Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA - Road Atlanta news and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
ToyCollector
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a few snaps yesterday while at Road Atlanta in Braselton, GA. I had volunteered to help staff the event but they had enough folks so I ended up taking pics instead. Twist my arm. My photos are considered copyrighted material. Leh Keen was here this year and was hell bent on breaking the track record for a Porsche GT car and would have done it if it wasn't for the inclement weather. It was pouring rain in some of these pics, thus the "grain" in some of the wet ones. Kudos to the Region leadership for changing the schedule the way they did to allow for some mostly dry racing. The region really knows how to run these things. Kudos to the racers for enduring the rain after about 10AM or so.

Leh Keen, next 2 pics

Just like Laguna Seca, people who don't go there in person, never appreciate the elevation changes by seeing it on TV. This shot trys to give that perspective.

Turn 10B

Check out his windscreen, this is going up the hill after turn 1

This Cayman kicked *** in its race

Turn 1

Max Velocity down hill into turn 10A

Last edited by ToyCollector; 03-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great pics, especially the sideways one in 10a/b.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM
PBR ME
Intermediate

Great Pics! Thanks! -- I drove the 23 Cayman!

The Cayman Interseries cars are some of the most fun cars I've ever driven. They're fast (we did several 1:33.5's today in non optimal conditions), they're relatively cheap to buy AND run, and they're not horribly difficult to drive (pretty forgiving)..... Just a great all around package!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
DanR
Drifting

You were running great all weekend and getting the MAX out of that car!

Originally Posted by PBR ME
Great Pics! Thanks! -- I drove the 23 Cayman!

The Cayman Interseries cars are some of the most fun cars I've ever driven. They're fast (we did several 1:33.5's today in non optimal conditions), they're relatively cheap to buy AND run, and they're not horribly difficult to drive (pretty forgiving)..... Just a great all around package!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PBR ME
It was the first lap of the 2nd race, and it was raining hard. We were going down the back straight, he was in a grey turbo (said "turbo RS" on the back) with NC licenese plates. There was so much spray etc, I can't say for certain what happened, but he either touched the grass on the right, or tried to correct as the car moved around a bit in the heavy rain. He hit the right side wall hard, then came across the track, and hit the left side wall hard, then spun down the left side wall to the bottom of the hill. I was immediately behind him when this happened. It was BIG!
I talked to some of his crew guys as they loaded the wreckage, they said he was ok. That's good. The car...not so much.

The car was WICKED fast in a straight line. He would pull close to 20 car lengths on me in. The straights, then I'd catch him in the corners..went like that the whole first race.....
I was having lunch in the tower with several of the other volunteers and the scrut was going over the accident with him in front of the table I was at. From what I gathered, he just hit a slick spot and the back end started to go. He immediately went both feet in. I believe the driver was saying that something in the front right broke after the first impact, but I don't know. From what I gathered, the scrut was trying to tell him he that he did nothing wrong, and couldn't really do much of anything else.

Sad thing is, the night before in tech, he was making jokes about having the "fattest" car there in reference to his weight. Driver seemed to be a good guy, took it quite well, spent a lot of time with the scrut going over what happened several times. Glad he was okay, hated to see his car wadded up.

There was a 964 RS (white, #002) that took a bigger hit later that day. On the surface, the car didn't look as bad, but looking closer, it was. There was another white 911 that had some damage in this morning's enduro, but it wasn't that bad.

Of course, the "highlight" carnage of today was at the start of the second enduro. Four cars were taken out (none severely damaged, but I didn't see the red 911 that was flat bedded off), and supposedly eight were involved.

Lots of carnage this weekend, unfortunately. Just a bad time of year in Atlanta for this race.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great pics!

Tx

c.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

The driver of the turbo is a friend of mine in Carolinas. I heard what happened from a few of the other guys in our group that went down (I wasn't there).

That car is/was very fast, and he's a good driver - and its completely street legal. He drives it back and forth to work a lot. Other than safety stuff and suspension, it's completely street stock.

He's OK. As mentioned above, just hit a very slick spot, hydroplaned, and the rest is history...

another in our group wadded up his Black RSA on Friday. Not a good weekend for the little group - I'm now kinda glad I couldn't race this weekend.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

002, DC, is one of our own and a very experienced driver. Something must have happened. Was the driver OK?

Road Atlanta in the dry, much less in the rain, is the most wicked track I have ever driven. There is always carnage because every turn is high penalty. If you have an off and aren`t collected by a wall it is an absolute miracle.

