Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts
Default Gloves Off in Austin?

Looks like things are heating up in Austin (and it's not even summer yet):

Texas Taxpayers Finance Formula One Auto Races as Schools Dismiss Teachers

By Darrell Preston and Aaron Kuriloff - May 11, 2011 11:06 AM ET Tweet More
Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email .(Corrects number of teachers in fourth paragraph and attribution for $4 million in 30th.)

Texas, which may balance its budget by firing thousands of teachers, plans to commit $25 million in state funds to Formula One auto racing each year for a decade.

Four years after motorsports’ most popular series left the U.S., Texas investors including Clear Channel Communications Inc. co-founder B.J. “Red” McCombs are building a 3.4-mile (5.5-kilometer) track to bring the event to Austin. Comptroller Susan Combs has agreed to pay $25 million for races through 2022, a subsidy questioned by critics and lawmakers as the state cuts costs to close an estimated $15 billion two-year deficit.

“I don’t understand why 25 people in Austin could not put up $1 million each if they thought this was a good opportunity instead of the state making a $25 million commitment,” said Senator Dan Patrick, a Houston Republican. “The developers should find the money through private sources.”

As many as 100,000 teachers in Texas may be fired because of spending cuts to cope with the state’s budget crisis, according to Moak Casey & Associates, an Austin-based education consultant. For $25 million a year, the state could pay more than 500 teachers an average salary of $48,000.

“I have to wonder why the state of Texas is all over funding for this racetrack and not the school-funding crisis,” said Ewa Siwak, 44, who teaches German in the Austin Independent School District and whose job at Bowie High School is being cut. “Tax dollars for education should be a higher priority.”

Click link to read the rest of the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-teachers.html
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Not really much different than a school district eliminating science, art, and band while the football team gets a new scoreboard, uniforms, and sometimes a complete stadium.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Except that this event is going to bring in revenue to the area....
Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No issues at all if McCombs & Suavo would have kept this thang 100% private!

Originally Posted by Nizer
Looks like things are heating up in Austin (and it's not even summer yet. ):

“I don’t understand why 25 people in Austin could not put up $1 million each if they thought this was a good opportunity instead of the state making a $25 million commitment,” said Senator Dan Patrick, a Houston Republican. “The developers should find the money through private sources.”
Funny as all Hell. This track will NOT be completed in time for that 2012 schedule by the way.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default For how long muchacho?

Originally Posted by gums
Looky at what happened @ Indianapolis.

Sneak photo of the starting grid... Austin GP - Summer of 2012

Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Exactly
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

From what I understood the subsidy is funded by sales taxes generated by on-track activity (concessions, track rentals, etc., etc.)
So in theory that revenue would not be there without the track.

Will the track generate enough sales tax? I have no idea.

And please don't compare Austin to Indianapolis. Indianapolis is only know for the Indy 500. Austin has plenty of other things going for it. If the F1 thing never happens it would be just fine.
It may not be Montreal in terms of fun (I haven't researched the stripper/spectator ratio to say definitively) but should be a good party.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey "Frank" have you even been to Austin at all? Cause I've been to both San Fran and Austin, on multiple ocassions, and the latter is a far more entertaining (and prettier) city. Just saying.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 904 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Hey "Frank" have you even been to Austin at all? Cause I've been to both San Fran and Austin, on multiple ocassions, and the latter is a far more entertaining (and prettier) city. Just saying.
Let's not go overboard here. Depending on what you like to do, Austin may be more fun. But there is no way in hell that Austin is a better looking city than San Francisco!

Scott
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they follow the recent Nurburgring and NüroDisney business model, then it should get built just fine..........
Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why you're asking me, but I can tell you that SF is one of my favorite cities, been there many times, never been to Austin, but if it's anything like San Antonio; yuk!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default You're from South Texas is that not correct amigo?

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Anything that isn't built out of adobe and clapboard + tin looks good to you.

Visually you like the looks of Austin over San Francisco?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default That ol' dude down on the border is simply proud of everything Texan is all compadre!

Originally Posted by winders
Let's not go overboard here. Depending on what you like to do, Austin may be more fun. But there is no way in hell that Austin is a better looking city than San Francisco!

Scott
For some this makes Texans the pain in the jazzholes many already feel about them. Most are good folk however.

Will say that Austin, Texas is not rolling in quality poontaang over the 25-year-old mark. 90% of the hotties on the streets are college-aged gals. Austin actually has a very small Junior Acheiver group of single professional girls for a city it's size. Compare that to San Francisco where there are women all over the damn place AND... they use complete sentences.

My observation and field research.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,029 Posts

This from a guy that likes "sturdy" Indiana women?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Frank Bullit, are you sure that they are women, or are they SF women? amigo

Quick Reply: Gloves Off in Austin?