Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Thx for all the serious feedback. I'll probably go for the head and shirt setup to ensure I have complete cooling for even the worst conditions.

As for the suggestion of fitness, pretty much stating the obvious, I'm a workout fanatic, weights and cardio and do a lot of training in hot/humid conditions when available.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would we have known that Fuzz?

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
As for the suggestion of fitness, pretty much stating the obvious, I'm a workout fanatic, weights and cardio and do a lot of training in hot/humid conditions when available.
You didn't initially state so dude.

How about not racing when it's really, really hot?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
How well does the cool shirt hoody fit into your helmet? Is there any issue with that at all?
It didn't fit well, I actually cut part of it away as it was hard to put my helmet on. The best thing about it is the cooling to the back of my neck rather than my head. I think VR said the same thing.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
How about not racing when it's really, really hot?

How about shutting the phuque up?

Joe, one other thing: what do you put in your drink bottle in car?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobt993
I see some pretty stupid "trying to be funny posts" on here suggesting conditioning alone is sufficient. Last year at the NJMP Grand Am race a very fit pro driver was pulled over the wall exiting the car when he overheated. During our race, I did not have a cool suit and missed my opportunity to load up a bag of ice. We had Q'd on a wet track so a bunch of us had managed to shuffle in front of some high HP cars and getting to grid on time was paramount. Bad move. I pushed myself to maintain 1st in my class and although I finished that way I bagged the next day race because I was too dehydrated from the race. Don't even suggest conditioning. I run, bike, lift, but 130 deg cockpit temp is not comfortable for any driver without some form of cooling. I have had a coach push me in sports to exhaustion, but that was well beyond anything I had experienced before.
You're correct, I watched a grand-am driver at NJMP get out of the car last year only to collapse two seconds later. I also lent my hoodie cool suit shirt to one of the DP car drivers last year as they had issues cooling down the car.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

A few thoughts;
The 986 shirt is great but the box not so much so use with a regular Coolshirt box.

Use block ice- not cubes.

Hydrated yes. But overly hydrated can be very distracting especially in an enduro. I leaked before I got in then car once then had to again as soon as I gridded. Held it for the next hour though I asked on the radio about, er, options. Couldn't do it to my co-drover.

Ice cold facecloth on the back of neck before during and after.

Whilst concentrating on hydration don't forget to eat something- not too heavy or light and pasta and/or chicken the nite before.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

FWIW there is a pee color chart floating on the web that is a down an dirty way to check your hydration level. Some smart person here I'm sure can find it.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Gotta love the freedom of the Internet which allows Frank Bullit types to share their useless opinions.....
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4

Use block ice- not cubes.
I use those cardboard 1/2 gallon jug that orange juice and milk come in to freeze my own. They last a while transporting to the track in a cooler, then tear the box off and put it in the cool-suit cooler.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
FWIW there is a pee color chart floating on the web that is a down an dirty way to check your hydration level.
Darker yellow is bad; more clear is good.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Bullitt has two "t's" on the end there muchacho!

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Gotta love the freedom of the Internet which allows Frank Bullit types to share their useless opinions.....
My comment regarding "not racing when it's hot", is what is called tongue-in-cheek. You can look it up on The Internets.

Really don't see why such a fit dude such as yourself is having cooling issues at the track. With over 80% of the pack typically running ahead of you... one would think you'd be getting a pretty awesome breeze.

Now THAT is called sarcasm. Also available on The Internets for you to research.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default That's an outstanding idea compadre!

Originally Posted by Van
I use those cardboard 1/2 gallon jug that orange juice and milk come in to freeze my own. They last a while transporting to the track in a cooler, then tear the box off and put it in the cool-suit cooler.

Darker yellow is bad; more clear is good.
Frozen works well for a long day.

You have to drink water like a crazy man. Think you've had enough? Drink some more.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a FAST shirt with the hoodie under my XL Arai helmet. Yeah, it's snug, but I'll put up with a few indentations in my head after the race from the shirt piping to stay cooler in the Cup car with windows in 85+ degree temps. I also have a helmet blower that goes through my FAST cooler. I wish there was a greater amount of airflow in that but the 12v systems reach a peak in the power the fans can generate that is unfortunately still below the tornado force winds I would like to feel...

Patrick Long drives around all year long in his street car with the windows rolled up and the heat on for all the fitness freaks who want to take it to the next level.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a serious issue.
I use a coolshirt and large drink bottle in the car usually filled with gatorade/water. Its barely enough for me. It gets hot in Dubai and I have had several close calls with dehydraton in 1 hour races - last race I ended up in the medical centre on a drip for a couple of hours afterward despite being reasonably fit, loading on fluids for a couple of days before and trying to stay cool before the race. Some guys here leave the A/C in the car despite the weight penalty..just too nasty!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Key point: mixing some sort of electrolyte enhanced sport drink with water. I am not a big fan of Gatorade because I think there are much better ones out there for serious endurance sports. But irrespective of brand names, mixing with water is key.

Also, contrary to what our new #1 Troll, "Frankly Bull****t", claims above, you CAN drink too much water, and it can have a VERY negative effect on performance.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely, too much water alone can flush too much salt/electrolytes out of your system. You can reach a point with dehydration and heat exhaustion where more water just accelerates things getting worse, hopefully you avoid reaching that point because it all gets rather nasty after that

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling Options