Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA 964 stock class wheel/tire sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Been slammed at work and just getting back to this. I emailed Keith V who is the PCA RSA guru and runs rsamerica.net and he confirmed that 9” wheels were not an option on the RSA.

To expand on what Dan posted, Walt said he will look into it further but believes this is the case for RSAs and C2s/C4s, that only 7s and 8s were the max available as options for RSAs, C2s and C4s, so 8s and 9s are the max for them in stock class. It appears Bills chart (and post) is correct. If Walt comes back with any different info I will post here.

This is the rule but April 1 - June 1 is the Period for submission of proposed rules changes. crrules@pca.org

I’m going to submit that any size wheel that fits (meaning that the top of the tire does not stick out of the fenders) without sheet metal modification should be legal in stock class. This will help them with not having to figure out what wheels were options on different models and then (actually) enforcing the rule. I’d like to go up to 9s and 10s when the budget allows and run wider tires, at least rear tires, if this is passed.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Been slammed at work and just getting back to this. I emailed Keith V who is the PCA RSA guru and runs rsamerica.net and he confirmed that 9” wheels were not an option on the RSA.

To expand on what Dan posted, Walt said he will look into it further but believes this is the case for RSAs and C2s/C4s, that only 7s and 8s were the max available as options for RSAs, C2s and C4s, so 8s and 9s are the max for them in stock class. It appears Bills chart (and post) is correct. If Walt comes back with any different info I will post here.

This is the rule but April 1 - June 1 is the Period for submission of proposed rules changes. crrules@pca.org

I’m going to submit that any size wheel that fits (meaning that the top of the tire does not stick out of the fenders) without sheet metal modification should be legal in stock class. This will help them with not having to figure out what wheels were options on different models and then (actually) enforcing the rule. I’d like to go up to 9s and 10s when the budget allows and run wider tires, at least rear tires, if this is passed.
Ok, then what bump do you give to the prepared class as they can flare their fenders to fit up to 2" wider wheels?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Whatever wheel and tire they can fit in their flared fenders w/o the top of the tire sticking out.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Whatever wheel and tire they can fit in their flared fenders w/o the top of the tire sticking out.
I like it, but that would really shift the balance way over to the prepared cars.

I think that this guy would have just a little more grip than the current prepared rules allow.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Oh the humanity...........If this gets ok'd.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I like it, but that would really shift the balance way over to the prepared cars.

I think that this guy would have just a little more grip than the current prepared rules allow.

Ha, well I think the trick is using factory parts, from the rulebook for prepared:

C. Fender flaring is allowed using factory material

I don't know but would assume that would be showroom car fenders (dealership sold 911 turbos), not aftermarket or GT2/ RSR parts in Prepared. More tire = more drag also so althlough the lap times might come down so will the top speed if a dramatic increase in tire width and most passing is done at the end of the straights (under braking but the higher speed will have the advantage there me thinks). I guess there is a balance and that sounds like an expensive experiment....although I'm sure Bob T could shed some light on tire width vs. lap time vs. top speed in racing, even though he is GT /GTS.

Quick Reply: PCA 964 stock class wheel/tire sizes?