Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Spanish Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011 | 07:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Larry you are the one cluless , the cars are equal based on what ? Vettel's lack of speed ...?

Hamilton and or Alonso in an RB would be in a different time zone , they would not be finishing tenths behind Vettel in a Mclaren .... Get it ?
No, no I don't get what you espouse. Offer proof, not bluster. Prove what I put forth is wrong. Take it apart, line by line. Go ahead.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-22-2011 | 08:21 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Interesting race. Vettel gets the drive of the race. LH was able to use the DRS and the KERS throughout the entire race. On the other hand, the RBs, particularly Vettel had very little KERS throughout the race. As Larry said, KERS and DRS together were worth 6-8 car lenghts on the front straight. Add the distance to Vettels winning margin and the race is not close.

What I don`t like is from 5th on all cars are at least 1 lap down, some, I think, 4 laps down. FA did a great first stint. So did Webber, then they both dissappeared. The Mercedes were consistant throughout, though a distant 6th and 7th, one lap down. To me, this aspect negates the pluses created from the tires.

Honorable mention goes to Nick Heidfeld. Last to 8th. Pulling a Kobiashi.
Old 05-22-2011 | 08:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Wayne, it is you who is clueless here, or blinded by your dislike of Vettel. Funny how intolerant you are when that dislike applies to Alonso.

Anyway my friend, let's get a little accuracy here. Yes Red Bull was light years ahead on sticker tires and empty tanks, but that is not what F1 is about anymore. McLaren, and to a lesser extend Ferrari (with Alonso behind the wheel) have competitive pace on full tanks. That was apparent over the first 3 stints. Once the switch was made to the prime tires, Ferrari was done. That left Vettel and a very racy Hamilton to duke it out. It seems like on the harder tires with lighter fuel loads, McLaren is as fast as Red Bull, and that has been proven over the last 3 races.

Vettel obviously ran his tires off early in his last stint again, and the intermittent KERS did not help. Still, he managed to hold off Hamilton and did a masterful job of being fast where he had to, through the final complex and onto the straight. Did you see how many car lengths Hamilton pulled in on Vettel down that straight? Had to be at least 6~8. So roll your eyes, drink your beer and eat your corn, but it won't change the fact that Vettel drove a great race today.
+1 but don't hold your breath waiting Wayne to get it...

FYI, when Ferrari & Alonso are fast, it's because Alonso is good, when Ferrari & Alonso are slow, it's because Ferrari is bad.
Old 05-22-2011 | 08:35 PM
wilhelm
Advanced

Still clueless C2,

Faux1 is driving a car that's 1 second a lap faster than his nearest rival , he finished tenths ahead of Hamilton ..

Fastest lap Hammy, both McLarens finished ahead of webber. Yep pretty obvious the RB is 1 sec faster than anyone else. If Vettel is as bad as you say then Webber must be horrible to come behind both McLarens.

Good old Wayne anti-logic
Old 05-22-2011 | 09:21 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

So which is it .............. Cognitive Dissonance or Myopia
Actually neither. This has nothing to do with sight, and cognitive dissonance is "an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously". There's nothing conflicting about my observation. Alonso had a fantastic start, followed by an average race. Alonso himself recognized his (and his ride's) limitations immediately after the race:

"We lack aerodynamic downforce, here we did not have a wing that suited this track. We must analize carefully the behaviour of all the modifications we brought to this Grand Prix and understand why, in the space of two weeks, we have lost ground to Red Bull and McLaren."

I guess he must not know what he's talking about, right?
It is your infatuation with Alonso that precludes you from being objective.
Old 05-22-2011 | 09:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

so stay tuned , the game is easy if you pay attn the season is more than 5 races ...

Are you predicting a Ferrari comeback later this year? If so what kind of finish by Fernando are you predicting?
Old 05-22-2011 | 09:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Could it be that he didn't record a lap in Q3?.... because his KERS was not working? Always better to have the facts before one speaks.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...cher-strategy/
Yes, saw that. Bummer uh? Always something. Hopefully they get him a good car soon and he can show us what he's really got.
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by wilhelm
Fastest lap Hammy, both McLarens finished ahead of webber. Yep pretty obvious the RB is 1 sec faster than anyone else. If Vettel is as bad as you say then Webber must be horrible to come behind both McLarens.

Good old Wayne anti-logic
Vettel isn't bad at all, but he still qualified almost a second faster than Lewis WITHOUT KERS. Webber still has a lesser car IMO.

That second in qualifying can't be ignored. Fastest lap of the race means next to nothing when everyone is preserving tires and still driving 5-6 seconds slower than pole times.

Barichello had the second fastest lap and Heidfeld the third. By only a tenth off Hamilton. That means what exactly? Nothing more than that Hamilton was doing LESS to conserve tires for a lap.

I hate this tire crap, but it's the only thing keeping the Red Bulls from obliterating (instead of just dominating) the field. Plus no one knows how much they still have in hand. Lewis won in China on strategy.
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
How is it that Rosberg always find that something extra over his more experienced teammate?
Schumacher started 10th. Finished 6th.

Rosberg started 7th. Finished 7th.

give the old man credit when due....
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Semantics ......

Rosberg is pegging Faux7 like a 2 dollar pichara, a pity Mercedes waisted good money on him they should have gone for his faster but hapless ex-teammate Barichelllo .

What a waste .............................................
Schumacher 6th.

Barrichello 17th.
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agdamis
WTF happened to Fernando???
Mrs. Alonso was lapped.

Called coming from ahead to tanking...
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbossolo
So much for the "with his salary and with the vig paid , the real show starts now..." BS.
I must admit, his start was spectacular. The rest was typical of Ferrari this year.
Your wasting your keystrokes with Wayne. Oliver A. Wayne Stone is always looking in the grassy knoll for the boogie man. Didn't A. Whine predict the end of the world yesterday? Oh, that's right, it'll come.

I told y'all, Wayne is a joke. Don't listen to him.
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still clueless C2,

Faux1 is driving a car that's 1 second a lap faster than his nearest rival , he finished tenths ahead of Hamilton ..

GET IT ........................................................................

So which is it .............. Cognitive Dissonance or Myopia ......

Ferrari paid the vig , they will be allowed to compete and win , not like last year when they had to play the game and let Vettel win , so stay tuned , the game is easy if you pay attn the season is more than 5 races ...

Pathetic logic.

Vettel grew up a little more today holding off Hamilton in a car that was wounded against a car with full KERS DRS and fresher tires.

Oh well. As I said, Fernie is out of it 118 points to 51. Let's see him catch up. First he must unlap himself.
Old 05-22-2011 | 10:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

FYI, when Ferrari & Alonso are fast, it's because Alonso is good, when Ferrari & Alonso are slow, it's because Ferrari is bad.
I told everyone that Alonso and Ferrari was out of it after the 3rd race of the year. No one believed me.

Vettel 118 points
Alonso 51 points

Any questions?

Finn,

Didn't I say in 2010 that Alonso was on the downside of his career? The evidence was his multiple mistakes which WDC do not make.

Vettel and Hamilton are head and shoulders above Faux 2. I would love to see Alonso and Hamilton in the same team again. If he couldn't beat Hamilton as a rookie, what makes you think Hamilton has gotten any worse 4 years latter?

Hamilton would mop the floor with Alonso. Not even close. Good Night. Alonso will be but a footnote in F1 history.
Old 05-22-2011 | 11:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

No, as per you, when Alonso wins, its because Ferrari is fast, if Ferrari doesn't win, its Alonso's fault. I hope you put his teammate up to the same expectations.

Quick Reply: 2011 Spanish Grand Prix