Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

I may not travel this year. I have three tracks within 1.5 hours of me, I'll just go to them instead. I usually like to go to Miller or Hastings, but neither really fits into my schedule this year.

I have my RA1's from last year and bought a set of NT01's. I should be all set for tires this season with those. Car is pretty decent on brakes. Gas isn't too bad and I drive it to the track, so I don't have to pay for a RV or truck/trailer.

Costs are fairly minimal, but I time trial, so a level down from wheel to wheel.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree at the end of the day you have to make a decision to sacrifice for your hobby or stay home. I live in BFE so my closest track as a 6 hour haul. I saw this coming so I converted my Dodge Cummings to run on WVO in January & that saves me 400-600 dollars per race weekend. (thats almost 2 Hoosiers)

I also don't have any other hobbies so I can afford this one. My dad is my inspiration his whole life he planed his retirement & all the things he was going to do. Sure enough he didn't make it to the 2 year mark & he had a stroke. luckily he is still alive but all his plans are down the drain.

As someone once said. tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

Last edited by Rene; 04-11-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What is WVO?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waste vegetable oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_fuel
Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes. Did a race at Sebring in Jan @ sub-$90 oil and was hoping to go back in May.
Its a +9hr drive each way + fuel costs while there including enduro so . . . sadly bagging the race there in May for much closer events at CMP and race in June at RA (35 mins away). Simple economics.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Its interesting you say that.
Once upon a time I played to a "3" hdcp.
(have a USGA card to prove it).
After two back surgeries I gave it up (almost had to) and took up racing.
Still have the back pain , but sitting in the race seat,well adrenaline is a wonderfull drug.In the car I never feel a thing,of course getting the car ready for a race is another story.

Even though I still love golf it pisses me off to see the pro's making 10-20x the money for winning a tour then a driver does wining a typical race.
Don't get me wrong, the commitment is the same but the risk sure as hell isn't and neither is the expense.
But I've always wondered one thing.Which one gets the hotter babes. Some of those F1 starting grid gals would sure be tough to beat.
Tom B.
Tom, I feel your pain.. literally.

I too was a 3 hdcp and played 3+ times a week, a couple herniated discs still didn't stop me until it got really bad.

3 docs told me I HAD to give up golf, so I sold 6 sets of clubs and gave away all my gear.

Since I had to give up all my hobbies (golf and surfing) I decided I need some new ones, so I picked up a 997S and remembered how nice it was to have a sports car.

2.5 years later and lots of $$$ later, my 997S is now a fully built race car, and I have my racing license.

My back is doing better (except for this week that I missed a race because sciatica pain was too much when pushing the clutch.

Do I miss Golf, yes.. but not as much as I would miss racing now.

Back on topic.

Do I like high gas prices NOOOOOOO, but we have it easy. When I do track days in Europe gas is double what we pay here.. so I just think about that.

Also gas is the least expensive part in racing, so a 20% increase in gas prices is better than a 20% increase in tires (yes thats coming soon too)

Quick Reply: Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?