Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Austin F1 track has a new name

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't even sound that decent in a shortened version either!

Originally Posted by Astroman
The name sucks (especially since we already have an ultra-classic and historic Road America).

I can't imagine anyone actually calling it that.
Reckon that Bubba's will have to do until they find something more creative.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Pretty retarded choice of names I'd say amigo!

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Austin International Raceway (AIR) and Austin Motorsports Park (AMP) come to mind, or Circuit de Austin America if you want to go with a European flavor.
Like your Austin International Raceway... not so much on the rest. Anything with a 'de' is best relegated close to where Frogs reside.

'Circuit of the Americas' just sounds bad. Know where that came from. Red McCombs is from San Antonio and they have a 'Tower of Americas'. Since he's writing the Big Check... guess that's what it'll be.

http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/

Not a good sign.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You entirely & totally missed the point...but keep barking up that same tree!
Originally Posted by Pete
DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

I get it now...

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW??
It was obvious to everyone else except you...
Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
'Circuit of the Americas' just sounds bad. Know where that came from. Red McCombs is from San Antonio and they have a 'Tower of Americas'. Since he's writing the Big Check... guess that's what it'll be.

http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/

Not a good sign.
Your "logic" escapes me. Growing up in San Antonio in the 60's and 70's, Red McCombs has never had any association with the Tower of the Americas. In fact, Jim Hasslocher was the original restauranteur at the Tower and did a pretty good business when it opened in 1968 for Hemisfair, an for several years afterward.

Further, if you knew much about the culture in South Texas, you would know that there is a heavy influence from Mexico and Central/South America (and before you say it.... far beyond the drug influence. I'm talking cultural influence here.). What you are seeing is some pretty smart guys who are trying to tap into a market far larger than the continental US market, and one which has repeatedly demonstrated their willingness to spend LOTS of money at these types of events. Localizing, or even regionalizing, the track and ignoring a far larger international market is just silly.

Say what you will, but at least these guys had the money and the cojones and the smarts to execute this effort. I, for one, hope they make it. I would love to be able to attend F1 races in (virtually) my back yard. AND am looking forward to being able to race on this circuit at the club level.

If (since your Rennlist info states you are in the Bay Area) you're mad that your brethren down the road at Laguna or across the Bay at Infineon did not get the race, then go find your investors in Silicon Valley and tell them to pony up. Then maybe you guys can get your own F1 race too.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Your "logic" escapes me. Growing up in San Antonio in the 60's and 70's, Red McCombs has never had any association with the Tower of the Americas. In fact, Jim Hasslocher was the original restauranteur at the Tower and did a pretty good business when it opened in 1968 for Hemisfair, an for several years afterward.

Further, if you knew much about the culture in South Texas, you would know that there is a heavy influence from Mexico and Central/South America (and before you say it.... far beyond the drug influence. I'm talking cultural influence here.). What you are seeing is some pretty smart guys who are trying to tap into a market far larger than the continental US market, and one which has repeatedly demonstrated their willingness to spend LOTS of money at these types of events. Localizing, or even regionalizing, the track and ignoring a far larger international market is just silly.

Say what you will, but at least these guys had the money and the cojones and the smarts to execute this effort. I, for one, hope they make it. I would love to be able to attend F1 races in (virtually) my back yard. AND am looking forward to being able to race on this circuit at the club level.

If (since your Rennlist info states you are in the Bay Area) you're mad that your brethren down the road at Laguna or across the Bay at Infineon did not get the race, then go find your investors in Silicon Valley and tell them to pony up. Then maybe you guys can get your own F1 race too.
Well-said. But don't waste your breath confusing a troll with facts.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Never stated that McCombs...

... had anything fiscal to do with the 'Tower of the Americas'. My observation was that he simply looked around his hometown and slightly changed a landmark's name.

Know Texas really well. Attempting to tap into the "latin vein" is cute... but far from reality amigo. This is Texas we are talking about after all.

With you that it would be great to have a world class F1 track right there close to you and clueless Austin Transplantos with a penchant for gravel traps. The risk here is getting into bed with the very unstable Bernie. THAT in itself would keep me away from F1 until his retirement or demise. Suggest you read up on what happened @ Indianapolis compadre.

