Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here tried Mobil1 Racing 0W-50?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011 | 12:29 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Just read an article about Group 5 oils, which Motul 300V is one. Not made from petroleum but various vegetable and animal oils. Supposed to have higher heat resistance, better cleaning properties, less deposits. Redline also has a line of Group 5 oils.

Anyone know more about these or have used them?
Yes- I use 300V. Each w/e I'm thrashing the 3.4 trying to keep up to 3.6s in class (with no weight penalty - but I digress) in both sprints and 3 hr enduros.

The motor is alive and well (touch wood) and burns next to no oil. We take apart the oil filter after every race and its very clean and more importantly no IMS related metal bits to be found (yet). As always YMMV.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 03-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2011 | 04:05 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you watched the short ABC Sebring special, there was a part in there that the Corvette guys were talking about their relationship with Mobil 1, and that they use the 0-50 in the GT car - that it was specifically developed for low viscosity needs like in their race cars.

Curious VR...is that why the question came up?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-24-2011 | 04:57 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

From my understanding of the Mobil 1 Xw-50 family of oils is that they are higher in ZDDP than the other families of Mobil 1 oils. They also supposedly have a higher quality control and are more consistent. I do run the 0w-30 in one of my cars and I can tell a difference in it when I use a 5w-30 or a 10w-30.

Please let us know what you think of it, as I have been contemplating the 15w-50.
Old 03-24-2011 | 05:17 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rlm328
From my understanding of the Mobil 1 Xw-50 family of oils is that they are higher in ZDDP than the other families of Mobil 1 oils. They also supposedly have a higher quality control and are more consistent. I do run the 0w-30 in one of my cars and I can tell a difference in it when I use a 5w-30 or a 10w-30.

Please let us know what you think of it, as I have been contemplating the 15w-50.
If it is a street legal oil and meets the current SM spec, I do not see how it can be higher in ZDDP than anything else out there. If you are talking about your 951, I would not run it. But again, if you have a newer motor with roller tappets and a lower frictional design, then you really do not need higher levels of ZDDP.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-25-2011 | 12:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
If you watched the short ABC Sebring special, there was a part in there that the Corvette guys were talking about their relationship with Mobil 1, and that they use the 0-50 in the GT car - that it was specifically developed for low viscosity needs like in their race cars.

Curious VR...is that why the question came up?
Bob, I did not see any of the 12 Hour broadcasts. My question was prompted by me thinking of "free" ways to lower rolling resistance, such as better wheel bearings, less brake drag on rotors, and oils.
Old 03-25-2011 | 12:43 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If it is a street legal oil and meets the current SM spec, I do not see how it can be higher in ZDDP than anything else out there. If you are talking about your 951, I would not run it. But again, if you have a newer motor with roller tappets and a lower frictional design, then you really do not need higher levels of ZDDP.
If I remember properly it is considered a specialty oil made in relatively low volumes and for some reason falls under different rules. I use VR1 in the 951 as it gets changed quite often.

Here is a quote from Mobil's faq page.

What benefits does Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 provide compared with using Mobil 1 15W-50?

"Mobil 1 Racing oils employ fully synthetic, latest generation, wide viscosity grade racing oil technology designed to help reduce engine friction and protect the engine under high output conditions in high operating temperatures. Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 motor oil offers boosted levels of anti-wear protection (nominal zinc level of 1850 ppm) for extra engine protection in highly loaded flat tappet engine designs."
Old 03-25-2011 | 08:34 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Bob, I did not see any of the 12 Hour broadcasts. My question was prompted by me thinking of "free" ways to lower rolling resistance, such as better wheel bearings, less brake drag on rotors, and oils.
that's kind of what the guy said too, and why Mobil 1 developed it. So again, my thought is if its good for them, it's probably good for our cars. However, I run Brad Penn at the moment.
Old 03-25-2011 | 09:30 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
M1 0w-50 is not a street legal oil
Mobil oils
the reason that it is not street legal is the high zddp content that will affect catalytic converters. It may also have reduced detergents as they mention change intervals of 100s of miles rather than 1000s

you can use v twin for almost as much zddp and the detergent packages that were expected in the old days, even regular M1 15w-50 isn't bad wrt zddp levels.

