Sponsored by:

Racepak data-logging opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racepak data-logging opinions needed

Trying to decide which direction to go with the instrumentation on the Boxster. I think I've settled on Racepak for the dash display (mostly because I like their product and the V-net cable system is awesome), but my question is in regards to data-logging. The IQ3 comes as either a dash display ONLY, or as a display with their data-logging built in. So my question is... does anybody have experience with the Racepak software and analyzing system and is it any good compared to say the Traqmate system. One immediate advantage I see with using the Racepak data-logging system is that the predictive lap timing would automatically be displayed in the same dash display which would eliminate the need for another Traqmate display to serve the same purpose. On the flip side, NASA is using Traqmate for compliance testing so it would be nice to have the system on-board already. Also, it seems like a lot of people are already using Traqmate which means there is potentially more local tech support available compared to the Racepak system, but I could be wrong. It seems like either route is similarly priced once you add everything up.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,069 Likes on 1,795 Posts

While the IQ3 dash is an elegant and effective solution, I find MoTeC i2, AiM RaceStudio 2, Racelogic's Circuit Tools software easier to use and Traqmate's Traqview the easiest, bar none.

While Larry Herman and a few others have a good handle in RacePak's RaceLink II, I'm struggling mightily and I reviewed over thirty sessions today between five drivers using
two other systems.

Maybe it's me, but I get many more folks coming from RacePak to other solutions (usually Traqmate and AiM for data, Video VBOX and Race-Keeper for data/video) than vice versa.

The installed base of Traqmate users and the ease of overlay really is a plus, too.

Race Technologies dash solutions are nice, but I've found V7, their interpretation software nearly as cumbersome as RaceLink II.

You wanted opinions. That's mine.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

So to summarize, you like the Racepak as a dash, but not their logging software?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,069 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Yep.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

To add to what Peter said, the Racepak software is extremely capable, and has tremendous depth of capabilities, especially if you use actual vehicle sensors (brake prssure, throttle position, steering angle, etc.) in addition to the GPS and inertial data. It (the software) is somewhat cumbersome to use, however, and is not the most user friendly thing out there. The integration with an excellent dash is a big plus IMO, whereas TraqMate and RaceKeeper (whose software is really easy to use) is not quite there yet in the dash department. So I guess you have to decide whether you are willing to train yourself on the software (if I can use Racepak software, ANYONE can...) in order to have data integrated with a superb dash display.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Racepak software is very layered and full of open formatting. I think once learned properly, it is very easy to process. I have been working with Traqmate and AIM recently and find their software more cumbersome. Why? Simple, they each have their own process to follow and it would be no different learning French then Japanese. Which ever program/software you start with will be the one you are most comfortable with.

The IQ3 is a standalone data system with 3 accelerometers on boards for leveling the x/y axis. You have extended sensor inputs in comparison to the G2X (redbox), but not the pro platform of analog channels available on their pro model where the dash only unit is available. The key on Racepak is setup of your car config file. If you set up the config properly and create the relevant math channels you will find it removes a ton useless information. One issue that is unique to Racepak is they are "in house" built in California under one roof. Software and electronics technicians live under one roof so you have good resources. No matter what system you decide on make sure you have support to use it properly otherwise it is a laptimer with a display.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm really struggling with the set up but part of it is relearning PC/MS.
Its weird.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the racepak system and software. it was a little cumbersome to figure out the first few times around, but once you "get it" it is really simple and intuitive. the predicitve lap times and the projected fast lap comparisons are interesting for analysis both on and off the track.

The lap comparisions are very cool if you can get a really fast lap or use a predicted fast lap and run real time comparisons. by moving the cursor over the track you can see not only the speed, rpm, accel, braking and lateral G's of both laps, but also from GPS where you were relative to position on the track. Its great for analyzing a particular sector or seeing where you are loosing time.

The automatic sector generation is an easy entre to get you up and going quickly. I find it a very flexible system, you can use it as simply or as complicated as you want. Not so with others.

I'm still figuring out the AIM system, I find the racepak easier, but we will see...
Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by J richard
I like the racepak system and software. it was a little cumbersome to figure out the first few times around, but once you "get it" it is really simple and intuitive. the predicitve lap times and the projected fast lap comparisons are interesting for analysis both on and off the track.

The lap comparisions are very cool if you can get a really fast lap or use a predicted fast lap and run real time comparisons. by moving the cursor over the track you can see not only the speed, rpm, accel, braking and lateral G's of both laps, but also from GPS where you were relative to position on the track. Its great for analyzing a particular sector or seeing where you are loosing time.

The automatic sector generation is an easy entre to get you up and going quickly. I find it a very flexible system, you can use it as simply or as complicated as you want. Not so with others.

I'm still figuring out the AIM system, I find the racepak easier, but we will see...
Thanks for weighing in here. It's nice to know there is someone local in NASA that could help me with the system if I need it.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i just put the IQ3 in and it takes about 1 track day to figure out the software and then it's very straight forward
Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I would find out what most of the people at the track events are using and go that route. I am using AIM and I am satisfied with it but I am about the only one at the events I go to that uses it. So I am on a solo learning curve, althoguh I do find it fairly easy to use once I got into it.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard

This is what Bob and I have found, and also the quick integration of video is why we selected Racepak for our data coaching. I can take the data and video from the car and in under 5 minutes have a sync'd package ready for analysis.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I ordered the IQ3 WITH logging. Now all I need is for them to release their OBDII interface... I've got a few more months before I'll absolutely need it.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I ordered the IQ3 WITH logging. Now all I need is for them to release their OBDII interface... I've got a few more months before I'll absolutely need it.
They are releasing the OBDII next week. Limited run of a 100 units it appears. We will be providing a bunch for rental initially when we are at the track.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobt993
They are releasing the OBDII next week. Limited run of a 100 units it appears. We will be providing a bunch for rental initially when we are at the track.
As in they are only going to release 100 total ever, or they are only releasing 100 at first followed by more shortly after?

Quick Reply: Racepak data-logging opinions needed