Heat cycling the BFG R1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heat cycling the BFG R1

Changing to the new compound BFG R1 this year from Toyos in the past. First weekend out is a double points weekend, Q1 then Race 1 on Saturday, Q2 then Race 2 on Sunday.

I have 2 new sets of R1's and some really old crappy Toyos that I can use if I have to. Timing will not be ideal but I simply won't have a chance to get the new tires cycled prior to the event. I can run one set lightly in Q1, then swap for old Toyos and save the R1's til Sunday's race for a 24 hour resting period. Or I can just put em on and go for it right out of the gate.

Either way it seems I am gonna have some issues on Saturday at the least. Either run hard on uncycled tires, or qualy poorly in Q1 to cycle them and run the first points race on old rubber.

Ideas on best approach here?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Run 'em hard right out of the gate. 2 laps to get all the compound goops off then good to go IMO.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Run 'em.

I was talking to BFG race support last year at NJMP. They told me "Tirerack heat cycling on our tires is not necessary and is a waste of money."

So, based on that, I don't think these are as finicky with heat cycling as other tires.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Run 'em hard right out of the gate. 2 laps to get all the compound goops off then good to go IMO.
Disagree on this one VR.

Heat cycle as any other "race" tire,one session building up to temp slowly and then let cool slowly. Then let them sit unused for 24-48 hrs off of car before using again. You'll get more life and more consistent tire with doing it this way.

Yes they will be slippery until tire mold release is worn off.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Van, I hate to say it...no, actually I don't hate to say it, because it needs to be said: TireRack heat cycling of any tire (even one that does need proper cycling) is a waste of money, and is not a proper heat cycle.

Viking, that's cool, we disagree. And you may be right, although I believe the R1 is much like the RA1 in this regard, and needs no cycling. Regardless, he does not want to **** away his Q1, so as I said, he should run them hard from the get go to qualify better.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I hate to say it...no, actually I don't hate to say it, because it needs to be said: TireRack heat cycling of any tire (even one that does need proper cycling) is a waste of money, and is not a proper heat cycle.

Ok, now I'll agree with you on that one !
Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys... I will be able to properly cycle set #2 on my second race weekend as there will be a practice session.

Because it is Portland in April it will probably end up pouring the whole time anyway and I'll have to run the rains!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

What is the difference in compound meant to be? Or, how do they differ from the previous versions and will they be better, worse, or just different from an R6?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

As usual the described improvements are: "Longer life, more grip". Not that any tire would ever be marketed differently!

I think the speed is up in the air. I have read in the past drivers on both sides of the R1/R6 question. Everyone locally runs the R6 so it is a known quantity that I can always fall back on, but I would bet preference depends on each individual car/driver/setup. In my size, the R1 is 25% cheaper per tire as well.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how did the tires go without the heat cycle? I am in the same boat, was suppose to go lapping to scrub em off on sunday but got invited to be a second driver in a vintage enduro. Race will be next weekend for my car.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
John's 991
Pro

Van, I hate to say it...no, actually I don't hate to say it, because it needs to be said: TireRack heat cycling of any tire (even one that does need proper cycling) is a waste of money, and is not a proper heat cycle.
Hi VR, why is that? I am not an expert in heat cycling by any means, but the approach of using rollers would seem to be comparable to driving, perhaps without much side load. Is it 0% as good, or 60% as good (i.e. better than nothing)?

I'm not suggesting your wrong, just don't understand the details of why you might be right.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm an instructor group DE driver and am on my fifth set of BFG R1. I heat cycled the first set on track. Haven't bothered since.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

I ran my R1's reasonably for two 30 minute afternoon sessions then i went all
out the next day.I ran two sets of Nittos without heat cycling and they were fine.

Cheers
Phil
Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat cycling a tire prior to running it on a track is a beneficial process if done correctly. Also in can be an option for those who don't have an extra set of wheels or time enough to heat cycle them on the track correctly.

And yes - heat cycling done on the track is the best way to heat cycle a tire. Our process would be a very beneficial second choice.....
Old 06-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I was talking to BFG race support last year at NJMP. They told me "Tirerack heat cycling on our tires is not necessary and is a waste of money."

So, based on that, I don't think these are as finicky with heat cycling as other tires.

Viking, that's cool, we disagree. And you may be right, although I believe the R1 is much like the RA1 in this regard, and needs no cycling. Regardless, he does not want to **** away his Q1, so as I said, he should run them hard from the get go to qualify better.
Paul Haney (The tire expert) did a webinar yesterday on tires. He explained all the reasons why heat cycling is important including tempering the rubber, running the belts in, and allowing the carcass to relax into a final shape.

He also covered how to build heat in tires and a number of other things. I know Van was on the webinar.

Quick Reply: Heat cycling the BFG R1