Sponsored by:

Gingerman Tips / Tactics

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gingerman Tips / Tactics

I will be racing at Gingerman Raceway in early June. I've never driven that track before and wonder what tips / tricks I should be doing to get better acquainted. I plan on watching plenty of video and hoping I can walk the track the evening before my race weekend. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

:cricket:

- I've been doing more research on this track and found out that they lengthened it by adding a whole new set of curves in late 2010 so most older videos and data files no longer apply.
- The track reminds me of Hastings or MAM as it is very flat and has a ton of runoff area.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

this is from last august after the extension was opened... enjoy, chuck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODHNitsjns
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the track, just don't follow those lines. Turn 1 you can take much faster than you think don't over brake and use all of the track on exit. T2 enter later, go right up to the blend line and bring it in slow and pour it on as you exit. T3, late apex, accelerate through it and use all the track but be careful not to get too far onto the concrete apron whose rumble strips can get you spinning., T4 is a kink at full throttle. T5 take about 4-5' outside the curb trailbraking in which will help rotate the car and square you up for the entrance T6. The 5/6 combo can help you make up a lot of ground if you get it right. T7 can be taken a little early. Let the car out and stay out there until you reach a square 1' patch in the asphault, then bring it in to T8(it may seem like a long time to hang out there buy you can use full throttle). T9 should be take a little late but stay off the curb, it's concrete and about 6" high. 7-8-9 is another place that you can make up time on less comitted drivers. Track all the way out and start looking for T10 where you will be about 4-5' off the curb and follow the arc but get the car to the left and squared up for the new T11 at the outside of the track. Brake for T11 before the rise, you will have no grip on the drop off. As the track drops off start your gradual move to a late apex and full throttle aiming for the center of the hill. After the drop off, the track is off camber on the outside, don't go there! T12 is pretty much a flat 90 but you have a sand trap and guard rail to add some pucker.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gingerman has great wrap sandwiches at the concession stand! I like the buffalo wing one best with blue cheese dressing. This is the extent of my knowledge on Gingerman. Have fun. Be safe!

Last edited by No HTwo O; 05-10-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

By the way, the track was designed by the same guy that did Putnam Park. Open and safe. If you get good at the 5/6 you can come in late on an opponent and have a 5-7 mph exit advantage and pass on the short straight between 6/7. If you are defending you may need move to the center between 7/8, the outside is the qualy line and easier on the tires.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
gla924sem
Advanced

Default GingerMan PCA Race

FYI......registration for the PCA GingerMan Club Race will be opening shortly

Sve the dates.......July 1....2.....& 3
Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

You are right, it seems to also be very similar to Putnam Park - especially the last turn before the straight where the pit wall comes up pretty quick. I'm hoping the rumble strips there are not like Putnam's - tall and will literally bounce the car off its line if you touch them. Thanks for the turn by turn writeup - I'll be working that through my head with video I'm watching. Can't wait to drive it in 3 weeks - my next race is this weekend ironically at Putnam Park.

I will see if I can try out the concession stand - our race group pays for food / drinks including a cooked lunch - saves us time.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Joel - Linda is out shopping today. She makes some mean beer brats!

JG's advice above is very good.

I was going over Traqmate data with Angel last night, and remarked on some of the similarities of Putnam with Gingerman, though I didn't know the connection. Makes sense now.

Turn 8 at Putnam (dead bear turn?), is somewhat similar to turn 5/6 at Gingerman - both with decreasing radius that allows more entry speed than you think, aggressive trailbraking, and a very late apex. This is even more true at Gingerman, than Putnam, but significant time can be made in both by carrying more entry speed than you think you should, and being patient on turn in, and using trail braking to rotate the car and make the late apex work.

Angel's data showed that he was consistantly lifting at track out in turn 8, and his line showed an earlier apex that caused him to run out of track at track out. If I get a chance, I'll post the data, or show it to you Friday - it's pretty interesting/telling.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I'm realizing that now after watching some more videos. I can't wait to race this weekend and this time keep Angel behind me!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just one Q, did they leave the large dip at the apex of the last turn onto the main straight alone? last time I was there, a few years ago it was pretty bad, i ended up just putting the inside wheels on the rumbles
Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 AM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

IPGuy: They re-did turn 11 completely. New curbs, new asphalt.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:20 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

See you at Putnam. Better bring the rain tires.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo911cm
IPGuy: They re-did turn 11 completely. New curbs, new asphalt.
finally, thank goodness, need to get back there some time soon...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IPguy
finally, thank goodness, need to get back there some time soon...
Well you are a Chicago guy, the Chicago Region PCA has a 2 day event the last weekend of July you can sign up for.

Quick Reply: Gingerman Tips / Tactics