Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Austin F1 track has a new name

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The name is a little retarded, but the actually track in Austin TX looks interesting.
Kind of a cross between Suzuka and the modern day Hockenheim.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Just to stir the pot.... let's bring back the old Hockenheim....
Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pete
Just to stir the pot.... let's bring back the old Hockenheim....
Not long ago I did some virtual laps around the old Hockenheim on the GTR Evolution driving game and I found the track from a driving point of view to be anti-climatic. Long straights interrupted by a few chicanes. We already have a track like this (Monza) and we don't need more. Of course what is missing from my virtual experience at driving at the old Hockenheim is the physical G-Forces the drivers must go through with the hard braking to make the chicanes. It would be interesting to get the feedback from the drivers who drove both the old and the modern day Hockenheim circuits. If I am not mistaken the primary motivation for the modern day circuit was that it pretty much doubled the number of times the spectators in the stadium would see the cars since the modern day layout is much smaller.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sir qwee dee ah-mahreeekahs. Huh.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
Not long ago I did some virtual laps around the old Hockenheim on the GTR Evolution driving game and I found the track from a driving point of view to be anti-climatic. Long straights interrupted by a few chicanes. We already have a track like this (Monza) and we don't need more. Of course what is missing from my virtual experience at driving at the old Hockenheim is the physical G-Forces the drivers must go through with the hard braking to make the chicanes. It would be interesting to get the feedback from the drivers who drove both the old and the modern day Hockenheim circuits. If I am not mistaken the primary motivation for the modern day circuit was that it pretty much doubled the number of times the spectators in the stadium would see the cars since the modern day layout is much smaller.
That is correct. The new Hockenheim is more of a Stadium experience rather than an old road in the forest. From a technical stand point it was not much, BUT, the racing was always good. The straights were long enough that a less superior car could get a tow and out brake a leading car into the chicanes. Also, lots of rain in that part of the country and that alone could save on the artificial sprinklers Bernie has been talking about.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Track will not be finished in time for the 2012 season amigo!

I'll be there in year 1 or 2, can't decide because I don't know if the infra sctructure around the track will be ready in time, but regardless, all eyes will be on Austin in about 14 months!
There's a small hicup just around the corner about to rear it's ugly little head.

Though they were going to go with the original name... "Aus-Tex Speedway El Grande"?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Not sure what you are getting at here. Do you mean that anyone who doesn't like it is a "20-20 hindsight armchair QB" or just those who think that it is stupid beyond belief?...
Exactly.

What should we have done then? Cheer and praise only because it's in US or in your (VR) home state/town.

Just those two names Larry suggested (by 3rd, he might've already had too much gin & tonic) we far better IMO and you as a Texan I think should've been proud of them.

In any case, if/when we criticize something related to this Austin track project next time, take a deep breath and try to take it less personal, if we think the name if this track is a bit stupid, it doesn't mean we think everyone in Austin is.

We'll see you there when F1 circus comes to town.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 04-16-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Exactly.

What should we have done then? Cheer and praise only because it's in US or in your (VR) home state/town.

Just those two names Larry suggested (by 3rd, he might've already had too much gin & tonic) we far better IMO and you as a Texan I think should've been proud of them.

In any case, if/when we criticize something related to this Austin track project next time, take a deep breath and try to take it less personal, if we think the name if this track is a bit stupid, it doesn't mean we think everyone in Austin is.

You entirely & totally missed the point...but keep barking up that same tree!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Well... there are Texans and there are Transplanto Texans amigo!

Something to always keep in mind.

Everyone agrees that having a new North American venue is great. Issues always arise in the way this all was implemented. If Red McCombs wants to build a $250,000,000 shrine to celebrate his legacy... than more power to him. My wish is that he would have spent all that cash on Austin's roadways because they truly suck.

Anyone getting in bed with that angry troll Bernie Ecclestone should have their heads examined. What happens when that dude gets the [I]red ***[/I} and cancels the F1 Ciircus there? Everyone must have completely forgotten what happened at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

My hope it that this project does click. Experience and knowing how Austin operates tells me otherwise. Fingers crossed muchachos!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default How much dry ice can fit in a modern F1 cockpit?

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

They did it in Dallas 1984.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

and I thought they were going to call it Los Cohones Grandes........

R+C
Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

So the owner decided to plan ahead and future-proof the name of his new track for Texas's upcoming entry into third world status, what's the problem?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The name sucks (especially since we already have an ultra-classic and historic Road America).

I can't imagine anyone actually calling it that.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just those two names Larry suggested (by 3rd, he might've already had too much gin & tonic)...
HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW??
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Austin F1 track has a new name