At this time my money is that they won't make 2012, for a number of reasons about to reveal themselves. Sort of sad really but McCombs wants a legacy as big as ol' Bick Benedict.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Indy only made money the 1st year when the grandstands were packed with 200k people. Bernie's fees were too high for Tony George to make a profit once the numbers dropped, eventhough they were still over 100K each race.

Bernie's MO is to give every country hope of hosting a GP that way he plays off one country against another, as long as he has more tracks than dates, he gets his $$.

Somehow, Bernie always gets his (black eye on the streets of London excluded).

Here is another example:

Turkey set to be dropped?
22 April 2011The Turkish Grand Prix will be dropped from the FIA Formula One World Championship calendar next season, it is being reported. According to the Turkish media the event at Istanbul Park has been axed after F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone tried to double the fee to stage the race, raising it from $13 million to $26.

Murat Yalcintas, Head of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce, confirmed the dispute via Twitter.

"It looks like the Formula One race will not be held in Istanbul next year," he said. "Because it [the finance ministry] found this figure very high it looks like it will not make the payment. That is the reason the race is not happening."

Turkey, which will host the next round of this year’s championship and which will open the European season on May 8, first hosted an F1 event back in 2005. The current contract expires this season.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I read that earlier. Sad. I'm going to miss the Turn 8 action.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Well-said. But don't waste your breath confusing a troll with facts.
Jesus Christ on a motorcycle!! What has any of that has to do with criticizing the name?

I want the race to happen, I'm rooting everything to be perfect, I want the people who are doing this to succeed, I want the race to succeed, I want everyone to look at "US GP" to be awesome event etc. etc. etc. and I don't give a **** that the race is not in Laguna Seca, NYC or where ever else, I'm actually happy it's in Texas since it's close and I can drive my Porsche to the F1 race...

But with all that, I think the name is bad.

It has nothing to do with where the race is held, who did it or what size ***** the guys who are doing it have, but it has everything to do with what the name is.

So, please, get over the fact that we all "hate Texas because someone there is trying to make F1 race in US happen", we don't hate Texas, we are HAPPY that this thing is happening, no matter where in US it's help, but we don't like the name because WE DON'T LIKE THE NAME.

OK?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Once again, you miss the point. No worries, though, I enjoyed your rant.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Exactamundo hombre!

Originally Posted by Pete
Indy only made money the 1st year when the grandstands were packed with 200k people. Bernie's fees were too high for Tony George to make a profit once the numbers dropped, even though they were still over 100K each race.
This entire project and the way it's been handled smacks of Pure Retard. Rednecks are going to lose their Wrangler shirts in this deal. You just KNOW that one of these Texans is going to **** Bernie off in due time. You just know it!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default You're arguing with a dude that isn't even from Texas amigo!

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I think the name is bad.

So, please, get over the fact that we all "hate Texas because someone there is trying to make F1 race in US happen", we don't hate Texas, we are HAPPY that this thing is happening, no matter where in US it's help, but we don't like the name because WE DON'T LIKE THE NAME.
Nothing worse than some Transplanto from some far away Ville going all native. It's simply sad.

Like any project there are so many that believe if you criticize anything about the endeavor, you're criticizing EVERYTHING about it. This name is truly dumb. In my opinion it was just laziness and that's that. Another aspect is that many feel if they're completely onboard with the program a "perk" might be heading their way in the future. "Joe Schmoe backed us throughout. Lets let him lose on the circuit one fine Texas Saturday."

Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Were you residing in Dallas back in 1984 hombre?

Say what you will, but at least these guys had the money and the cojones and the smarts to execute this effort.
THAT ol' 1984 GP around Fair Park was something. Hotter than Hades and a track whose asphalt was degrading with each and every lap. It was wild.

Instead of attempting to build a Texan Taj Mahal to the Gods of Formula One, my strategy would have to first spooled up a street course through Austin. It's exactly like dating. Appetizers & cocktails before springing for a full meal. Feel each other out, and up... THEN make a commitment or not.

McCombs skipped the foreplay and for that he may just burn.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Once again, you miss the point. No worries, though, I enjoyed your rant.
Please educate me, what is the point?

Cultural influence from Mexico and Central/South America?

Smart guys trying to tap into markets larger than Continental US?

Money and cojones?

If any of the above is the point that is supposed to make this name good, I admit, I'm missing the point.
I mean, if you wanted to please people outside of Continental US, you might as well have called it "Circuit of the World" or something.

Quick Reply: Austin F1 track has a new name