Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Pete,
944-spec.org is covering the toyo situation and how we plan to deal with it.

http://944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/gen...hange-proposal

we can't do anything about gas, but be happy we run only 91 octane.
Good to know that there is something being discussed about the tire situation or lack thereof. As a side note, I'm having trouble finding tires for my Honda daily driver at this point so I can imagine r comps are going to be low on the list of these factories gearing up again.

After re-reading my post, it looks like I'm saying it's 50% the race car and 50% the motorhome that's the problem. It's really 90% motorhome and 10% race car. The nearest track is 2 hours away and most tracks are 4-5 hours each way so it's really getting to the track that is a problem at these high rates of diesel.

Just an FYI, my kids kart takes 98 octane VP fuel. The price was $12.50 a gallon when oil was at $70 per barrel..... I can't imagine what it is now.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually find that the 98/100/110 is a little more price insensitive due to these momentary issues. They seem to be already so stupid expensive that a little change in the in the crude cost does not matter much. When I was in Cali few years ago and gas was closing on $4 gal, the 100 I was using at the pump was only $4.75 and pretty much stayed there.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
I usually find that the 98/100/110 is a little more price insensitive due to these momentary issues. They seem to be already so stupid expensive that a little change in the in the crude cost does not matter much. When I was in Cali few years ago and gas was closing on $4 gal, the 100 I was using at the pump was only $4.75 and pretty much stayed there.
Agreed. But much of this is based on the greed of the track owner.

Compare prices at Road Atlanta and Barber sometime, for the same fuel.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No racing, just DE for me but I have scaled back. I was seriously considering a tow vehicle and trailer for my car. After shelling out mad gas prices I no longer want one. The local track is about 60 miles away (summit point). Last weekend, I gassed up in the morning and drove to the track. Put in about 2 hours of track driving and drove home. On the same tank of gas! The rest of the time, the car (and tow vehicle/trailer would) just sits. I'll tough it out on my trip to the Glen this year. The a/c broke in the track car, so everyone around me will suffer as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the pricing is interesting.
At NJMP two weeks ago Sunoco 110 leaded was the same price as it was last year,$9.50.
I would have thought much higher,but this kinda goes hand in hand with what a chemist once told me.He said these higher octane fuels have very little petroleum in them,that they are mostly sythetic created in the lab.Ever spill some of this stuff?Practically evalporates before it hits the ground and if a drop does make it, little or no stain.
Any chemists out there who can refute or confirm this?
Tom B.

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I paid 9.50 for 100 octane. I never really pay attention. I'm in denial.

Last edited by va122; 04-05-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: error
Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

The gas costs I am dreading is for my RV, not for the race car. I don't think my foot is on the pedal enough in the race car to burn enough gas to fret over, the RV is another story...

I suppose I could switch from Corona and Guiness to Bush light and cover the fuel cost increase but....

tom
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
sig_a
Pro

I paid more this weekend for fuel than my hotel room - $39.20 w/tax.

No problem getting NT01's from Discount Tire. Not Hoosiers, but they work rain or shine pretty well.

One Day DE's are more popular than ever.

Worse than rising fuel prices would be an economic set-back a' la fall 2008.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I had issues getting Toyo R888's last week. I had to order fronts and rears from different sources and I had to call around to many places just to find them.

93 Sunoco at Sebring 2 weekends ago was right at $5 a gallon while the Shell sation up the road was $3.59. 93 today on the street was $3.98! 93 no ethanol for my boat is $4.49 a gallon.

Business for me is slowing again. This coming weekend is my last DE till after summer. Boating is being cut back this summer too. I have not seen any improvment with the economy yet.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Guiness to Bush light
He's gone soft in the head, boys...

Got any spare parts to sell of offset the cost of racing?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

100 Unleaded from the pump at Buttonwillow was $8.50 per gallon. And they had a maximum transaction limit of $50 per card swipe. Can you say annoying before every session? :-)

-mike
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wow, a 3 handicap? Damn, Tom....I am impressed.

Actually, the reason I posted that picture is because it shows the car of a friend who also posts here.

Agree about the money aspect, especially considering the risks to life & limb racing. As for the chicks, IMO it is a draw. Remember Tiger's wife?
Ahmmmm...! I'll modestly chime in and claim I was a 4 at my peak. Now 1 spine surgery later it remains to be seen where my golf game is.

VR, so how do a 3 and a 4 look to you at the Glen?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I had issues getting Toyo R888's last week. I had to order fronts and rears from different sources and I had to call around to many places just to find them.

93 Sunoco at Sebring 2 weekends ago was right at $5 a gallon while the Shell sation up the road was $3.59. 93 today on the street was $3.98! 93 no ethanol for my boat is $4.49 a gallon.

Business for me is slowing again. This coming weekend is my last DE till after summer. Boating is being cut back this summer too. I have not seen any improvment with the economy yet.
+1 on business slowing down in 2011. Couple that with the increase in gas, food, etc. etc., and track days are going to be cut out.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I dunno. I don't golf. I don't gamble. I don't fish, skydive, or ***** around. Seems to me that, since going to the track is entertainment, even with $4 gasoline, it is still much cheaper than any of these other pastimes.

Classic photo!!!

I try this argument with my wife all the time when she bitches about how expensive my "racing habit" is..... So I offer to take up another hobby, which typically is "crack and hookers"....which more accurately is "be charlie sheen"

Some of the best advice I got about "cheap" racing was this

"what part do you think is cheap; The Porsche part or the racing part!"

Even using the cheapest gas I get at the track is $5.50...vs say $4.30 for super at Chevron.... I would imagine a 944 is pretty good on gas in terms of gallons per hour at race pace....since my 928 does okay at between 7-10 gallons per hour....

Still no matter how you slice it...its $500+ per day.....not counting the cost of the car!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
100 Unleaded from the pump at Buttonwillow was $8.50 per gallon. And they had a maximum transaction limit of $50 per card swipe. Can you say annoying before every session? :-)

-mike
Just wait till you get to Cal Speeday this weekend. You have to sign a wavier to get race gas including 98 unleaded, and then only if your car's not street legal. IIRC that 98 was $8. per last month.....

Quick Reply: Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?