Narain Karthikeyen
0%
Viantonio Liuzzi
0%
Timo Glock
0%
Jerome d' Ambrosio
0%
Takuma Sato (Master of all that is carbon fiber)
3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Malasian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The post race assessed penalties to Alonso and Hamilton are bogus. It was a racing incident. Let them race for crying out loud.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Vettel had KERS until lap 29, then intermittently throughout the race. Heidfeld had it all the way through and was able to hold off a fast finishing Webber. Guess I'm the only person in here waving Webber's flag. Think he had the best race of everyone considering fastest lap and 4 stops coming from 10th after dismal start.

Amazing to see just how quickly these tyres can go off. Guess they're achieving their directive...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Vettel had KERS until lap 29, then intermittently throughout the race. Heidfeld had it all the way through and was able to hold off a fast finishing Webber. Guess I'm the only person in here waving Webber's flag. Think he had the best race of everyone considering fastest lap and 4 stops coming from 10th after dismal start.

Amazing to see just how quickly these tyres can go off. Guess they're achieving their directive...
I'm with you about Webber, one of his best drives ever.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Hamilton: The team put the wrong tyres on
11 April 2011 Lewis Hamilton hit out at his McLaren team immediately after Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix, a race in which he initially challenged for the lead before finishing seventh. The 2008 World Champion then lost another position as he was handed a 20-second time penalty after an incident with Fernando Alonso's Ferrari.

Starting from second, Hamilton dropped to third as Nick Heidfeld’s Renault enjoyed a rapid getaway. After jumping the German at the first round of pit-stops, the Englishman proceeded to reduce Vettel’s lead until the pit-stops continued, when he was the first to change to Hard tyres and remained on the Prime compound until the chequered flag.

Hamilton spoke to FIA race stewards following his incident with Fernando Alonso“It was as terrible race,” he is quoted as saying by The Guardian. “I started second and I came eighth. I tried my best. I had four pit-stops and the tyres didn't last. I stopped before everyone else when I could have stayed out for a couple of laps more. Then the wrong tyres were put on. I had the Option instead of the Prime. For the last stint I had an old Prime, which didn't last, and I had to pit - it was very poor strategy but there's nothing I can do.”

He added that his punishment did not come as a surprise: “I knew I was going to get a penalty. I'm not surprised. I was in with the stewards, so I anticipated it. I always try to assume the worst-case scenario. It's only one spot and it's not really made me feel any worse than how the weekend has gone anyway.”
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Malaysia was a good race, and China should be even more exciting. It's good to see more teams challenging for the lead like Renault with cosmonaut Petrov at the wheel
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by morganabowen
like Renault with cosmonaut Petrov at the wheel
Martin Brundle referred to him as the "Rudderless Russian",
after Petrov launched himself into the air breaking his steering column upon landing.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-11-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
It has been reported that the DRS was not working on Alonso's car toward the end of the race.
If anyone else watched the BBC feed they might have heard a comment from Brundle that makes this hilarious. Apparently they had done a piece on the DRS system and had been given Alonso's car. Brundle says during the broadcast after the radio transmission from Alonso, "We did a piece on the DRS using Alonso's car. I hope I didn't break it." He sounded legitimately worried that he had cocked it up.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

DRS wasn’t working, Alonso confirms
10 April 2011 Fernando Alonso has verified that his Drag Reduction System (DRS, also known as Adjustable Rear Wing) failed to operate correctly in Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix, after which he received a 20-second time penalty for his incident with Lewis Hamilton.

“It was a good fight with Lewis, it was very close,” the Ferrari driver explained to reporters after the race.

“But my moving wing wasn’t working, so I couldn’t do anything on the straights and had to try in the corners. Unfortunately I then lost a piece of my front wing, so had to pit, otherwise I could have been on the podium.”
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Man, we've missed you. Don't let the haters like Raj get you down. Fight on!
Pete, hate is a strong word. I don't hate anyone, it just gets tiring after a while, when all you ever hear is one person constantly picking on the same driver, that too questioning his character.
Thats all.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
If anyone else watched the BBC feed they might have heard a comment from Brundle that makes this hilarious. Apparently they had done a piece on the DRS system and had been given Alonso's car. Brundle says during the broadcast after the radio transmission from Alonso, "We did a piece on the DRS using Alonso's car. I hope I didn't break it." He sounded legitimately worried that he had cocked it up.
Yes that's true. In the pre-race coverage MB was stood behind the Ferrari and manually opened and closed the wing to show how it works. I don't think they'll let him near the car next time!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Webber will never be allowed to get close to vettel again, well unless there is need for it. Expect more Barichello type bad luck ....

Other news: Schumacher expects better results after the winter break....
Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Wayne, must it be an evil plot, or maybe Vettel is just faster?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Vettel is faster Bob, did you not hear...? He's the next Schumacher...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

With millions of dollars on the line for constructors championship points, why would a team purposely sabotage one of their cars before the race started when there is no guarantee that the so called preferred driver would even finish the race? Only the conspiracy theorists believe in sabotage.

Vettel is a faster qualifier than Webber (Webber is not slow).
Hamilton is a faster qualifier than Button.
Alsono is a faster qualifier than Massa.

etc, etc, etc.

Some drivers can just find that little extra speed that their teammates can not find.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Errr... if you say so budlow, no team would ever favor one driver over another it's just not done at this level ...

You should read wiki more often , Webber outqualified Vettel in Malaysia in 2009/2010 this would be the first time Vettel has beaten him in qualy there as teammates...

Anyway he's the next Schumacher .................

Quick Reply: 2011 Malasian Grand Prix