The oils that are most affected by reduced zddp are the acea approved oils w/ the starburst labels

the older donut labels are generally ok but it pays to check the contents as there are exceptions
Old 03-25-2011 | 10:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, that chart pretty much explains it all. Bill V to the rescue once again. Maybe you should straighten out the "Wing" thread.
Old 03-25-2011 | 09:02 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Bill thanks for the Mobil-1 chart. Interesting that 15-50 Mobil-1 has 1300 ppm of zinc and 1300 ppm of phosphorous. For the past 4 years we have been adding ZDDPplus with oil changes to the 944 and 68's.

ZDDPplus has 71,800 ppm of zinc and 51,500 ppm of phosphorous. A significant difference. compared to Mobil-1. Even with Red Line around 1800 ppm, I wonder if it is still beneficial to add this additive?.
Old 03-27-2011 | 11:21 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Calling our petro/chemical engineers............What of these values are important? I only found these 2 charts for there respective makers so far. 15w - 50

Syntec Redline

Vics 100c 19.96 19.6

Visc 210c 98.3 -

Visc 40c 183.6 138

VI 126 162

HT/HS Visc cPmin 3.7 5.8

I am wondering what specific area in formula change has caused everyone to be dumping Mobil-1 for the last three years, where these other manufactures may be stronger and if highly concentrated ZDDP additives should be continued to be added irregardless of whose oil is being used. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011 | 12:22 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Long story and older information but still relevant.
In the 80's and early 90's I raced a Datsun 240Z and I owned the local engine shop that did all the machining and I built my own engines. I was having a problem with the worm gear on the front of the crank that drove the oil pump and distributor wearing out really quickly (every race). I thought that it was due to resistance from the high volume oil pump and at the time I was running a 20/50 non-synthetic racing oil. I started to look into light weight synthetics and on my annual trip to SEMA I had a chance to speak with one of the engineers in the Redline booth. His comments supported my theories and when asked about his oil vs Mobil 1 he said that theirs only had an advantage in high temp stability...specifically around the top ring in very high compression engines. My engine compression wasn't that high and Redline wasn't readily available so I went with Mobil 1. I called Mobil 1 to see whether I should run the 5W-30 or the 15W-50 and they told me to run the 5W-30. The guy commented that they only made the 15W-50 to appease those that thought they needed a thicker oil in the summer...the 5W-30 was all I needed.
I ran it for the next season with no need to change any worm gears...problem solved. I disassembled the engine at the end of the season and there was virtually "0" wear...far better than in the past running other oils. I was sold and have been using light weight synthetics ever since.
The above story certainly supports using a lighter weight oil to reduce internal resistance in the engine and windage issues I'm sure in non dry sump engines. The issue is really whether they will work as suitable boundary layer lubricants for tappets and cams where there is potential metal to metal contact. This is where the EP (extreme pressure) additives come into play. The manufacturers have largely gone away from Zinc based EP additives in favor of greener varieties. I'm of the opinion that the Zinc based additives are more effective, which probably concurs with Mobil offering a race only non-cat oil with these older EP additives. I'll admit that I haven't looked at the ASTM test results to see if this is truly the case.
Old 03-28-2011 | 12:41 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
My question was prompted by me thinking of "free" ways to lower rolling resistance, such as better wheel bearings, less brake drag on rotors, and oils.

Hmmmm........ Who have you been talking to ?
Old 06-06-2011 | 03:29 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Any new developments on this topic?
Old 05-22-2012 | 09:59 AM
samdeshi
Advanced

0W-50

Japanese package

US package

http://www.sustina.us/product-line.php#0w50

Last edited by samdeshi; 05-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here tried Mobil1 Racing 0W-50?