Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wear driving glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's a name from the past hombre!

Originally Posted by Chaos
Serengetti Drivers. I am definitely faster without corrected lenses than with! Which is not that fast.
Great shades if I recall but they give you a yellowish hue right?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Old girlfriend of mine had her peepers done years ago hombre!

Originally Posted by aj986s
Actually......no.
Doctor asked if she wanted to have each eyeball set for a different distance, one to see far, and the other for "up close" work. Always thought that was interesting.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

I can't wear contacts..

I have two pairs of glasses that will fit inside my helmet and clip on's for sun that I can put on or off in a second. The spare pair was handy three weeks ago when I dropped one. My regular glasses are slightly too large for helmet. I always travel with spares and my correction is very slight (vision getting better with age as all other parts go the other way )

I can read the tach, and other gauges at 58, but when I drove friend's race car with an add on TPMS (little bitty LCD) and he radioed for tire pressures before pitting all I could do was laugh.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I wear polarized sunglasses when it's bright out.
Same here. Non corrected (vision is OK) but polarized.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
FWIW, I'd recommend against wearing contact lenses. Used to when I first started racing. But I encountered a dust cloud situation I had to drive through and ended up struggling to see the rest of the race. Glasses only when on track. Fortunately, I've now had laser correction and don't need distance glasses anymore. Visor or sunglasses only now.

I've worn contacts on the track for 15 years with no problems. If you get something in your eye you're going to have a problem with or without contacts. That's why a full face helmet with the visor down is the way to go, even in a closed cockpit car. I can't stand the way glasses feel inside a helmet, so I always get the highest quality shaded visor I can find, and replace it as soon as it starts to get dinged up.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
I've worn contacts on the track for 15 years with no problems. If you get something in your eye you're going to have a problem with or without contacts. That's why a full face helmet with the visor down is the way to go, even in a closed cockpit car. I can't stand the way glasses feel inside a helmet, so I always get the highest quality shaded visor I can find, and replace it as soon as it starts to get dinged up.
Dust is always a potential issue. But at least without contacts, you can rub your eye to a certain degree, even with your gloved finger and your eyelid closed, and get some tears going to help clear it. Much more difficult to do with contact lenses in place, at least IMHO. But maybe some tracks are less prone to dust, too. In the mid '80, Summit Point was renowned for its dust clouds if a car went off track. Today, too, I guess.....
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
sig_a
Pro

Shield up, one should wear safety-type lenses. I use clear or tinted shooting glasses. 99 cent Chinese "camo style" not too smart.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my Frank Bullitt approved Persols I'm very afraid I'd look like an angeber on the track.

I'm very sensitive to these things...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smith with changeable lenses. Yellow tint in the PacNW grey, and polarized in the summer sun.

We had an impromptu discussion with the tech steward at the track this weekend and he found that over half of our drivers are wearing glasses, including non-corrective like myself. Many in lieu of a shield.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I always wear glasses (uncorrected) on track. My favs are Drivewear lenses. I also like amber lenses when it is overcast.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Same here. Plus I'm so slow I need the better peripheral vision to watch my mirrors
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

+1

btw if I want to win I always go for the reds. After a walk in the paddock with them on, nobody attempts to overtake me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pvz2...layer_embedded
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Persols are awesome and very classic compadre!

Originally Posted by KaiB
With my Frank Bullitt approved Persols I'm very afraid I'd look like an angeber on the track.

I'm very sensitive to these things...
Not pretentious in the least dude. Just leave your Gucci frames at home and grab some Oakleys if your head is small enough Mein Herr.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Randolph Engineering makes the sunglasses the Military uses. They fit well in the helmet, have a Polarized opiton, are durable, and are reasonably priced.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Fortunately I never had issues on-track for several years wearing contacts. Lasiked now but I still wear sunglasses (Maui Jims) if it's remotely sunny. Keeps me cooler since I can flip up the visor and still have eye protection.

Of course, I got quite a few stares in the sunglasses store trying on different frames w/ my helmet on. ;-)

Quick Reply: Do you wear driving glasses?