Narain Karthikeyen
0%
Viantonio Liuzzi
0%
Timo Glock
0%
Jerome d' Ambrosio
0%
Takuma Sato (Master of all that is carbon fiber)
3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Malasian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Fernando WAS 4 tenths quicker than Massa. He always says that he consistently brings 3 tenths to a team. This is even better than his average!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the KERS cars will be a disadvantage in the wet.

Steve Matchett mentioned the real reason Redbull did not use KERS, at least, not the full KERS, is because of the power interruption and balance upset during the change when the KERS system is switching states between charging and non-charging. If the car is in a corner and the KERS decides the battery is charged and disengages the charging system, suddenly there is a bit less drag on the driveline and you get a teeny bit of acceleration. NOT what you want to happen when you are already at 112% of cornering traction. RedBull basically said: screw it - and didn't bother. I think this will make make the RedBulls more stable in the wet, and easier to drive. I think if it rains, the RedBulls should walk away from the Woking boys.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is broadcasting the race and at what time?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Its on speed 3:30am sunday eastern time.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a start from Renaults...

Race control... Race control... Designer Vagina is behind Petrov again... Have him drive on the grass... And soon tell massa to move over...

Rain in 5 minutes... This could get interesting, nobody has tested wet Pirellis much.

Was Alonso slow on Friday because they were honing their wet setups?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Exciting start. Petrov remains an open question. He does great things and then shows inconsistency right after. Bring on the rain and really shake things up.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Exciting start. Petrov remains an open question. He does great things and then shows inconsistency right after. Bring on the rain and really shake things up.
+1 He was like last year again, nice flight though!

Renault looks good. Happy to see Heidfeld in podium! one must wonder what would Kubica do... Especially if he was in Petrov's place.

Pretty good race with different drivers' tires going off slightly different times, made it more interesting.

Vettel drove flawlessly, never was his victory in danger. Awesome driver from Button as well.

DV screwed up, he would've gone past Hamilton for sure since Hammy's tires were gone, just didn't have enough patience I guess.
I was expecting Hamilton to have to go to pits also with cut tire but that didn't happen. Unless the pitstop he did was because of that.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice for Webber to discover the KERS stopped working on the outlap.....NOT!! Did very well to set fastest lap and get back to 4th with 4 tyre stops and no KERS all day. At least Vettel had it for half the race. Renaults were fast!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any re-broadcast time? I missed the original.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
3 stops, Ferrari is MUCH better with fuel so their race pace is good.

Although as one of the people who is not the biggest "Designer Vagina" fans, one must wonder where has all that "best car developed" skill of Alonso's gone... Ferrari did most miles during the testing season yet they are more behind the Red Bulls and McLarens than they were when the last season ended...

Same way last season started... Ferrari was further away the competition than they were when the season ended... And the lest season at Renault... Boy they sucked...

I know, I'm just a hater and it's because... Well, you Wayne and 986 come up with a proper excuse.

"Best car developer" my ***...

Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Webber... That's all very close and Alonso will be there in the mix, looks like it's going to be a good race.
Seems like you will be carrying LTC's mantle this yr. Congrats!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Good race, especially if you consider the positives even though the outcome did not show it.
Ferrari has very good race pace and can fight for podiums. They gave this race away by 2 bad stops and Alonso's mistake when trying to pass Hamilton. I wonder if the rate of speed he closed had more to do with Hammy lifting off.
Massa had a horrible 1st stop and Alonso has a horrible next to last pit stop. Alonso lost to Button due to his slow pit, or else he was poised for atleast a podium, if not 2nd spot.
All in all, they just lack single lap pace, which I am sure they will eventually find. I expect Ferrari to be very competitive. Kudos on Ferrari for not making Massa move over for Alonso, even though team orders are allowed this yr. Goes to show, they are giving both drivers an even chance (less ammo for the haters).
Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
What a start from Renaults...

Race control... Race control... Designer Vagina is behind Petrov again... Have him drive on the grass... And soon tell massa to move over...

Rain in 5 minutes... This could get interesting, nobody has tested wet Pirellis much.

Was Alonso slow on Friday because they were honing their wet setups?
Lying Finn, no need, the tool will take himself out on his own and get owned by his team mate, who finally had a normal race.
The call to move Massa over never came, so go find something else to cry about :P .
Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting race. One bad pit stop can ruin your race as far as competing for the podium is concerned. Red Bull needs to solve their KERS issues, or just take it off. But having it on with the added dead weight sure isn't helping them. But a solid drive from Vettel for win #2. The vastly improved French Donkey carts should add to the mix. But they are pretty much taking the place of where we thought Mercedes GP would be? Speaking of Mercedes GP? Not good. Finally yes it was good to see Ferrari not force Massa to move over at the end of the race. I still hate them ... haha ... but good to see. Team orders should only come into effect late in the season.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we can already look to Button being McLaren's main hope this season as he is even more upbeat after the race than he was before. Hamilton, on the other hand, was very glum in the BBC post race interviewer and will be even more downbeat after being hit with a 20 second penalty dropping him another place in the race:

"McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso have been hit with 20-second penalties following a collision in Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

The verdict means that Hamilton drops from seventh to eighth place, although Alonso retains sixth.

Hamilton's penalty was for making more than one change of direction while defending in the build-up to the clash. Alonso's was for causing a collision."

More here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/13029061.stm
Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
ATL986
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT! Hamilton definitely caused that accident, it was not the fault of Fernando. Hamilton most assuredly brake checked the crap out of him!

WTF FIA?

Quick Reply: 2011 Malasian Grand Prix