Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Austin F1 track has a new name

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All those folk are much happier dealing with soccer hombre!

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Please educate me, what is the point?

Cultural influence from Mexico and Central/South America?

Smart guys trying to tap into markets larger than Continental US?

Money and cojones?

If any of the above is the point that is supposed to make this name good, I admit, I'm missing the point.
I mean, if you wanted to please people outside of Continental US, you might as well have called it "Circuit of the World" or something.
Think that the "organizers" such as ol' Suavo Hellmund will throw any sharpened pencil up at the acoustic tile ceiling just praying something will stick. Hellmund was talking about how this track's virtues were going to help out the University of Texas at Austin in the "scientific fields"... some sort of way or fashion.

Yea.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,265 Likes on 1,928 Posts

IIRC the UofT has a pretty impressive automotive engineering program involved in SAE something or other. You read about it once in a while in R&T but it's mostly autocross stuff, no need for a FIA certified track, but if it can help with something else, so be it.

I'd like to ask those that live in the area if they are actually going to drive DE's/Club races etc. on this track or if it's just speculation at this point?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default That program you speak of is tiny...

Originally Posted by Pete
IIRC the UofT has a pretty impressive automotive engineering program involved in SAE something or other. You read about it once in a while in R&T but it's mostly autocross stuff, no need for a FIA certified track, but if it can help with something else, so be it.

I'd like to ask those that live in the area if they are actually going to drive DE's/Club races etc. on this track or if it's just speculation at this point?
.... as the University of Texas engineering department is more noted for petroleum and electrical engineering. Ohh, lets not forget the entire spectrum of IT Geekhood either.

You didn't really see club racing @ IMS did you amigo? They would be smart to do so however. Anything to help offset that $280,000,000 nut would be helpful.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...budget-crunch/
Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Great State of Texas was sold a bill of goods hombre!

They bit on it with promises of prosperity for the future. My guess is that they'll cough up the dough even under all this fire and wait for the first year's racing results as to what happens next.

Austin is pretty behind the eight ball on decent hotels and decent quality hotels by the way. Just recalled this the other day.

Quick Reply: Austin F1 track has a new name