Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gloves Off in Austin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First of all I'd dispense with a name that has the word "circuit" in it's makeup!

Originally Posted by Pete
Tell us Frankie Lin, what would YOU name the track... hombre
Why? Because it sounds pretentious and needs to stay over yonder in Europa where names like that belong. This is TEXAS for God's sakes. Down to earth and God fearing. Keep it simple without going all The Retaard.

Austin Motor Speedway

Want to make it more rustic? Toss some local color on top and slow cook till moist and tender... just like an awesome brisket.

Balcones Fault Raceway

Travis

Pow. Pop. You want a Circuit of the Americas? Just drive around the 410 in San Antonio any day of the week.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
JClark
Instructor

You guys will find a way to bitch about anything.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
You sound like a fella with a thang for trannies.... not that there's anything wrong with that. How do I know? You keep posting up your favorite photos of these "girls".

I am just showing what you like, being from *** Hill and all.

It is clear you hate the idea of a Grand Prix in Texas so please go back under the bridge.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Why is this bull**** masquerading as a discussion about a racetrack not pushed off to the OT forum? Crap like this self flagellation is really knocking this forum down (and with THIS group that's really saying something...)
Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Loosen your bullets Zonie... just the muchachos having some fun for God's sakes!

Originally Posted by J richard
Why is this bull**** masquerading as a discussion about a racetrack not pushed off to the OT forum? Crap like this self flagellation is really knocking this forum down (and with THIS group that's really saying something...)
So dearest Professor... more teachers to instruct little Texans on how to buy up prime Arizona real estate in the future, or a $280,000,000 racetrack catering to the niche of a niche?

Serve it up amigo!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

Corporate welfare almost never works because it is based on flawed and biased justification. As a former elected public official (village board) I agreed with helping out new ventures for a few years at most when the public funding could make the difference between success and failure and there were quality of life issues, for example improving roads helped in bringing a new grocery store into an area that did not have one.
Sports arenas are a great example of the failure of optomistic projections to bear out the justification for tax breaks, added investment in roads, and investments. Most of these just foster redistribution of wealth (or theft) from the middle class to wealthy investors. Read "Public Funding of Sports Arenas" by the University of Utah for detailed support.

As much as I want F1 in the US, building a new track is a waste of public money. If a few wealthy people want to fund this then fine. I just see this as the people of Texas being fooled again.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Well said Tedster!

Originally Posted by Tedster
As much as I want F1 in the US, building a new track is a waste of public money. If a few wealthy people want to fund this then fine.

I just see this as the people of Texas being fooled again.
So very spot on it hurts compadre. Suavo Hellmund and McCombs should just come to Jesus and write a few more checks. It's their rice bowl after all.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by JClark
You guys will find a way to bitch about anything.
Sofa king true.

J Richard is correct:

THIS THREAD NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO OT PLEASE, ADMINS.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Just read most of that report you mentioned regarding public funding for such events!

Corporate welfare almost never works because it is based on flawed and biased justification. As a former elected public official (village board) I agreed with helping out new ventures for a few years at most when the public funding could make the difference between success and failure and there were quality of life issues, for example improving roads helped in bringing a new grocery store into an area that did not have one.
Sports arenas are a great example of the failure of optomistic projections to bear out the justification for tax breaks, added investment in roads, and investments. Most of these just foster redistribution of wealth (or theft) from the middle class to wealthy investors. Read "Public Funding of Sports Arenas" by the University of Utah for detailed support.

As much as I want F1 in the US, building a new track is a waste of public money. If a few wealthy people want to fund this then fine. I just see this as the people of Texas being fooled again.
Wow... interesting read. In this circumstance we basically have two snake oil salesman in the form of Hellmund & McCombs portraying this racetrack as the next best thing since sliced bread. They would have been wiser to have funded everything themselves with only a few small concessions from local and state governments. With the State of Texas set to fire educators right in the middle of all this... the PROJECT is starting on a bad note. My bet is that it's only going to get worse.

