Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that a tremendous amout of blod flows thru the carotids, and cooling the head/neck area is a very effective way of cooling the entire body.
This is true, but its the neck not the head.

Your best option would be to put the peas on your neck then thrown on a scarf. It'll act like an oil cooler for your brain

or do what Bear Grylls does and **** on your shirt then throw it around your neck. Probably get some get some odd looks but at least you'll be cool
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
I had a 986 shirt and box and it was okay, didn't exactly do what I wanted, but it was also a extremely hot day. I ended up back with my cool shirt with hoody. The other option is to lower the internal temp of the cockput of the car. As for being fit, I can vouch that being unfit which I am really kills you on a hot day.
How well does the cool shirt hoody fit into your helmet? Is there any issue with that at all?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ubercooper
...or do what Bear Grylls does and **** on your shirt then throw it around your neck. Probably get some get some odd looks but at least you'll be cool
Cool... and yet, very Not Cool...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
How well does the cool shirt hoody fit into your helmet? Is there any issue with that at all?
+964
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One starts from the "Inner Core" muchachos!

Bear Grylls does and **** on your shirt...
By using advanced yoga techniques, one can reduce their core temperature by almost 10 degrees, before each and every race. This should last for almost 3 hours if done properly.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see some pretty stupid "trying to be funny posts" on here suggesting conditioning alone is sufficient. Last year at the NJMP Grand Am race a very fit pro driver was pulled over the wall exiting the car when he overheated. During our race, I did not have a cool suit and missed my opportunity to load up a bag of ice. We had Q'd on a wet track so a bunch of us had managed to shuffle in front of some high HP cars and getting to grid on time was paramount. Bad move. I pushed myself to maintain 1st in my class and although I finished that way I bagged the next day race because I was too dehydrated from the race. Don't even suggest conditioning. I run, bike, lift, but 130 deg cockpit temp is not comfortable for any driver without some form of cooling. I have had a coach push me in sports to exhaustion, but that was well beyond anything I had experienced before.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

This is true, but its the neck not the head.

Your best option would be to put the peas on your neck then thrown on a scarf. It'll act like an oil cooler for your brain

or do what Bear Grylls does and **** on your shirt then throw it around your neck. Probably get some get some odd looks but at least you'll be cool
Well....I see your point. Without getting too far into the weeds, since this blood flows THROUGH the neck INTo the head, would cooling the head not be highly effective??

As for your golden shower idea....what you do in the privacy of the paddock is yoru business.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

conditioning alone will not solve issues at extreme temps, but conditioning and climitization is big deal. It should not be overlooked. I live in dry climate and never suffer dehydration. The reason is two fold. 1) I am familier with dryness here and it feels normal. However they is covering up the real reason 2). I drink lots of water... Lots of water and expect to. In most races drink about 1 liter of water before, during or after the race. I drink probably a gallon a day during warmers days. I start hydrating early and keep it flowing. During a race sip of water is big help to regain focus. For years I never ran with a cool suit and did fine. I later added on and it is a help, but I only use it when racing. Practice or qualfying I don't run it as if I get overheated I can always pull in. Even so I can tell when I am not fit in the car. My breathing is harder and feel more exhausted sooner. Cool shirt helps offset that some, but cannot correct it either.

Then again there are some conditions where is just very very hot and key is to pace yourself to keep on track and keep the car at high level of performance.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Believe everyone's humorous anecdotes were only a preamble amigo!

Originally Posted by bobt993
I see some pretty stupid "trying to be funny posts" on here suggesting conditioning alone is sufficient...
Obviously you have to drink the water like crazy... but being fit is THE best place to start no?

Recall being at that hotter than Hell 1984 Dallas Grand Prix. This was in July. The pit crews were stuffing those cockpits full of dry ice in a vain attempt to cool 'em down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyq4lTvJNE

Believe that the new Austin GP will be held in the Texas summer.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The 1984 F1 race in Dallas was NOT in July, genius. I was there, working. It was early June. But it was still 107 degrees.

And what you "believe" regarding the Austin F1 race is, as usual, going to be contradicted by the facts.

BobT....spot on as usual.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default This is why Texas is in trouble amigos!

Transplantos from God only knows where... with their misinformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Dallas_Grand_Prix

Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The East coast heat spells make the humidity a problem. Hydration is a start, but you cannot fight back 98deg heat 90% humidity with a bottle of sport drink and a gallon of water. The OP is asking a good question and I believe he was also at that NJMP race and knows a cool suit would have made a big difference. A month later I raced at Summit Pt and a bag of ice was my friend for a similar heat spell. Phil from "Phil's Tires" stuffed what was felt like a 5lb bag of ice into my suit. I would not have cared if that race ran another 40mins. Most effective improvised cooling is crushed ice inside two zip locks centered in the chest area directly on the skin. I now have a cool suit. I think acclimating to those conditions is almost more dangerous. Your able to push yourself way too far. This past Monday we did a fast pace bike ride through a bunch of elevation changes and it was 3hrs during a peak 93 deg/humid day. The heat was no problem at all. Car temps over 120 are.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed Conditioning might be not enough, but it is what makes the most difference (being used to heat exchange from intense cardio workouts and lower fat/weight which makes your body more efficient in releasing heat) .
Cool shirts work great and the 986 is the best; sometimes maybe too MUCH!, as I had made the mistake of dialing it too far too soon and freezing for a few minutes.

Obviously, I dehydrate a lot less with the cool shirt, but with proper hydration through the race you could survive a Florida Enduro without one (in a normal race car) and just end up with a very nasty-wet racesuit.

Nevertheless, I feel that where I need the most help is the head. The body has enough surface are to "breath" and release heat through the suit, and even with a cool shirt your head is almost 90% covered with the helmet as a non breathable surface. The comfort of not having those drips of sweat in your face during a race will be priceless. That's why Im trying forced air AC in the other race car.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
Transplantos from God only knows where... with their misinformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Dallas_Grand_Prix

Jump higher, girlfriend.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Buy a fancy helmet mit der A/C amigo!

Originally Posted by cgomez
Nevertheless, I feel that where I need the most help is the head.
Could be worth it as it's all for fun.

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling Options