CA Festival of Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA Festival of Speed

Who else will be at Fontana for the PCA Club Races next weekend? Driving the enduro too?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll be there for the Pirelli race(s). Weather is looking really good for the weekend. :-)

-mike
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Who else will be at Fontana for the PCA Club Races next weekend? Driving the enduro too?
Tom are you running 650 or 680 diameter rear slicks? The banking at CS (run CCW) requires you run enough pressure in your RR tire to handle the load transposed upon it when you're flying thru the banking. It's even more relevant with that big-*** wing you have back there. There have been numerous blowouts on that banking from underinflated RR tires. Not much fun at 150MPH which I suspect is where you'll be running. The Pirelli Cup tires (and Michelin & Yokohama Cups) are 680 rears which carry more volume which equates to higher load capacity and safety....

Also, RR camber is another safety issue at Cal Speedway as you'll be placing all that load on the RR tire's inside edge thru the banking. Where I usually run 3.0-3.2 in my rears, I drop the RR to 2.5 max for CS race weekends.....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 04-03-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Ill try and make it out later this season. I really want to race there. I have to do some testing first to make sure that my splitter can handle 155mph!
(I know it can handle 140mph, but that was with a 20mph tail wind at t-hill )

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Tom are you running 650 or 680 diameter rear slicks? The banking at CS (run CCW) requires you run enough pressure in your RR tire to handle the load transposed upon it when you're flying thru the banking. It's even more relevant with that big-*** wing you have abck there. There have been numerous blowouts on that banking from underinflated RR tires. Not much fun at 150MPH which I suspect is where you'll be running. The Pirelli Cup tires (and Michelin & Yokohama Cups) are 680 rears which carry more volume which equates to higher load capacity and safety....

Also, RR camber is another safety issue at Cal Speedway as you'll be placing all that load on the RR tire's inside edge thru the banking. Where I usually run 3.0-3.2 in my rears, I drop the RR to 2.5 max for CS race weekends.....
Old 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 904 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Tom are you running 650 or 680 diameter rear slicks? The banking at CS (run CCW) requires you run enough pressure in your RR tire to handle the load transposed upon it when you're flying thru the banking. It's even more relevant with that big-*** wing you have abck there. There have been numerous blowouts on that banking from underinflated RR tires. Not much fun at 150MPH which I suspect is where you'll be running. The Pirelli Cup tires (and Michelin & Yokohama Cups) are 680 rears which carry more volume which equates to higher load capacity and safety....

At the rear, Tom is probably running Goodyear 1570 (25" x 13" x 16", R430 compound) bias-ply slicks. I suspect he is using 1 degree of negative camber or less at the rear. This is the spec rear tire for the class he runs with the PRC. The spec front tire is the Goodyear 1653 (23.5" x 11.5" x 16", R430 compound) bias-ply slick.

Scott
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

We have a few cars running this weekend.

See you there!

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gmgracing
We have a few cars running this weekend.

See you there!
Fabryce can you locate the video of James starting DFL in the PCA race there a few years back in a 6-cup? That video would really help show the proper way to run CS for drivers that haven't been there before. James's run from DFL to the front was damn exciting....
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

JR: Scott has the tires right. I've been warned about the banking and the potential problems by Jerry Woods folk. They will be providing transport and track side support so we will be adjusting as required as the weekend progresses. I'm also bringing 3 sets of rear tires just in case.

There are a few videos showing the proper track configuration on you tube. They give a good flavor of what to expect. Based on the times I see from the 2010 race, I hoping to get below 1:50 and hopefully close to 1:48. I don't think I'll be competitive against the POC guys in GT3R as the car isn't optimized for that race class, but I expect it to be fun.

Mike: I think Rich Walton will be running the '10 cup in those races too.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom W
JR: Scott has the tires right. I've been warned about the banking and the potential problems by Jerry Woods folk. They will be providing transport and track side support so we will be adjusting as required as the weekend progresses. I'm also bringing 3 sets of rear tires just in case.

There are a few videos showing the proper track configuration on you tube. They give a good flavor of what to expect. Based on the times I see from the 2010 race, I hoping to get below 1:50 and hopefully close to 1:48. I don't think I'll be competitive against the POC guys in GT3R as the car isn't optimized for that race class, but I expect it to be fun.

Mike: I think Rich Walton will be running the '10 cup in those races too.
Hi Tom, Wish I was going but it's BW for me next weekend w/NASA. Your 25.0 inch rear diameter is pretty shallow so I'd run 2-4 more lbs. back there than you normally run and check temps.

I expect you'll be in the 48's once you get comfortable. Your competition is the #23 993 RSR, Chris Cervelli's old car. He's usually in the 45's there. Have fun, stay safe....
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts

Here are a couple of videos of laps around 44s-46s. They are by no means perfect (had not been to CS in over 3 yrs when these were filmed and there's definitely another couple of seconds in the car according to the data), but reasonable for learning the track.

http://vimeo.com/6124613
http://vimeo.com/6172285
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's the video of James starting last and winning the race at Fontana...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO41sabiSPQ
Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

John: Have fun at BW, I'll be there in a couple months for my annual trek down (PCA Race in late May) - I was happy to break 2:00 for the first time last year (#1 CW with Star Mazda).

I see that Richard Price will be at Fontana too. He usually gives me a little trouble but I can usually beat him and his 993 cup, a 993 RSR will be tough but I'll have fun trying.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

Thanks for posting Laguna Dude
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I'll be there.... can't wait...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats a great video. Thanks for posting it again. starting to memorize the lines! hard to not picture where your car will go if you have a tire blow out during the banking.

how many cars get wasted in a weekend with POC or NASA from the high speed walls?

Quick Reply: CA Festival of Speed