What's really kooky about all this is the massive risk these fellows have been willing to take. F1 is a niche of a niche here in the US. Even at a seasoned venue such as Indianapolis we all saw attendance drop substantially with each passing year.

Odd.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,029 Posts

There are enough F1 fans to fill the stand at 1 US GP. Indy seats hundreds of thousands of people making it a very unique venue. Even at it's lowest point of attendance (and this includes the year after the Micheline Tire Debable), Indy still had more spectators than any other race on the calender so I don't buy that the US won't support a GP here. And we know that the manufacterers want a race here as it's their biggest market.

I don't like any public funds being used for private businesses, especially during these economic times. In the end I don't believe the $25m they are talking about is going to make or break the track from happening.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

And again, the supposed "public funds" are an advance rebate on anticipated sales taxes derived from the venue. No venue = no sales taxes = no economic benefit = no alleged "public funds".

Some pretty simple FACTS lost or purposely ignored by the dip****s who don't want this track and/or race to happen.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Don't think they'll complete it in time for the 2012 date hombre!

There are enough F1 fans to fill the stand at 1 US GP. Indy seats hundreds of thousands of people making it a very unique venue. Even at it's lowest point of attendance (and this includes the year after the Micheline Tire Debacle), Indy still had more spectators than any other race on the calender so I don't buy that the US won't support a GP here. And we know that the manufacterers want a race here as it's their biggest market.

I don't like any public funds being used for private businesses, especially during these economic times. In the end I don't believe the $25m they are talking about is going to make or break the track from happening.
If those two, Suavo & McCombs want a racetrack so bad they should have just left government out of it, with the exception of some "getting there" infrastructure... and written a few more checks. Can you only imagine the nightmare of attending this event? There are no roads. Hopefully my leased helicopter will have a place to land when the time comes for that grand opening.

This entire PROJECT has impending fiasco written all over it, no matter how hard some sad Transplantos stomp their feet and hold their collective breaths.

This teacher firing coming down at the same time is making Texas look not so good. Here's a thought. If McCombs is willing to pay $280.000,000 for a shrine to his legacy... why even bother the state for the measly $25,000,000 going to paid out to that Evil Bernie every year?

Well?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Frankie, you and I are from California. We KNOW the politicians here have screwed the pooch pretty badly. The stadium/arenas fiasco in ARIZONA should be an embarassment to everyone there. I tend to hold Texans in higher regard. They appear to be more "logical" and have more common sense any other states. Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it.

The roads to and from have to be addressed. I remember Silverstone from years ago where the Brits couldn't even get to the race because of the cluster. They worked it out the following year. Hopefully the CoTA will learn from that experience that happened not too long ago at an older established track.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Quite the eye-opener Tedster!

Read "Public Funding of Sports Arenas" by the University of Utah for detailed support.

Projects like this always promise the world. Could almost buy into it all if this was to be a NASCAR track. But F1?

http://www.cppa.utah.edu/publication...s_Stadiums.pdf

Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Texans can go all "crazy politico" on par with anyone from The Golden State amigo!

Frankie, you and I are from California. We KNOW the politicians here have screwed the pooch pretty badly. The stadium/arenas fiasco in ARIZONA should be an embarassment to everyone there. I tend to hold Texans in higher regard. They appear to be more "logical" and have more common sense any other states. Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it.

The roads to and from have to be addressed. I remember Silverstone from years ago where the Brits couldn't even get to the race because of the cluster. They worked it out the following year. Hopefully the CoTA will learn from that experience that happened not too long ago at an older established track.
As I've stated before, the Great State of Texas has been diluted over these past 20 years by this mega-influx of Transplantos... dragging with them their contaminated ideologies. This is now having a negative effect on building this raceway. Don't forget the absolute power of the Good Old Boy system either, an even more powerful set-up and more deeply ingrained in the state then anything over in Sacramento. 110% sure all this has effected everyone's common sense there to a fault.

CoTA. That is the silliest name EVER!

Quick Reply: Gloves Off in Austin?