Sponsored by:

HANS Sport Series vs. Safety Solutions Pro Rage

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Hybrid Pro has been around for a while longer than late last year. I use it personally and have had one for over a year. It is a fundamentally different design in the way it transfers the forces.

The R3 does as has been said has no connection to the harness. It uses the long run down the back with a chest strap to keep the head/helmet in concert with the body.

The Hybrid Pro that sits up at the top of the back has straps that come down around the body and link into the lap belt connection of the 5-7pt harness. The chest strap is used only to hold the device in place while you get in and out of the car.

IMO vision on both is pretty much the same, they both have the sliding tethers. There is a different 'feel' to each one but the second I'm on course the differences go away.
Joe,
I'm kinda dense, sorry. So, are you saying that the Hybrid Pro (Rage) is strictly for use with a 5-7 pt harness? And, since I will be using a 3 pt. that I should only consider the R3? Thanks in advance. Best,
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. The R3 is the only one I'd use with the 3 pt. harness. The others absolutely NEED the 5-7pt harness.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk as well. Easier to answer questions if you have any.

PM sent with my info.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

The lateral wings are for the (2) shoulder belts, which keep the unit in place. With only one belt available for this function it's performance will be diminished -- more so with zero belts.

Even a small 10G hit will load that structure to about 200 pounds. At the injury limit of 25-30 Gs something will have to hold it down.

Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 790 Likes on 509 Posts

^^From safety solutions website:

The R3 out performs yoke style devices in all impacts. The low top allows for easier exit. Can be used with all seatbelts (including 3 point) and is the only SFI restraint that can be used without Seatbelts!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbaker
The lateral wings are for the (2) shoulder belts, which keep the unit in place. With only one belt available for this function it's performance will be diminished -- more so with zero belts.

Even a small 10G hit will load that structure to about 200 pounds. At the injury limit of 25-30 Gs something will have to hold it down.

Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
The R3 that I have (a little older) does not have those "winglets" at the end of the wings that would presumably capture the harnesses. That's no doubt a benefit, but it probably gets closer to the HANS patent.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
^^From safety solutions website:

The R3 out performs yoke style devices in all impacts. The low top allows for easier exit. Can be used with all seatbelts (including 3 point) and is the only SFI restraint that can be used without Seatbelts!
You can use any product without seatbelts. The question is whether it works.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

You can use any product without seatbelts. The question is whether it works.
Back to the glory days of racing. Hop in and go!

Seriously, I'd take the R3 for dual purpose.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

What happens to your spine with the R3 when you have a huge rearend hit? I can see padding for comfort but what happens to that padding and where are all the forces in a big rearend hit? Most of these devices are for basilar skull fracture and tested fore/aft and sometimes offset. R3 can be used with 3pt belts but people don't get bsf with 3pt belts. So why bother with the R3 for 'those times?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
What happens to your spine with the R3 when you have a huge rearend hit? I can see padding for comfort but what happens to that padding and where are all the forces in a big rearend hit? Most of these devices are for basilar skull fracture and tested fore/aft and sometimes offset. R3 can be used with 3pt belts but people don't get bsf with 3pt belts. So why bother with the R3 for 'those times?
It comes with this:

...which can be mounted/strapped to your seat. In truth, I think the impact to the spine would be fairly dispersed and probably do more harm to ribs. I doubt anyone really knows for certain what any of these devices will do in all possible circumstances, but overall they're probably preferrable to nothing.

My question about the R3 is how it would really react in a frontal hit. You have to assume that you will stretch your shoulder belts a bit, making room behind you; and that would allow the tail of the R3 to "teeter" away from your back and allow the upper section to "totter" forward, allowing more forward head motion. The HANS and Defnder are held tight by the harnesses and should provide full restriction of forward head motion. The tail is held to your torso with a belt around the ribs, and I keep mine as tight as possible, but the body flexes a lot in heavy impacts.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Back to the glory days of racing. Hop in and go!

Seriously, I'd take the R3 for dual purpose.
I hear ya. I'm not suggesting it won't it at all, just pointing out that its effectiveness will be (severely?) diminished. Published test results would be nice...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm about to buy a head/neck restraint. Leaning towards a Hybrid Pro or Pro Rage because it may be more protective than HANS for angular loads and it may be more comfortable than a HANS. A year later with this thread-is there any more thought on whether the Hybrid Pro/Pro Rage really is the way to go?

Does anybody know how much heavier the Pro Rage is than the Rage? Does a little less weight carried by the shoulders when seated really matter for $450 extra dollars?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:12 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have put on both back to back. Standing outside the car I talked myself into noticing a difference. In the car there was no difference whatsoever.

The few times I've had someone ask about the Pro vs. the Pro Rage I've pushed them to the Pro Rage. I make less on it, but it's not worth it unless the person really wants the Pro version.

Other than the weight the chest strap connector is slightly different too, but nothing I'd worry about. Buckle A vs. Buckle B and nothing functionally different.

Go with the Pro Rage. Depending on the size I have them in stock.

--Joe
Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback Joe.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just bought hybrid pro, havent tried it yet but i will in april. Pretty comfortable in the car once its all attached. I am going to use this instructing as well, has to be better than a neck collar.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
just bought hybrid pro, havent tried it yet but i will in april. Pretty comfortable in the car once its all attached. I am going to use this instructing as well, has to be better than a neck collar.
Is it more comfortable than a HANS?

Quick Reply: HANS Sport Series vs. Safety Solutions Pro Rage