Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visiting Munich and environs - tourist suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Visiting Munich and environs - tourist suggestions?

I am headed to Munich in a few weeks (mid-late April); Joanie will be with me so we are going to take some vacation time.
I figure on a couple or so days in Munich () then making a visit to Zuffenhausen. Sadly it won't be for European delivery!
What should I do to make the Porsche part of the trip special (will see the museum, of course)?
Other ideas for things to see while in the area? I've never been there before. Would love to play tourist in the Alps, though its not a great time of year weather-wise, I hear.
I wonder if the rental car should be a Boxster in late April.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The city is amazing but also the countryside has some great things to see. Neuschwanstein (nee Cinderella's castle to Disney fans) is accessible as a day trip from Munich.

The art museums in Munich are also great and divided by approximate time period. There is a lot of other history that may not be promoted in public, such as important places in the ascension of the **** party to power in Germany (Beer Hall Putsch, etc... do a google for site and historical info). The Deutsches Museum is pretty cool and they have a stainless bodied 67 911S in there with over 154K kilometers.

Finally, bier. Of course there is Hofbrau, which is interesting to walk through. But my favorite bier hall in all of the world is Schneider on the Marienplatz near the Isar Tor. Ein Mass of Aventinus and some true Weisswurste. Just get there before noon as traditionally these are a lunch specialty. Just south of Schneider is the market area where you can get lots of local goodies and the beers rotate through the local breweries. I think it is open in April but not positive.

Munich is one of my favorite places on earth. What an amazing city.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

If you want to see the Alps, we went to the Zupspitze. It was a neat day overnight trip from Munich on our way to Stuttgart.

Have dinner at the Museum. It's simply amazing. Be prepared - they serve lots of American steaks, but it's amazing. Also go to the Mercedes Museam on the other side of Stuttgart.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I love Munich.
Good beer hall on the Marienplatz. Good beer period. Take the train from the airport downtown.
The Deutche Museum is interesting. Dachau is nearby. Very sombre but very worthwhile. Take a tour.
Lot's of WWII stuff as Munich was where the 3rd Reich rose to power.

Stuttgart:
Schedule a factory tour if you can.

Mercedes museum, IMO is BETTER than the Porsche museum.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I was sticking to Munich earlier but Stuttgart is cool too. I haven't been to the new Porsche museum yet, only the old one. But the MB museum is incredible. Hitting those two places was one of the joys of my life.

If you went south from Munich for a couple days Innsbruck is not a bad train ride and is absolutely beautiful.

Man this thread has me ready for another trip. It's been three years since I've been to Munich and I was just in Berlin last year but... Ich liebe Deutschland
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salzburg in Austria is only a couple hours away too.. sightseeing.. castles.. sound of music stuff/scenery as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Never been there Rick, but have a great time and please report back.....
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

What they all said and . . . Easy day trip north to Audi museum on a good stretch of autobahn (outside of rush hour). The castle to the south (Disney) is also a good day drive and may score points with the spouse (not car related). Also to the south, may be a long day trip, Lake Koenigssee and town. Take the lake boat tour.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:04 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 257 Posts

Take the BMW factory tour (you need reservations and they do have tours in English).

The Deutsche Museum has a transportation annex. Lots of great cars, including a stainless steel 911.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:21 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Salzburg in Austria is only a couple hours away too.. sightseeing.. castles.. sound of music stuff/scenery as well.
And you can take a side trip to the Eagles Nest.

Or a bit of skiing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3LmCYZPrYc
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

Rick,

One that I haven't seen mentioned is Rothenburg. It is an old walled city and worth a day trip. It's about 2.5 hours NW of Munich on the A8/A7.

Have fun!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Both Rothenburg ob der Tauber and the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest... near Berchtesgaden) are indeed great places to visit. Rothenburg is perhaps the best preserved medieval walled city in Europe and is pretty close to Stuttgart.

I'm glad I got to Berchtesgaden before a lot of the historical WWII stuff was torn down. There were some truly interesting things there that gave a lot of context to the area.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks, guys - now that I have all this great advice and am getting excited, the client moved the trip from Munich to..................Miami, which is fine too.
But I was looking forward to Munich.
With luck there will be a follow on trip. To Munich this time.

Quick Reply: Visiting Munich and environs - tourist suggestions?