Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race a GT3 Cup at the Nurburgring in 8 weeks, car provided, reasonably priced…

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Race a GT3 Cup at the Nurburgring in 8 weeks, car provided, reasonably priced…

PMNA is helping coordinate an “Arrive and Drive” program for GT3 Cup cars at the Nurburgring race on June 25. If you have a racing license, and are having a good year financially (cost, about $40K), you can race the ‘Ring in a GT3 Cup provided for your enjoyment. Full race support, 3 sets of slicks, etc. all included.

Do not know the ‘Ring? Never raced in Europe? NO PROBLEM! Signing up for the Porsche Carrera World Cup (PCWC) makes you eligible for the two day ‘Ring school June 21-22. Chief Instructor is former Porsche factory driver Sascha Maassen.

So to recap:
  • Write a big check
  • Fly to Germany June 18
  • Join RL’ers LARRY CABLE, CARRERING, TRAKCAR, RAPID and me with practice laps June 18-19-20 during tourist driving (thread here)
  • Go to ‘Ring school with the professionals June 21-22
  • Open track time June 23
  • Qualifying June 24
  • Go racing on the ‘Ring June 25!

CARRERING will be racing in the 24 hour ADAC race June 25-26, and had a driving seat open (thread here; Renault Clio Cup, about $30K). To race the 24H, racing experience at the ‘Ring is required – it is a long race, lots of different cars/speeds, night driving, etc.

The PCWC is a one hour daytime race, less than 200 cars on a 13 mile track; all cars are 2008-2011 GT3Cups. Since you can get in with just a license and the 2 day school, you do not have to move to Europe for a summer to qualify!

As widely discussed, the ‘Ring management has misbehaved, causing lots of disruption (and concerns about the future availability of the ‘Ring). A great way to learn the ‘Ring was the BMW School, but it was cancelled this year (forever?). I looked into whether it was possible to go to the ADAC / Porsche Ring School without racing (no!). When I saw all that was included in the PCWC package, it looked like a great value. If only I had a racing license, it would be one of the most memorable weeks of my life! I did not think the word was spread widely enough, so I posted this up.

US contact is Vera Frank at PMNA, 714-361-2521. Deadline to sign up is about May 9. List of available cars from February is HERE (thanks, CONDOR MAN). Info sheet attached. Somebody go! Life is short!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
ring arrive drive.doc (35.0 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by facelvega; 04-28-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's that Freegin winning lottery ticket when you need it?!?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do these organizations recognize any U.S. racing licenses (e.g., SCCA, NASA or PCA)?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Do these organizations recognize any U.S. racing licenses (e.g., SCCA, NASA or PCA)?
Apparently they recognize all of these:

Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

The document said that they do. However, you must have proven RACE experience at the Ring within the last 5 years. Or take a school.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I've got a kidney and ******** for sale, just need to find a buyer and I'm in
Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sundog
The document said that they do. However, you must have proven RACE experience at the Ring within the last 5 years. Or take a school.
You need an International "C" license - if you have a race license of any sort in the USA, I think this is just paperwork.

From what I read, you do NOT need proven race experience at the Ring - just take the school June 21-22. RACE experience is usually the high cost / time consuming item - you would have to live in Germany a few months, or fly over for several races. The cost of a two day, closed track school on the Ring, with internationally renowned instructors, is huge. Scuderia Hanseat and BMW Ring School would be the closest comparisons.

Unless you are suicidal, you would not want to carry any speed at the Ring without experience, so the school is not a hardship; it is actually one of the FEATURES of this package. As a non-racer, I CANNOT get into the ADAC/Porsche Ring training - I wish I could.

The price of this is not cheap, but for a USA racer (of potentially limited experience), this sounds like one of the least expensive ways to race in a great car on the most epic track in the world. If I ever learn enough about driving to race, this track would be at the top of the bucket list. The payment is not for seat time driving a Cup; it is for racing a Cup at the Ring!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

OMFG
Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Apparently they recognize all of these:

Yes, but at only 75% and trending lower....
Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ironimages
Yes, but at only 75% and trending lower....
That is why it is important to spend your dollars now, before they become completely worthless. When I am retired, living in a cardboard box under a freeway overpass, I want to be able to think back to the time I raced a Cup on the 'Ring.....
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

We should link up. I will not be in a GT3 Cup, but a Stage 2 Suzuki Swift Sport June 21st. We'll be staying at the Hotel Wilhelmshöhe. Hopefully, we'll link up for a beer.

-Patrick
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hearing that all is not well at the 'Ring, not by a long shot. Under financial pressure some ill concieved and then lost reinvestment money has changed things. The investment group that owns the circuit is putting all kinds of stipulations on track use, like you've got to stay at their hotels to gain access and the like. Local supportive businesses and rental companies are in an uproar.
My read is that if you get the chance, get to the place ASAP, it looks to be changing forever.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:16 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Something else to think about when adding up the cost. Who pays for any damage that could happen to the car.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks interesting, but seems a little too expensive for what you get. I'm assuming it includes some sort of liability/damage insurance on the cars.

Wish they'd have distributed the info sheet as PDF instead of a Word document (i can't read it at home).

-mike
Old 04-30-2011, 02:01 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Looks interesting, but seems a little too expensive for what you get. I'm assuming it includes some sort of liability/damage insurance on the cars.

Wish they'd have distributed the info sheet as PDF instead of a Word document (i can't read it at home).

-mike

pdf version
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ring arrive drive.pdf (32.0 KB, 108 views)

Quick Reply: Race a GT3 Cup at the Nurburgring in 8 weeks, car provided, reasonably priced…