel naked without them.

Oakely Fuel Cells for paddock scoping!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

hasnnanybody noticed that when you are riding with epically fast (and famous) drivers they don't watch the road as much as the less fast..... a curious phenomenon.

Less than perfect vision is uncommon at the top of F1 - DJ discussed this in one of his books, he also discussed Masten Gregory ( I think) who didi wear spectacles.

Super vision is most important for sight automatons. over 80% of us are/were thought to fall into this category. Sight automatons predominantly react to their environment through what they see. Non-sight automatons develop their other senses at a comparatively early stage of their lives. So kids who sail raceboats, ride ponies, drive go-karts, ski etc. are more likely to have a better sense of feel than the majority.

Dennis Connor famously had a haircut before each regatta, the better to sense any changes in wind strength and direction. During testing at the Nuerburgring, a junior test driver asked if the designated lap schedules would be adjusted as it was so foggy, from the back of the room Sepp Haider piped up - "Why? Have they moved the circuit?"

Tests and observations in the 50s and 60s showed that (F1) race car drivers did not look very far in advance when racing, but did look a long way ahead on the road. More recently anybody who has watched MS would see that this has not changed much.

For me, I tend to prefer a photochromic varilux (from Trapp Optical), unless its very sunny in which case varilux with flip-up tinted covers, this copes with the sudden darkness of alpine tunnels.

Good spectacles are great at reducing stress during long days driving as there is less tendency to screw up the eyes.

I often wear half frames so I can see the instruments/nav screen. Whilst testing some TomTom features, I found that having the TomTom stuck to the screen meant I had to struggle to resolve what was on the display, and this drew my attention away from driving and tilting my chin up to see the device screen through my lenses. In future I'll have to figure out a better way of mounting the display so I can look down through the half frames as normal.

It is important to realise that 'seeing something' before other people is not completely sight dependent, other parts of the nervous system may be processing information faster and conceiving a suitable reaction. After a week at the track most of us drive somewhat differently on the street as we have formed the habit of faster information processing, tet our eyesight has not changed.

R+C

Quick Reply: Do you wear driving glasses?