Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wear driving glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wearing the dark grey lense Ray Ban aviators for 40 years. Now I have prescription lenses in them. They fit in my helmet and do a great job.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An old and trusty choice compadre!

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I've been wearing the dark grey lense Ray Ban aviators for 40 years. Now I have prescription lenses in them. They fit in my helmet and do a great job.
Believe those were developed for our boys in the Army Air Corp during WWII. You should try a good polarized lens such as Maui, Persol, or Oakley and see what 'cha think.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I was told about a line from Tag Heuer and these look pretty interesting.

Kimi Raikkonen even designed a pair!

http://www.tagheuer.com/eyewear/
Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I was told about a line from Tag Heuer and these look pretty interesting.

Kimi Raikkonen even designed a pair!

http://www.tagheuer.com/eyewear/
Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Wrap around prescription Oakleys. No color changes (important for the flags and determination of track conditions). Wrap around helps with limited motion allowed by HANS + HANS seat.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
Believe those were developed for our boys in the Army Air Corp during WWII. You should try a good polarized lens such as Maui, Persol, or Oakley and see what 'cha think.

Ray-Ban sunglasses block more UV than any of the brands you mention (although I still wear Oakley) so I think Land Jet is just fine. This applies to both polarized and not.

As part of a science project we tested 15 plus pair of multiple brands and without exception every one of the Ray-Bans blocked nearly 60% more UV than any of the others (tested in real sun with a proper UV meter).

Most of the glasses tested blocked only about 50% of the UV A/B regardless of what the tag said. Ray-Bans blocked a bit over 80%.

Again, real data is your friend.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I had lasik done about 5 years ago with monovision. My left eye is adjusted for reading, my right eye for distance. I have a set of prescription polarized Oakley's that are set up so I have 20/15 vision in both eyes. I always wear them on the track, rain or shine. The amber tint, and the polarization helps both when it's sunny, and in my favorite condition which is a torrential downpour.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Tim
Racer

I wear Ray-Ban frames with Drivewear prescription lenses.. They are polarized, and photochromic, and will darken sitting inside a car..

One thing that bugs me is that I have Lexan windshields on both my cars, and things get weird when the lexan flexes... Also with the polarizing you can "see" the layers in the safteyglass on other cars...

I may go to non-polarized lenses for track use... and keep the Drivewear™ for off track use..
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default That's some interesting data you've gleaned amigo!

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Ray-Ban sunglasses block more UV than any of the brands you mention (although I still wear Oakley) so I think Land Jet is just fine. This applies to both polarized and not.

As part of a science project we tested 15 plus pair of multiple brands and without exception every one of the Ray-Bans blocked nearly 60% more UV than any of the others (tested in real sun with a proper UV meter).

Most of the glasses tested blocked only about 50% of the UV A/B regardless of what the tag said. Ray-Bans blocked a bit over 80%.

Again, real data is your friend.
My recommendations were for some of the eye wear I enjoy and have had good luck with. Like everyone else here I've worn the RayBan G-15's for many years... yet prefer others.

Whatever works for you amigo.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
acao
Racer

Lasik + polarized shield on the helmet, yellow tint for color fidelity and contrast.
I'd rather not wear glasses inside my helmet. Between the balaclava, chatterbox, and my noggin, there's enough inside that bucket.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 AM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I took my helmet with me last time I picked out frames just to be sure I could make it all work. I'm now in progressives and its nice to not just guess at the gauges anymore. I splurged for the polarized clipons and its been worth every penny.

Imagine... a chick in a helmet... selecting eyewear... not something they see every day
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by dpressley
Imagine... a chick in a helmet...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I'm late to this thread but just wondered if those of you that are using polarized lenses have any problem reading digital dashes.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Yes. If I am driving a car with a digital dash, like a MoTeC, I will wear non-polarized.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by comatb
I'm late to this thread but just wondered if those of you that are using polarized lenses have any problem reading digital dashes.
Rudy Project ImpactX has the best technology IMO for its combination of impact resistance, polarization, and photochromatic sensitivity. The result is a lens that is safer, provides the advantages of polarization, and still allows you to see digital displays.

I also use them for daily driving specifically because they allow me to see GPS, iPhone, etc. w/o having to look over or under them. I also have multiple lenses with various levels of UV blocking to match the conditions.

I use these lenses with the Rydon frame, but they are available in other styles.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Do you wear driving glasses?