The number of incidents doesn`t seem excessively high considering we had torrential downpours almost all day Saturday and Saturday night. Today was much better unless you put a wheel off, the clay is slick and pasty and sure to make your shorts as brown as your tires.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Great pics, too bad the weather was not ideal for the entire weekend.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradisenb
002, DC, is one of our own and a very experienced driver. Something must have happened. Was the driver OK?
I believe so. I do not believe anyone was hurt (beyond pride!) this weekend. Word was that Doug(?) had a half a straight lead on the next closest guy - was pretty much kicking butt out there. Like the Seal Grey 996, just hit a slick spot. My father-in-law (E class 951) went off in 10A more than once. Very experienced guy, but was trying to be cautious in the rain - moved over to let faster cars by on the inside, and being slightly off line was like running on ice. Hit the brakes, and had no control of the car, so he went straight, adn drove around teh gravel.

Overall, considering the weather, it wasn't that bad. Just stinks that this race, for at least the past three years, has had such an issue with the weather.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

The organizers and PCA National have done a superb job adapting to changing weather conditions this past weekend. We had lots of racing and track time. Was generally a great albeit wet weekend!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
The organizers and PCA National have done a superb job adapting to changing weather conditions this past weekend. We had lots of racing and track time. Was generally a great albeit wet weekend!
Ditto!
And a big thank you to all of the vet's who put up with me out there as rookie moving chicane. Everyone was great to me with the possible exception of TP who pushed me all the way around the track to make sure we caught up with the pace car before the restart in the enduro. If I had used my head I would have ducked into the pits to give him an easier chance to catch up, rookie mistake! It worked out ok as we did catch up at Black Flag.

Thanks guys, had fun despite the conditions. Oh yea, to lazy to hook up the flat tow set up so I put the tag back on it so my kid could drive it home for me, old school style.

Chris

Last edited by chrisc; 03-28-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I brought 'The Ghost' back out this weekend, it was the number 812 white 911 S in D Stock. It was the first time I've raced this car since 2007 and it came through for me. I bested my personal best by 4 seconds in this car with a 1:45.9 on 4 year old RA-1s in the first sprint. I sat the second and third sprint out due to the weather. I decided sunday morning at 6:30 (1 minute after the torrential downpours had ended) that I was going to try qualifying out to see how bad it was. I put sticker full depth RA-1s on and qualifying 5th, I was happy and decided to do the enduro too. The track was still wet, but the rain had stopped. I lost a position on the start but got it back on lap three passing a car on the outside of 4 and then got another position on the inside of 7. I was running fourth at this point slowly inching away from a F class 944. I moved up to 3rd on lap 5 due to the misfortune of a fellow racer a couple spots ahead of me. I settled in at this point as I had lost sight of the two cars in front and the car behind was fading as well. Then we get our first caution with a car off at 6 stuck in the mud, this was on lap 13. I thought about pitting to get a jump on a possible caution, but since they didn't double yellow it with the car off at 10A in the gravel, I didn't think they'd DY it this time either. When I got back around to T3 I saw the corner workers unraveling their flags and thought since they weren't waving them yet that that I had a chance, nope. By the time I got to T5 the DY was out, i had missed my chance. After two caution laps were going again. I was split from P2 by a bunch of cars and worked magic in traffic on that first green lap and was right behind P2. Three laps later another double yellow for cars off in multiple places stuck in the mud. Once we went green I fought like hell to get past the F class 944, I could reel him in from T3, tried a pass on the outside of T4 but failed and once we got out of T5 I had nothing for him power wise. Two laps later I pitted in for my pit stop and pushed like hell once I got out to try to close the gap. I was braking for T1 when he was entering the track from his stop, I got him into the T3 but he easily passed back by on the back straight. I tried and tried and eventually outbraked myself into 10A and went off in the mud, kept it going and lost about 10 seconds in the off. I check the clock and we had less than 10 minutes left in the race and I caved into realizing that there was no way I was going to catch him at this point and backed off.

All in all a great weekend for me and it was definitely good to get The Ghost back out. A wet track is such an equalizer and makes for some interesting laps. Looking forward to VIR!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Guys, I worked safety this weekend for Peachstate PCA and would like to thank you all for a great (and mostly accident free) event. The challenging weather conditions really didn't do us any favors. Hope everyone enjoyed it and please come back next year.

Unfortunately, we can't do much about the weather...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

A really fun event despite rain half way through the event. My first time racing there after having worked the event several times and the track lived up to its reputation of being a ton of fun to drive.
Even with the rain that washed out my racing after the first sprint race I still got a lot of good racing in (I'm sorry but I'm not going to race without rain tires, on a track that is tough enough in the dry, especially with only a couple of months left on my 13/13 probation from M-O last year).
Very sorry to see Fred and Doug's car get damaged, especially since Doug's was a recent purchase from a good friend of mine up here in Minnesnowda.
Doug, maybe you can work a deal with the owner of the Blue RSA that crashed on Friday and whomever ends up with the car will end up with a race car with now three VIN numbers, all of them RSA numbers?
Well worth the trip.

Quick Reply: PCA - Road Atlanta news and pictures