Sponsored by:

Trailer Workbench?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Trailer Workbench?

I just picked up my 24' foot trailer and I am now looking for a 8' workbench to install in it along the front wall. Here is what I have found:

http://www.pitproducts.com/8basecabinet.html

Has anyone seen or used one of these? How is the quality?

Much of the stuff I will carry in my trailer will be in those transparent plastic containers with integrated lids. This workbench looks like it would be great for storing those. Theoretically, I could store 18 of those containers with room to spare.

I am not a fan of overdoing the diamond plate motif buy I have not seen other options in the price range.

Other opinions and options?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott - I have a number of their products in my trailer (table, tire racks, hanging racks, fuel jug holders, etc.) and I've been very pleased.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 2 Craftsman tool chests and put one on each side of the front section bolted to the floor. I then got a 4x8 sheet of MDF and cut it out so it's like a work bench. Just put some stocky back tile on it and an aluminum edge and it looks and works great. Gives me lots of room and stores all my spares and tools. all in all cost me about $400-450. Its been in there for 5 years and still looks and works great.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the pit products tire racks. They're not bad. For the price they are worth it but they aren't on the same level as PitPal. Those look pretty good for the price though. If mine hadn't come with the full cabinets up front I'd probably do something more like what xupkid2 has done. A couple of the bigger rollaway bases from craftsman or whatever and e-track them to the wall for transport and then they can be moved around for other times.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have picked up a number of their items.
But for my work bench I just made two level shelf unit that I attached across the front.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have their tire rack, and love it. I looked at every rack I could find, and it was my favorite. And, I just finished what was pretty much a no expense spared trailer buildout.

I don't have any experience on any of their other stuff. For the most part, I think pitpal is higher quality. I have seen someone with those cabinets before, and they seemed OK. I didn't like the diamond plate look. I went with ctech cabinets, which are very nice, but pricey. I liked the ones pitpal carried as well (don't know if they still do). Technocraft I think. Call them direct, and sometimes they have blems. I saw them at PRI, and liked them. They seemed the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I have their tire rack, and love it. I looked at every rack I could find, and it was my favorite. And, I just finished what was pretty much a no expense spared trailer buildout.

I don't have any experience on any of their other stuff. For the most part, I think pitpal is higher quality. I have seen someone with those cabinets before, and they seemed OK. I didn't like the diamond plate look. I went with ctech cabinets, which are very nice, but pricey. I liked the ones pitpal carried as well (don't know if they still do). Technocraft I think. Call them direct, and sometimes they have blems. I saw them at PRI, and liked them. They seemed the best bang for the buck.
David,

I have looked at the Technocraft 8' enclosed cabinet and it seems quite nice. But, it does cost $1045. That's almost twice as much.

Since I plan on storing most of my stuff in containers, I don't really require doors. Maybe I will just find a nice aluminum work surface and build it out with wood and put a toolbox in on one side.

Thnaks,

Scott
Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanted a pretty face, so I just bought the lower ctech from face (and I was working with a vnose). The cheapest route would be to do what I did for my countertop and shelf. I used heavy aluminum angle turned upside down, to support 3/4" plywood for the countertop and shelf. For the top, I got a 4x8' sheet of stainless for about $130 from a metal recycler, and glued it on. For the bottom, I had an old piece of formica. If you didn't want a facing, just support the front, and cap the forward edges.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott,

Glad to hear you got your trailer and made it home. Hope it came out just the way you wanted. Still have not painted mine yet due to the temperatures but hoping to do so soon. Ran my first races last weekend and the trailer was great.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by schwank
Scott,

Glad to hear you got your trailer and made it home. Hope it came out just the way you wanted. Still have not painted mine yet due to the temperatures but hoping to do so soon. Ran my first races last weekend and the trailer was great.
Eric,

The trailer came out great! But driving 1400 miles over a 32 hour period was tough. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

I still have to install the Reese Strait-Line (dual cam sway) hitch and I am not sure what I am going to use to paint the floor.

Scott
Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I have the pit products tire racks. They're not bad. For the price they are worth it but they aren't on the same level as PitPal.
I am the opposite. I bought a PitPal tire rack and was disappointed so returned it and went with a PitProducts rack instead as it seemed much sturdier and more attractive.

As for the OP, lots of workbenches that might work to consider here: http://www.carguygarage.com/workbench.html

Marc
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a old gorilla garage storage rack bolted to the floor and a sheet of plywood. 4x8 plywood was carved to fit the gentle curve of the trailer front perfectly. I carry 9 of those storage boxes. I have space for 3 or 4 more, but I don't carry that much junk and like to leave that space open for other stuff.

I then bolted it to the rack and painted with expoxy based outdoor porch paint. Same stuff I used on the trailer floor.

The plastic trays to the left are actually bolted to the bench so they don't move around, but keep stuff I use all the time handy. I like to that fact that I can keep alot of stuff in easy reach, and not need to do alot repacking at the end of each event. The tool box has a couple tack strips to keep it from sliding around.

The pastic storage bins mostly just sit there and don't get used, but that is fine. At least by labeling them I can keep track of my spares.

Here you can see the simple set-up for holding out door chairs and sleeping cots.

To me the big advanatge of the enclosed trailer is the ability to keep stuff handy, but still packed away. I can get to most stuff quickly and that allows me to keep most things packed. So when I get to the track I don't need to up pack much. I pull the car out of the trailer, set-up my 10x10 tents, untie my rolling cart and flip the lid on my tool box. I am ready to go. Floorjack as dedicated spot too. The real key at and event is to pack up anything I take out when I am done. That way I minimize the cluttrer on the work bench and make post event clean up easier/faster.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Foldable work benches, scroll down. I bought my ramps from this guy and the quality is first rate....
http://www.cargopal.com/tables.htm
Old 04-25-2011, 02:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Exterior pictures of the new trailer...

Scott
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 AM
winders
Race Car

I installed the Reese Strait-Line (dual cam sway) hitch today. I am now sore all over. I guess I need to work out more!

Because of budget I think I am going with the workbench in my first post. The diamond plate look just fine and will be simple to maintain. I will bolt a 26" W x 16" D x 20" H Craftsman tool chest I already have to one side of the work surface.

Scott

Quick Reply: Trailer Workbench?