Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Driver Cooling Options

I'm seeking advice on what the best options for staying cool during summer races. The Fast and Cool shirt systems seem to have a lot of similarities. I am considering adding the helmet cooling option as well if it's worth it.

I would love to hear what your experiences are on the pro's/con's of both systems.

I used bags of frozen peas last year during 1 of the very hot races and I think it's time to acquire a more uniform cooling system.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Best shirt I've seen and heard the best reviews about is the 986 shirt. Any shirt can be used with any system however you'll need to source adaptors from a supply warehouse that deals in the adaptors.

As for the best system. The people who built their own seem to be the most happy followed by the Cool Shirt/FAST folks. My experience with the 986 system is very limited but it wasn't always working for the team that I was with.

Here's teh DIY setup. I'll probably be building one this route even though I get the other systems at cost.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/how-racin...-ron-earp.html

Last edited by Circuit Motorsports; 05-31-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

IMO helmet cooling is worth it, considering how much of your blood flows through your head every minute.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a cool shirt, then bought a 986 shirt. 986 was a lot better. You have to make sure you buy a size SMALLER than you would in a FAST or Cool Shirt...you want it really tight so the bladder stays connected to your skin. It works great and IMHO, better than the Cool Shirt. You can use the FAST or Cool Shirt cooler, just buy the universal adapters when you buy the shirt. Don't wait for the FR (fire resistant) version of the 986 - it's been at least a year since they said it was coming soon...also, try to find a deal. I think I paid less than the $299 they are showing now, but can't confirm.

http://www.986inc.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

I just installed a helmet cooling system - I run a Stand 21 helmet. It's the Cool Air cooler with a blower - I was told this system was better than the FAST system due to the blower being a better at moving the air with it's plastic fan (spins faster with less rotational resistance).

http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-cool-air-system.html

Anyways...I had to get a helmet cooler because a couple of times I got out of the Cup car and was close to heat exhaustion during longer stints...of course - I never new about the fan switch on the dash - I always thought it was a defroster until I asked my crew chief as to where the vent tube driver's left was supposed to get it's air, because I never feel any. He turned on the switch and I started laughing...oh well. Trust me, the helmet cooler is way better, but you have to run with your visor shut or completely shut (not a bad thing!).

Ricky
Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW the head doesn't lose any more heat than any other part of the body for the surface area it has. It's a myth. What really happens is that the face is more sensitive to temperature changes. You feel it but the real benefit is nothing more than psychological. Not sure if that's a bad thing.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Keeping sweat from running down into my eyes would make the helmet blower very attractive.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Joe, when I saw your title, my first thought was, "What's wrong with the peas???"

My homemade setup (I think I found directions on a miata site) has worked really well - I'm certainly happy with it.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
FWIW the head doesn't lose any more heat than any other part of the body for the surface area it has. It's a myth. What really happens is that the face is more sensitive to temperature changes. You feel it but the real benefit is nothing more than psychological. Not sure if that's a bad thing.
Hmm. OK, I am certainly not a doctor, although I play one with my wife.

I was under the impression that a tremendous amout of blod flows thru the carotids, and cooling the head/neck area is a very effective way of cooling the entire body.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

We've been running a CoolShirt for some time - never been very impressed with it, seems like it's tough to get it to prime sometimes, and only provides moderate cooling level on-track.

The big improvement for my wife was air in the face. We have a spare brake blower (aka bilge vent fan) up on the dash to pull in fresh air; it blows directly at her face. Since she'll never run with the visor down (too claustrophobic), this ends up being more reliable than a forced-air helmet (which I very nearly bought her, till we realized she'd still never close the visor.

She refers to this as her "racecar AC" - and having lots of fresh air blown at her face keeps her face dry and keeps sweat from running in her eyes (which is otherwise a big problem). She doesn't tolerate the heat like I do, and must be well-refrigerated or she wilts like the delicate flower she is.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main thing is staying in tip top shape hombre!

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
I'm seeking advice on what the best options for staying cool during summer races.
That's the starting point. Flab sweats.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a homemade cool shirt system. The cooler is a standard cooler with marine bildge pump. I got the tubing at my local ACE hardware store. Quick disconnects through mcmaster carr and made my own cool shirt. I got 2 thick t-shirs and cut out patch panels from one and used that to sew in the tubing on the shirt.

Works just fine and is hand on the grid. It can get realy hot sitting in the car strapped in waiting for go on track before a race and now I sit in cool confort. At race speeds I don't really notice it other than not getting so hot. Post race I sit in the car and let the cool water do its thing. I still carry a camelback with water in it and take drinks when I feel like it. That helps too.

The other thing that helps is driver fitness. A fit driver can feel better while at elevated heart rates and higher temps. The body is just more efficent. Sure you can still overheat, but a fit driver will last a lot longer and be able to maintain focus better.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There you go... and I'd say that's #1 dude!

Originally Posted by M758
The other thing that helps is driver fitness. A fit driver can feel better while at elevated heart rates and higher temps. The body is just more efficient. Sure you can still overheat, but a fit driver will last a lot longer and be able to maintain focus better.
Pretty simple really.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
I had a cool shirt, then bought a 986 shirt. 986 was a lot better. You have to make sure you buy a size SMALLER than you would in a FAST or Cool Shirt...you want it really tight so the bladder stays connected to your skin. It works great and IMHO, better than the Cool Shirt. You can use the FAST or Cool Shirt cooler, just buy the universal adapters when you buy the shirt. Don't wait for the FR (fire resistant) version of the 986 - it's been at least a year since they said it was coming soon...also, try to find a deal. I think I paid less than the $299 they are showing now, but can't confirm.

http://www.986inc.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

I just installed a helmet cooling system - I run a Stand 21 helmet. It's the Cool Air cooler with a blower - I was told this system was better than the FAST system due to the blower being a better at moving the air with it's plastic fan (spins faster with less rotational resistance).

http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-cool-air-system.html

Anyways...I had to get a helmet cooler because a couple of times I got out of the Cup car and was close to heat exhaustion during longer stints...of course - I never new about the fan switch on the dash - I always thought it was a defroster until I asked my crew chief as to where the vent tube driver's left was supposed to get it's air, because I never feel any. He turned on the switch and I started laughing...oh well. Trust me, the helmet cooler is way better, but you have to run with your visor shut or completely shut (not a bad thing!).

Ricky
I had a 986 shirt and box and it was okay, didn't exactly do what I wanted, but it was also a extremely hot day. I ended up back with my cool shirt with hoody. The other option is to lower the internal temp of the cockput of the car. As for being fit, I can vouch that being unfit which I am really kills you on a hot day.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Another thing I started doing a couple of years back is working out in full sweats to get my body used to dealing with the heat...just make sure you drink plenty of water before, during, and after!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Joe, give Stable Energies a call and chat with Laurette. She will steer you in the right direction. Pretty funny having dudes comment on fitness to you. No **** Sherlock.

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling Options